PDA

View Full Version : Sub Killing My Speakers??

Devilsob
03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
i was talking with someone about my sub box. i pritty much have everyhing down pat. but i ran into a problem.

he said that my sub would kill my rear- deck.

is this true. if so how where should i place the sub?

i got a mustang.

Drum437
03-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, it wont "kill" your speakers literally. He was proobbably trying to say that your subs would be overpowering them (drowning them out), but they will still put out some sound though

ramos
03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Ask him what he means by kill ? Do harm or damage ? I highly doubt your trunk is tight enough to accomplish that. :)

Benny212
03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
well, I saw one guy that was using his whole trunk, and the ports were firing right at the speakers in the rear deck. he ripped one of the cones on his rear fill speakers. but he was runnin quite a bit of power on some nice subs. I dont think you'll have to worry.

jcash1995
04-13-2004, 10:59 PM
I know it's a little late, But I gotta reply. I'm assuming your mustang has a trunk, not a hatch. Therefore it is always a good idea to use a baffle around your rear-fill speakers to keep the pressure from the sub from pushing your cones out. Always a good idea to use baffles especially in a sealed trunk.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UUG01R6twO9/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=11&g=762&s=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

helotaxi
04-14-2004, 02:31 PM
The pressure created by the subs doing their job will play hell with your rear deck speakers unless you do something about it. At best it will make them sound horrible by causing the cone to move when it isn't supposed to, and at worst it can tear surrounds and cones. You have two options. 1) get rid of the rear speakers and let the bass funnel into the cabin through the now vacant speaker cutouts or 2) put the rear speakers in some kind of enclosure. Those foam baffles will not help much. They are designed more to keep door speakers from getting wet. You need some kind of rigid enclosure to keep the pressure from the subs from getting to the rear of the speakers. You can build them out of MDF or fiberglass or whatever you can think of.