PDA

View Full Version : Hello

UrbanSprawl
08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Hello, I'm new here, as the forum title suggests, and I was looking for some help. I'm looking to start putting new speakers and such to replace the factory parts. It's a '97 Cavalier so I'm really not looking for a system that's worth more than the car. I was hoping to start with the subwoofers, as the music i listen to is full of bass. I've been looking over the forums and had no luck. If someone could point me to a beginner post/thread/faq, I would greatly appreciate it!

chillin
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome. Start looking through the subwoofer subforum and read as much as you can to get an idea of what you are looking for, then ask a question if you need to. Try to include how much you want to spend, the type of sound you are looking for(spl, sq, or sql), and how much room you have and power you have.

UrbanSprawl
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Great, I've been looking through the sub subforum (ha) and thus far have just found way over my head terminology as well as builds that are so expensive I can't find anything useful. I was looking for a thread all on what to look for in a sub? My main goal is to spend under 300 to start, and i'm mostly going for volume with okay quality. I'm also starting with nothing though, I'll look into everything i have from manufacturer. The only manufacturer part i have is a head unit. I'm assuming if I'm going for volume I'll be wanting high RMS and lots of wattage so I'm expecting to purchase an amp.

chillin
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
300 including sub, amp, box and wiring or just sub?

UrbanSprawl
08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Lots of wood and carpentry skill at my disposal, so I'm thinking about building my own box. Yes, is that way too low for what I'm asking? Not a lot of money to throw around, i'm a mcslave with 20 hours of marching band and senior classes, so i'm doing what i can at the moment. If you suggest just saving up more then i guess that's that and i'll just do a lot of research =/

chillin
08-10-2012, 09:58 PM
If you don't mind buying used and can build your own box, you could do ok, but an extra 100-200 would be a big help I think.

UrbanSprawl
08-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Ok. I'm not super worried about buying used, I know some basics like listening before i buy. I actually found a couple kenwood subs, 12" 400W RMS i think it was 2ohm impedance, i'll double check monday, and they were 60 each. I've been doing some pricing online, but i also don't want to buy 20 dollar 12" subs, i feel like there's a reason they are 20 bucks..

chillin
08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Just an example of an amp an sub combo that would work very well running between 300 and 330. So if you save about 400 you will have enough for wiring and any other miscelaneous you need.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/552056-8-diamond-audio-d3-1000-1-amps.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/550483-obsidian-audio-12-d2-fresh-recone.html or

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/553250-two-xfl-1244-nw-styles.html