PDA

View Full Version : Gaining decibals.

rebelfromva
08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Have a few questions about gaining dbs. I like running a single sub due to box size requirements for my car. I know adding another woofer would be one of the best ways to gain on the meter but so does going to the next size woofer in most cases. What about adding sound deadener though? How much have you guys gained by just adding deadener? Which be a bigger gain going to a 15" or adding the deadener. Common answer is both but only able to do one at a time right now.

Chriszle
08-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Deadner can make you gain on the meter, or lose on the meter. It's about time and testing what works and where with your vehicle.

rebelfromva
08-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Deadner can make you gain on the meter, or lose on the meter. It's about time and testing what works and where with your vehicle.

This is very true. Kinda hard to test and tune without a meter lol. I do know my car peaks around 45 no deadener. Also it would be much louder if I could seal it off but I need my seats.

CAT MAN
08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
you going to let me get ahold of that cobalt so you can be louds?

first off deaden the **** out of that floppy thin sheet metal chevy calls a trunk take out the shocks in it so it will have the weight of the trunk sealing itself.
remove the carpet spray foam the trunk vents and cover them(thats a .4 gain for most)
add more power (both kinds)
Full tank of gas or emty tank (mine likes full tanks .1-.2 for me)
ill let you know more when i see you.

VisceralSound
08-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Adding some more power can increase it, some restrictions apply to that though.

CAT MAN
08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Adding some more power can increase it, some restrictions apply to that though.

there is a wall you will eventually hit when adding so much power.
box box box aero aero aero

jaeguerra909
08-14-2012, 06:42 AM
there is a wall you will eventually hit when adding so much power.
box box box aero aero aero

no such thing lol adding more power will all ways get u a few dbs usually only 1 or more lol biggest thing i did was bigger woofers and better box built gained 11.9 dbs by going with 2 18's and 8k

mazdakid
08-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I gained over 4db on the tl by dropping my tuning from 1.2 down to .3 and trying a different port design
Sealing off the trunk wont always gain.
Id try a single 15 if you have the space.

SUNDOWNBITCH
08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I havent metered yet but before i had no sound deadening in the trunk and now that i do it has made my car sound so much louder and more clean with the sound! I would say put as much deadening you can get in there that helped me out a TON!

mazdakid
08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Louder to the ear isnt always louder on the mic.

LBC
08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I gained over 4db on the tl by dropping my tuning from 1.2 down to .3 and trying a different port design
Id try a single 15 if you have the space.

That's a pretty low tuning frequency bro.

pro-rabbit
08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
We all can sit here and suggest what "may work" but in truth there is only one way to figure it.

Never rely on simply adding amplifier power. That will not always get you better results. Electrical is always a good bet, enclosure testing, moving things around in the car into different positions normally affects the number you will see on the TL. Sealing off the trunk is not always a good idea either.

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
We all can sit here and suggest what "may work" but in truth there is only one way to figure it.

Never rely on simply adding amplifier power. That will not always get you better results. Electrical is always a good bet, enclosure testing, moving things around in the car into different positions normally affects the number you will see on the TL. Sealing off the trunk is not always a good idea either.

yeah... I 've done a couple of sealed trunks that turned out great and did a couple that just flattened right out...

There's nothing better then a sht load of time put into an enclosure that doesn't work

pro-rabbit
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah... I 've done a couple of sealed trunks that turned out great and did a couple that just flattened right out...

There's nothing better then a sht load of time put into an enclosure that doesn't work

Yea, that will get you down in a hurry. Try having the same thing happen, but with a wall haha....Those are tough to swallow and know that you have rip it all back out..

RangerDangerV2
08-14-2012, 10:22 AM
experimentation is probably the biggest factor that will gain you the most... besides adding cone area and power.

pro-rabbit
08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
experimentation is probably the biggest factor that will gain you the most... besides adding cone area and power.

Cone area and power typically net a lower increase in results then a few 100 or so hours of testing.

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Yea, that will get you down in a hurry. Try having the same thing happen, but with a wall haha....Those are tough to swallow and know that you have rip it all back out..

:uhoh:

**** man... that can't happen!

I'll need support from my CA brethren

pro-rabbit
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
:uhoh:

**** man... that can't happen!

Going from a basic setup...to a wall is 99% always an improvement. lol

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Going from a basic setup...to a wall is 99% always an improvement. lol

what do people do wrong when it goes wrong??

rebelfromva
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Louder to the ear isnt always louder on the mic.

My XL 15 was louder on less power but that was not tl. I wouldn't mind going back to another 15 but 3.5 cubes swallows my trunk.

pro-rabbit
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
what do people do wrong when it goes wrong??

typically didn't measure twice before they cut...

Some times when chasing numbers what sounds good to ear will not work best on the meter. Same goes for any kind of mathematical figures we do. There is no way what so ever that we can design an enclosure (wall or other wise) and promise a particular SPL number. I don't care what any designer or builder suggest...it is in no way possible.

AudioAnonymous
08-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Have a few questions about gaining dbs. I like running a single sub due to box size requirements for my car. I know adding another woofer would be one of the best ways to gain on the meter but so does going to the next size woofer in most cases. What about adding sound deadener though? How much have you guys gained by just adding deadener? Which be a bigger gain going to a 15" or adding the deadener. Common answer is both but only able to do one at a time right now.
If you are serious about trying to get louder. Owning a meter is far more beneficial than adding anymore equipment.

mazdakid
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
That's a pretty low tuning frequency bro.

Yup thats how i like it

kushy_dreams
08-14-2012, 12:54 PM
If you are serious about trying to get louder. Owning a meter is far more beneficial than adding anymore equipment.

this.

start by making the trunk seal off 100% air tight, there are 2 vents in the trunk that vent under the bumper cover, make sure to seal those up real good

http://mobmg.photobucket.com/albums/v351/xsverdict/trunkvents.jpg

CAT MAN
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
no such thing lol adding more power will all ways get u a few dbs usually only 1 or more lol biggest thing i did was bigger woofers and better box built gained 11.9 dbs by going with 2 18's and 8k
there is a such thing.

Id try a single 15 if you have the space.sealing off the trunk is the most time consuming experiment for your car. subs all the way back with a long port/s at the cabin entry always works

There's nothing better then a sht load of time put into an enclosure that doesn't workmine is caught in between lol

this.

start by making the trunk seal off 100% air tight, there are 2 vents in the trunk that vent under the bumper cover, make sure to seal those up real good

http://mobmg.photobucket.com/albums/v351/xsverdict/trunkvents.jpg

glad you found a pic :thumbsup:

jaeguerra909
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
there is a such thing.
sealing off the trunk is the most time consuming experiment for your car. subs all the way back with a long port/s at the cabin entry always works

mine is caught in between lol

l

glad you found a pic :thumbsup:

ur crazy ;] nooooooo such thing lo

rebelfromva
08-15-2012, 06:03 AM
To the guys that run single sub out of a trunk, what are yall hitting sealed on the dash?

CAT MAN
08-15-2012, 06:40 AM
i was doing 41s with a mojo 12 on 1100 or so from an old pr1000.1
To the guys that run single sub out of a trunk, what are yall hitting sealed on the dash?

mazdakid
08-15-2012, 07:36 AM
About 145 sealed on the dash in the civic with my 18.
I should have my sub fixed in the next few days and switches out the 2 6" aeros for an 8". Should be able to meter again soon.

CAT MAN
08-15-2012, 08:17 AM
About 145 sealed on the dash in the civic with my 18.
I should have my sub fixed in the next few days and switches out the 2 6" aeros for an 8". Should be able to meter again soon.
is your wall sealed? also how the hell did you fit enough airspace for an 18

mazdakid
08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
My box is pretty sealed from the rest of the trunk but probably not 100%.
If i use my max width between wheel wells and max height and depth i can get about 9 cubes. My 18 only takes 3.5-5 cubes though so it fits nicely using some height from the spare tire well.

rebelfromva
08-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Well got metered yesterday, 142.3. Flipped the box around s the ported was on driver side and gained 2 db! Hopefully will be adding the deadener before the next show.