PDA

View Full Version : Having strange head unit issues

skatingrocker17
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I just bought a 1995 GMC Sierra Z71 for the winter. It came with a crappy Dual head unit that worked fine. I took it out and put a JVC in from 2011, it worked fine when just the battery was on so I set all my presets. Then, I started driving and about two minutes later it went into protect mode.

I had another head unit laying around, a Pioneer. It works just fine too right when I turn the truck on and sometimes it'll work fine when I'm driving it too but eventually sound will stop coming out of the speakers. The head unit still functions normally, just no sound. This sometimes happens after 30 seconds or 5 minutes of driving. Sometimes it starts working again while driving and sometimes it doesn't. I assume this might be the Pioneer going into its "Protect" mode whereas the Dual probably worked fine because it didn't have one.

What could be the issue or what should I try?

goingdef
08-07-2012, 08:14 PM
possibly a speaker wire shorting out, my buddy's shoddy wiring job in his camaro did the same thing I just ran new speaker wires and the problem disappeared.

TreyE
08-07-2012, 09:25 PM
possibly a speaker wire shorting out, my buddy's shoddy wiring job in his camaro did the same thing I just ran new speaker wires and the problem disappeared.

Definitely a wiring problem.

keep_hope_alive
08-08-2012, 12:25 AM
yep, pics of the wiring behind your head unit? it should look something like this:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e128/phat_funky_beats/1990%20Cadillac%20Deville/caddydash032.jpg

skatingrocker17
08-08-2012, 01:39 AM
It's wired correctly using the harness. It's not my first time doing that. I'm thinking there's a wiring problem somewhere else where maybe it's not getting enough voltage or something at times? Just sitting there with the truck on everything is fine but when I start going the sound stops and stays off usually, even if I stop it stays off on all of the speakers.

Spldecendant
08-08-2012, 03:11 AM
If 2 of the wrong wires are touching the deck will go into protect my friends jvc did the same and then I rewired it and it was perfect

CBeck
08-08-2012, 03:22 AM
possible bad ground...