PDA

View Full Version : 03 explorer wall build help

sleazebagger
08-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Building a wall for my 03 explorer designed by pro-rabbit and would like to get some advice on the construction since I'm new to this level of building.

This will be set up behind the rear seats and take up the back hatch with enough room for a rack and batts.

I have a local member thats helping me but he hasn't built one either.

How would you start this process and what tips could you share?

Thanks much

chargdbassbuick
08-14-2012, 05:46 AM
well bro i would start off by takeing off all the trim panels all in the rear, carpet etc. im sure your trying to get as much room as possible out of the build . hope i could help

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:25 PM
well bro i would start off by takeing off all the trim panels all in the rear, carpet etc. im sure your trying to get as much room as possible out of the build . hope i could help

I got enough room for the setup and everything is already deadened so I'd like to think that the final baffle in front will not only flush mount the subs and the removable port but also trim the sides for a tight fit.

that back will be the same. My truck is nice so I don't want to start filling things in with great stuff and shizz.

I believe the point is to seal the box as tight and thick as possible and contain all the sound I can to the forward section of the vehicle.

right?

I get worried that there will be a cancellation if I dont pack the sides with foam:( is this true?

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
I guess people who build walls don't give a **** about others who are trying to build one...

selfish fucks

wes669
08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
thats a great way to get people to help ya bro!

Kangaroux
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Sealing it off doesn't stop cancellation so much as it does just prevents the pressure from making it to the back of the vehicle...you could always use spray foam near the back of the wall and then just put a trim panel over it to protect. Get some 2" masking/painters tape and put it on anything you'll be using spray foam on, so that way if you ever want to tear it down in the future the foam won't be stuck to everything since it'll be on the tape.

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
thats a great way to get people to help ya bro!

I'm talking crap...

I've had this up for a few days and usually people jump right in so I'm surprised:(

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Sealing it off doesn't stop cancellation so much as it does just prevents the pressure from making it to the back of the vehicle...you could always use spray foam near the back of the wall and then just put a trim panel over it to protect. Get some 2" masking/painters tape and put it on anything you'll be using spray foam on, so that way if you ever want to tear it down in the future the foam won't be stuck to everything since it'll be on the tape.

I own a painting business and thought about this approach. lol

Since you brought it up I think I'll do it for more sealing. I was also thinking about using either bed liner in the back of the box or resin.

What would you go with?

bhsdriller
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
start with the base....you can use existing seat bolts or other areas to bolt it down. Build up from there going as wide and as tall as you can

you don't need foam. Might sound kind of confusing, but all the way around the front edge of the box glue/screw strips of 3/4" mdf to the box set back 3/4". Then you make the trim panels out of 3/4" and that strip gives you something to screw the trim panels to and it sits flush with the baffle
if that makes sense lol

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
start with the base....you can use existing seat bolts or other areas to bolt it down. Build up from there going as wide and as tall as you can

you don't need foam. Might sound kind of confusing, but all the way around the front edge of the box glue/screw strips of 3/4" mdf to the box set back 3/4". Then you make the trim panels out of 3/4" and that strip gives you something to screw the trim panels to and it sits flush with the baffle
if that makes sense lol

I think it does. lol

so your saying that the space between the outside of the box and the vehical should have an extra layer of 3/4? on the front and back. So the trim panels are extra thick?

bhsdriller
08-14-2012, 08:56 PM
no not really....I'm talking about when it comes time to do the trim panels around the baffle, to make it sealed off. That strip gives you something to attach the finished trim panel to

I'll draw a picture when I get off work

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 08:58 PM
no not really....I'm talking about when it comes time to do the trim panels around the baffle, to make it sealed off. That strip gives you something to attach the finished trim panel to

I'll draw a picture when I get off work

you are awesome!!!

bhsdriller
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Uhh I can't do it right now...

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM

:blackeye:

kushy_dreams
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
lots of beer and weed, best advice you can have for any build regardless of complexity

chargdbassbuick
08-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I got enough room for the setup and everything is already deadened so I'd like to think that the final baffle in front will not only flush mount the subs and the removable port but also trim the sides for a tight fit.

that back will be the same. My truck is nice so I don't want to start filling things in with great stuff and shizz.

I believe the point is to seal the box as tight and thick as possible and contain all the sound I can to the forward section of the vehicle.

right?

I get worried that there will be a cancellation if I dont pack the sides with foam:( is this true?
correct, i would think so . i never built a wall . but ive built enough enclosures to know that sealing the sides to make it sealed firing to the front of the vehicle would yield much better results. wouldnt hurt to try.

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
lots of beer and weed, best advice you can have for any build regardless of complexity

If I smoked a joint and drank a beer about the only thing that would get done is me having a panic attack and then falling asleep. lol

kushy_dreams
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
If I smoked a joint and drank a beer about the only thing that would get done is me having a panic attack and then falling asleep. lol

poosay haha

My life must be super dull and **** because those 2 always get me motivated but after a certain point my attitude changes to **** it

sleazebagger
08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
poosay haha

My life must be super dull and **** because those 2 always get me motivated but after a certain point my attitude changes to **** it

I been sober for 7 years so doing those two things would ( quote from cheech and chong ) "grab me by the bobo"

sleazebagger
08-15-2012, 06:29 PM

bhsdriller; .... wheres my picture bro? :nerd:

bhsdriller
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I can do it now at work...hold on
You were talking earlier about sealing the back of the wall? Like around the outside or the inside of the box. If the front is sealed off good, you don't need to do the same around the back really

RangerDangerV2
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Building a wall for my 03 explorer designed by pro-rabbit and would like to get some advice on the construction since I'm new to this level of building.

This will be set up behind the rear seats and take up the back hatch with enough room for a rack and batts.

I have a local member thats helping me but he hasn't built one either.

How would you start this process and what tips could you share?

Thanks much

copying me eh??

sleazebagger
08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
copying me eh??

you doing 2 hdc3 18's walled on 4.5k to?

RangerDangerV2
08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
you doing 2 hdc3 18's walled on 4.5k to?

AA chaos 18s for beating on and atomic ap 18s for comps and what not. only 3.5k for now but I will be upgrading sometime.

bhsdriller
08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
This is for sealing off the front off the wall, around the baffle once it's done.
Not a very good drawing but should give you the idea, the top pic is like looking from the front. Wall on the inside then the trim pieces cut to fit the contours of the car. You have to have a way to attach them to the box. 2nd pic shows what I was saying with the pieces set back around the baffle, gives you something to attach the trim panels to
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/bhsdriller/1111-1.png

RangerDangerV2
08-15-2012, 06:40 PM
This is for sealing off the front off the wall, around the baffle once it's done.
Not a very good drawing but should give you the idea, the top pic is like looking from the front. Wall on the inside then the trim pieces cut to fit the contours of the car. You have to have a way to attach them to the box. 2nd pic shows what I was saying with the pieces set back around the baffle, gives you something to attach the trim panels to
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/bhsdriller/1111-1.png

I would just go with another full baffle that conforms to the vehicle to seal it off. thats what im doing...

pro-rabbit
08-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I always do a full 1 piece baffle. Much much better.

bhsdriller
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I would just go with another full baffle that conforms to the vehicle to seal it off. thats what im doing...

takes more wood, can be harder to get that big piece in and out...making sure it fits snug.
This way is pretty easy

sleazebagger
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I get the picture... and after obsessing about this for two weeks I have thoroughly planned it out in my head...

Thanks to you guys