View Full Version : Running amp through back speakers

Sam Milgate
08-07-2012, 02:22 AM
I've been told that you can run your amp from your back speakers (and not connect it to your head unit). this means that I would not have to get a new head unit for my car if possible. Does this reduce the quality of the rear speakers? Can I have some details about what sort of amp I would be looking for?

08-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Better off with a new head unit... But if you are dead set on not getting one, you have to use a line-out converter (LOC). You crimp the LOC onto the speaker wires. It shouldn't affect the sound you hear coming from the rear speakers, either.

Sam Milgate
08-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Ok. Can I run a LOC from right where my speaker wires join the rear speakers, or do I need to run them from near the head unit? Any thoughts on price/quality of LOC's? Will a LOC be suitable for a Mono Amp (to solely run a sub)

08-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Run the LOC from where ever you want, just needs input from somewhere.

LOC works for subs as well. Just be sure that if the LOC is connected to rear speakers, that you have the low pass set on your amp.

I used a Audio Control LC6I in my car, think it was 150$. You can get cheep ones for 20$

(trying to put this in the right words) but I wasn't really satisfied with the LOC. If you are just trying to get a little bit louder n more bass in your system, then a LOC should do the job. But I guess I was expecting a little bit too much from a LOC. I tried to do what you are doing, and ended up buying a new HU a month later, and now im stuck with a LC6I that I have no use for. I guess what im trying to say is, maybe look into some HU's, even used ones do the job. If you have the OEM HU in your car chances are just about any aftermarket HU will sound better.