PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Impala SS rear deck enclosure ideas

sshoe
08-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I have a 1996 Impala and everything I need for my system except my subs. I have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, 2 MB Quart ONX2000.1D, MB Quart ONX80.4, Infinity Kappa 6.5s for rear doors and Infinity Kappa components for front doors as well as all the wiring I need..

I am now looking to put 2 12" Subs in the rear deck, anybody else put subs in the deck (not just ported through the deck)? I heard that it will be a lot louder and have a lot less rattle if I do it that way since most of the sound will be coming straight in to the cabin.

I am most likely going with these subs called POPS that are 1000 watts RMS each but need to know if anybody has any box designs like this

Thanks

Sleeklsc
08-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh god....Dude stay away from pops, esp if you're running what you listed.

sshoe
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Oh god....Dude stay away from pops, esp if you're running what you listed.

What model did you have and what was the problem?

Sleeklsc
08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Not sure what models they were, 1 set had a black cone the other chrome or silver..It's been a while.

It's just that people swear up and down that they're the **** when they don't have anything to compare them too. These are the same people running boss,legacy,soundstorm amps ect. To me and most other locals it's just the typical fleamarket crap. If they were any good they would've branched out by know, they've been around long enough.

sshoe
08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I had them in a ported box 2.0 cu ft each ported at 34 hz and they sounded good to me. I don't buy any cheap crap usually but I got it in a trade for my T20001 so plugged them in and they sounded good. Might have just been the box you had them in. They didn't have the sound quality like my Polk SRs, or SS RL-Ps, SA12s etc but were louder than those and better SQ then my L7s, Type-Rs, and other subs. seemed like a good mix between SQ and SPL but leaning more towards SPL. I have my HDC3s that I was planning on using but my buddy is buying them off me

Sleeklsc
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
They weren't my setups so I don't know the exact volume and tuning of said boxes. All I know is that when somebody starts bragging about haveing "pops" I start lmfao.

Jroo
08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
It sounds like you already have the subs. Good or bad, I cant tell you because I have never heard of the subs. I will say, get a design from somebody. I have heard "flea market" set ups sound incredible in the right box. Years ago, we had a local shop that had high end and really low end flea market stuff. They had some box builder/designer and he built a couple of boxes uses a mix of high end, middle of the road, and flea market subs and put it in the same car to demo. Some of the flea market stuff in the right boxes hit harded and sounded better than the high end in the factory quoted boxes. Im saying all this to say that you can make anything sound pretty good if you install and build it correctly. I have literally seen guys in the flea market parking lot swap 20 dollar woofers in a prefab ported box and wonder why it didnt sound good.

shpatb
08-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I wanted my subs to be mounted to the rear deck, but really didnt want to cut larger holes in the deck and have all that weight hanging off of it especially when the bass is hitting.

sshoe
08-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Well it def wouldn't be hanging off the rear deck. The rear deck would be cut out completely and the box installed and then a beauty board or fiberglass rear deck. Just don't how the bass would sound, so I was wondering if anybody has done it before