PDA

View Full Version : how much should i pay for a custom box to be built?

08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
hi guys, sorry if im posting this in wrong area. please move if it is.

well, im thinking of getting a custom box made for me. nothing special. probably a bandpass for an 8" inch sub. no plexiglass. just a simple box and carpeted.

it to be specifically made for a sub that ill be picking out first.

i found a local guy that says he can make it for me but im not sure what a custom box goes for now a days.
how much should i be paying for the the custom box?

assassin1840
08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
hi guys, sorry if im posting this in wrong area. please move if it is.

well, im thinking of getting a custom box made for me. nothing special. probably a bandpass for an 8" inch sub. no plexiglass. just a simple box and carpeted.

it to be specifically made for a sub that ill be picking out first.

i found a local guy that says he can make it for me but im not sure what a custom box goes for now a days.
how much should i be paying for the the custom box?
just make it ur self its not that hard and to make my box it cost me just 40 bucks and mine was for 2 12s

08-05-2012, 12:57 PM
just make it ur self its not that hard and to make my box it cost me just 40 bucks and mine was for 2 12s

thanks for the reply, i was waiting for someone to post this (statement) as it seems like a recurring theme with most posts on this forum. lol

i cant do it for a few reasons and here are some; dont have the time, no tools, no place to do it at, not enough experience.

so, again what should i be paying for this?

Iosias
08-05-2012, 01:07 PM
It all depends on the quality and level of service you would be receiving, personally if there gonna be using a generic design I wouldn't pay more then 80$ If you go and have a design done for the 8" sub and its something a litle more complex id say 100-120$ I build my own boxes so these numbers are more of how id value someones elses work for me.

wenn_du_weinst
08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I would charge $50 for design and 1.5 times cost of materials.

pickup1
08-05-2012, 01:09 PM
an 8 in a bandpass?cant go bigger sub,maybe ported?

audiobaun
08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I myself wouldnt pay over $160,thats a real custom made box ..wrapped, ported, tuned,and good MDF of 3/4,and routered for the sub to sit flush with the box..for an 8, that for me would be a fair price

assassin1840
08-05-2012, 01:27 PM
**** my car audio shop would only charge 80-100 for a single 8 so keep that in mind. they only wanted 175 for my 2 12s

audiobaun
08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
**** my car audio shop would only charge 80-100 for a single 8 so keep that in mind. they only wanted 175 for my 2 12s

Did you get it wrapped in in vinyl,routered edges and for the sub to fit flush??If so GREAT DEAL!!

pro-rabbit
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Price will change and is more subject to who is building it. Some times the cheaper the price there is a reason. In most cases you do get what you pay for, but in some cases like shops that is not the case. They will over charge you many times and still not get the results you want. Some shops do a great job though....

So to be honest, it is a roll of the dice. Our prices are pretty standard, but we don't list band pass pricing as those prices can change with a simple alteration of how the port is setup...simply to many variables to consider when shopping for enclosures.

duanebro
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I would expect to pay $100+

Please know that not all subs work well with band pass enclosures, you should work with whoever will be designing and building the enclosure to make sure you get the right sub for the job. (Also, ask how they design the enclosure. Using rule of thumb or just guessing will not work well normally)

08-05-2012, 03:41 PM
an 8 in a bandpass?cant go bigger sub,maybe ported?

im limited on space.
i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would need a certain dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I would expect to pay $100+

Please know that not all subs work well with band pass enclosures, you should work with whoever will be designing and building the enclosure to make sure you get the right sub for the job. (Also, ask how they design the enclosure. Using rule of thumb or just guessing will not work well normally)

what questions should i ask?

duanebro
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
im limited on space.
i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would a dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Band pass is often bigger than a ported box for the same sub. As far as what you should ask- how do you design a BP box? What program do you use? How does it compare to a ported or sealed box for that sub? What is the frequency response of the BP? ... You don't need to ask all these things, just try to see if he knows what he is doing.

quackhead
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
have you considered a 6th order compound loaded enclosure?

JoshC
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
no 8 gets loud and clean unless ure in a jeep of single/crew cab pickup. But the Sa-8s and DD 1508s do a pretty good job of making some noise for 8in subs

08-05-2012, 06:07 PM
i was watching a youtube video that said the smaller woofers sould like they are punchy and the bigger sizes are boomy. if this is true can i compensate with a lower freq?

08-05-2012, 06:09 PM

im not familar with 6th order boxes. what is the sound difference?
what will i gain or lose from this version?

08-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Price will change and is more subject to who is building it. Some times the cheaper the price there is a reason. In most cases you do get what you pay for, but in some cases like shops that is not the case. They will over charge you many times and still not get the results you want. Some shops do a great job though....

So to be honest, it is a roll of the dice. Our prices are pretty standard, but we don't list band pass pricing as those prices can change with a simple alteration of how the port is setup...simply to many variables to consider when shopping for enclosures.

so what would you charge for something like this with maybe rounded edges and carpeting. estimate is ok too. (4th order) and maybe (6th order). just curious what it would run on either cost.

assassin1840
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Did you get it wrapped in in vinyl,routered edges and for the sub to fit flush??If so GREAT DEAL!!
i didnt have them do it i made it my self cheaper but yeah thats the price they would do that all for but for some reason you want a jl w7 13 box then they want 300 or so for it wtf lol

quackhead
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
im not familar with 6th order boxes. what is the sound difference?
what will i gain or lose from this version?

You were wanting the most output from a bandpass type box. I should have said "Isobaric 4th order series tuned bandpass" The isobaric loaded 4th order bandpass has 2 subs that are mounted face to face on either side if the internal baffle. One sub is wired out of phase with the other, as one cone moves outward, the other moves inward. Essentially creating a box that handles twice the power and 2 drivers doing the work of one sharing the same airspace.
http://images.the12volt.com/12voltimages/isobandpass.gif

Jay Biz
08-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Just curious, being set on an 8" what kind of car/truck is this going in? Im thinking there are 10's that definately get down and dirty with limited airpace.

duanebro
08-05-2012, 10:31 PM
You were wanting the most output from a bandpass type box. I should have said "Isobaric 4th order series tuned bandpass" The isobaric loaded 4th order bandpass has 2 subs that are mounted face to face on either side if the internal baffle. One sub is wired out of phase with the other, as one cone moves outward, the other moves inward. Essentially creating a box that handles twice the power and 2 drivers doing the work of one sharing the same airspace.
http://images.the12volt.com/12voltimages/isobandpass.gif

This is not a good idea for the SA8. Isobaric loading allows you to use a box half the size of just one sub, but you don't gain any spl by doing so. And the box is so small with just one driver in it that it might not fit.

FWIW Ported is smaller than any band pass box for the sa8. And a 4th order bp will have less output. You can get more output with a 6th order bp, but it is bigger (1.2cf in my model) And now you can use a SA-12 in a box about the same size and get the same spl and more head room.

08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
not looking for bigger guys. just looking to see what i need to pay for an 8" inch band pass box. quality and built right for a specific speaker. ... and looks good too, simple look.

no special painting, no special designs, no extra swirlies squirrelies, no wierd shapes, no "lets bump up the sizs to a 10 inch, 12 inch or 15 inch" , etc.

just pricing on a carpeted box that looks like it was made with quality and sounds amazing.

08-06-2012, 04:18 AM
This is not a good idea for the SA8. Isobaric loading allows you to use a box half the size of just one sub, but you don't gain any spl by doing so. And the box is so small with just one driver in it that it might not fit.

FWIW Ported is smaller than any band pass box for the sa8. And a 4th order bp will have less output. You can get more output with a 6th order bp, but it is bigger (1.2cf in my model) And now you can use a SA-12 in a box about the same size and get the same spl and more head room.

thanks for explaining that. so i would need to get a second sub to make that order work. well i guess not then because i want to just make a single sub work like it has never worked before. a single 8 inch sub would just be perfect for me

Bettr n' Revrse
08-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Have one of the builders here do one for you...

Mitch86
08-06-2012, 05:43 AM
not looking for bigger guys. just looking to see what i need to pay for an 8" inch band pass box. quality and built right for a specific speaker. ... and looks good too, simple look.

no special painting, no special designs, no extra swirlies squirrelies, no wierd shapes, no "lets bump up the sizs to a 10 inch, 12 inch or 15 inch" , etc.

just pricing on a carpeted box that looks like it was made with quality and sounds amazing.

People are suggesting a larger sub because a 8" sub in a bandpass will most likely take up around the same space as a ported 10". Basically, you will have better output and take up the same amount, or less space with a larger subwoofer. A 4th order is not a good option for space saving. You could probably do 2 8s in an aeroported enclosure in roughly the same airspace as the 4th order.

tc300
08-06-2012, 05:45 AM
a custom box sound be tuned to your music taste and to your cars cabin gain.... but in alot of cases, you get what u pay for!! keep that in mind....

quackhead
08-06-2012, 10:00 AM

I guess I missed the part where OP has asked for a box designed around the sa 8...hmm..
Obviously you see the smaller footprint advantage of the 4th order bandpass isobaric loading, which can be done with 2 8" subs that are cheaper in cost combined than the sa 8 without loss in sq.

xSPLoder
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
around my neck of the woods, they charge in the $220-$250 range for a dual 12 slot ported box

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
a custom box sound be tuned to your music taste and to your cars cabin gain.... but in alot of cases, you get what u pay for!! keep that in mind....

This is very true. Very few builders/designers ever take anything other then... "this will work" into consideration when building and designing your enclosure. Now remember it will work..but there is more then likely a better or more efficient way of getting it done. In other words, you are more then likely not getting your maximum performance out of that application.

As for our pricing, typically for BP applications I put a bit of time in it for free to get a "rough" idea on the design then offer out a quote. That way we are all on the same page and expect the same results and look.

quackhead
08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
im limited on space.
i currently have a 12 incher i would love to use but the builder said that it would need a certain dimension that i do not want at the moment. so just something nice, loud, clean, that has a very small foot print.

hmm..you have this 12" in a sealed enclosure? PR will probably be your best bet in that case.

08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
People are suggesting a larger sub because a 8" sub in a bandpass will most likely take up around the same space as a ported 10". Basically, you will have better output and take up the same amount, or less space with a larger subwoofer. A 4th order is not a good option for space saving. You could probably do 2 8s in an aeroported enclosure in roughly the same airspace as the 4th order.

actually the order of requirement is that i want a bandpass. i just need the smallest version of a band pass. i dont neet the smallest box for a larger subwoofer.

08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
hmm..you have this 12" in a sealed enclosure? PR will probably be your best bet in that case.

no its not being used. its just sitting in the garage.
whats a PR?

08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
As for our pricing, typically for BP applications I put a bit of time in it for free to get a "rough" idea on the design then offer out a quote. That way we are all on the same page and expect the same results and look.

...how much again?

quackhead
08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
The Subwoofer DIY Page - Passive Radiator Systems (http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/)

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 12:21 PM
...how much again?

I would need more information and then I would have to put some time into a rough design in order to offer a price for the work. It is not as easy as just tossing out numbers do to the vast number of factors. Some BP enclosures are fairly simple to build while others are more difficult and require more time for assembly.

08-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Just curious, being set on an 8" what kind of car/truck is this going in? Im thinking there are 10's that definately get down and dirty with limited airpace.

I guess I missed the part where OP has asked for a box designed around the sa 8...hmm..
Obviously you see the smaller footprint advantage of the 4th order bandpass isobaric loading, which can be done with 2 8" subs that are cheaper in cost combined than the sa 8 without loss in sq.

around my neck of the woods, they charge in the $220-$250 range for a dual 12 slot ported box

hey thanks guys for the reply but..
there seems to be some confusion . the order of requirement is in the wrong direction. im looking for a bandpass this time for my box. but i would like it be the smallest version of a bandpass. i dont want a sealed or just a ported version. i would like to try out a bandpass this time.

kinda of like when a person wants to eat ribs but everyone keeps saying to eat steak, eat steak its better just put some bbq sauce on it, or eat chicken and put bbq sauce on it, but my preference is that i want ribs this time around.

....again what price should i be paying for such a small job?

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
To give you an idea on size, here is a 10" enclosure we did for a client some time ago.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/prorabbit/Designs/sabandpass.png

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I paid $140 for 2 15" sub up port back

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I paid $140 for 2 15" sub up port back

He is asking about a band pass enclosure.

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I know, he is looking for a bandpass, I'm just saying how much I paid for my box

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Nvm came out as far to rude haha

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
If the OP does not need my post what did it hurt? it might not be relevant to you but might be relevant to others, for example if somebody can build me a custom box for 2 15"s slot ported $140, bandpass box for an 8" does not require that much material compared to a slot vent ported dual 15s. probably more work needs to be done on bandpass, but at least he can weight it. less material more work etc..

quackhead
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
hey thanks guys for the reply but..
there seems to be some confusion . the order of requirement is in the wrong direction. im looking for a bandpass this time for my box. but i would like it be the smallest version of a bandpass. i dont want a sealed or just a ported version. i would like to try out a bandpass this time.

kinda of like when a person wants to eat ribs but everyone keeps saying to eat steak, eat steak its better just put some bbq sauce on it, or eat chicken and put bbq sauce on it, but my preference is that i want ribs this time around.

....again what price should i be paying for such a small job?

lol...aside from the suggestion of doing the PR design with the sub you wished to use, every suggestion I have made has been towards the most compact bandpass design. The issue is finding the driver(s) suited best for the box design you choose.

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
If the OP does not need my post what did it hurt? it might not be relevant to you but might be relevant to others, for example if somebody can build me a custom box for 2 15"s slot ported $140, bandpass box for an 8" does not require that much material compared to a slot vent ported dual 15s. probably more work needs to be done on bandpass, but at least he can weight it. less material more work etc..

Actually with out knowing more about your enclosure and build pictures of the enclosure it is not very relevant at all. Not being rude there, just honest.

Also, a slot port enclosure of any size has no bearing against a BP setup. Again not being rude..just honest.

quackhead
08-06-2012, 12:51 PM

not really, just less room for error, or should I say, tighter tolerances in the design is required.

dbeez
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Materials to build a box are cheap this isn't new experience craftsmanship and labor cost is what you pay for there's a local who builds more boxes than I do monthly however I have seen his boxes and they are trash he charges about $20 less than me and I. Will not budge on my prices a 2-15 slot ported box from me would run $235 plus shipping to start as it would take 2 sheets of wood and lots of my time .

08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
lol...aside from the suggestion of doing the PR design with the sub you wished to use, every suggestion I have made has been towards the most compact bandpass design. The issue is finding the driver(s) suited best for the box design you choose.

i agree with you. im still asking around to see which is best for a bandpass in the size of an 8" incher.

08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
To give you an idea on size, here is a 10" enclosure we did for a client some time ago.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/prorabbit/Designs/sabandpass.png

yeah thats what i was thinking of. seems like you read my mind. i wanted the look to be like a tube version.

i see some sort of slots in the rear. is it safe to say the more slots the better the sound or am i totally off?
please explain if you could how to make it sound clean. im looking for less of a punch sound but more of bass that carries for the 8 incher? if im even making any sense.

how bad will it hurt the sound if i wanted to add a plexiglass at the front to see the woofer?

quackhead
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
the design has never really taken off in car audio,IMO, due to the complex design for the DIY(and space req.). There are still one or two companies that have been manufacturing quality Bandpass designs for decades.
Toby Car Bandpass Subwoofers (http://www.toby.com/CarAudio/carbpboxes.htm)

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I agree and Toby has some great enclosures. While they come pre-loaded they are still great overall. His are designed with efficiency in mind so there is no need for a lot of power in order to have a good level of "loudness".

And for those who don't know..he was the first to use those kind of ports...not other designers/builders who take the credit for it.

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Actually with out knowing more about your enclosure and build pictures of the enclosure it is not very relevant at all. Not being rude there, just honest.

Also, a slot port enclosure of any size has no bearing against a BP setup. Again not being rude..just honest.

you are probably right, so OP pm if me if you need more info, but like I said I paid $140 for my sub up port back slot vent for 2 15's :cool:

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
you are probably right, so OP pm if me if you need more info, but like I said I paid $140 for my sub up port back slot vent for 2 15's :cool:

You should post pics and a video if you are proud. Always nice to see what others are doing these days. (start your own thread though to keep from hijacking this one).

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.floridaspl.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=2796&d=1338122735 Sorry OP

BrownVanMan
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
i charge 100 plus materials for any box up to 2 woofers. that with no carpet and no other extras.

dbeez
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Box looks good I am quite concerned about the port area though.

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Box looks good I am quite concerned about the port area though.

Yea, that is what I was thinking as well.

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 05:24 PM
That's also my thought, it looks very small doesn't it? I am careful when i crank it due to that, i did hit 143 on this box

Sorry again OP for hijacking

dbeez
08-06-2012, 05:26 PM
http://www.floridaspl.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=2796&d=1338122735 Sorry OP

Umm details on the port area please

08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
pro rabbit, you still have not given me an estimate yet. you already know what im looking for.

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Umm details on the port area please

Port: 15 1/2H x 2W x 28L= 30Hz PP1= 15 1/2 x 15 1/2" PP2= 15 1/2 x 8

dbeez
08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Um you need new box I will be home in just a minute and run some quick numbers on that

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
pro rabbit, you still have not given me an estimate yet. you already know what im looking for.

i will send you a PM shortyly. I am working on a few other designs right now and will get you a quote right after that. Do you want a quote with and with out plexi?

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Um you need new box I will be home in just a minute and run some quick numbers on that

I'm sure after some math you will find that that port area is rather low and the ports are very "skinny".
naughtyca, what subs are you using?

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Vvx 15

pro-rabbit
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Vvx 15

Yea, I would look into having a different setup. I'm sure it sounds decently well now, but would do much better with a different port setup...

dbeez
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
What amp you using

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
What amp you using

brz 1700

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Yea, I would look into having a different setup. I'm sure it sounds decently well now, but would do much better with a different port setup...

Thank you for the suggestion when i get more money I will look into getting a better box

dbeez
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Skar built that box didn't they.

naughtyca
08-06-2012, 07:38 PM
no somebody else did

08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
i will send you a PM shortyly. I am working on a few other designs right now and will get you a quote right after that. Do you want a quote with and with out plexi?

both. im am kinda now intrigued with being able to see the woofer inside but again im worried if the plexi will ruin the sound quality. unless you say it doesnt.
also whats the lowest freq i can go with?

dbeez
08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
no somebody else did

It just looked Iike a skar special

quackhead
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
both. im am kinda now intrigued with being able to see the woofer inside but again im worried if the plexi will ruin the sound quality. unless you say it doesnt.
also whats the lowest freq i can go with?

the sound quality will be the same with or without plexi, as long as the plexi is thick enough not to flex. I am confident with pro-rabbit it will be structurally sound.

08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
the sound quality will be the same with or without plexi, as long as the plexi is thick enough not to flex. I am confident with pro-rabbit it will be structurally sound.

with this small box what would normally be used?
how many inches thick?

also what size thickness is available out there?

quackhead
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
with this small box what would normally be used?
how many inches thick?

also what size thickness is available out there?

actually, as I understand, Lexan is stiffer than plexi. In Lexan, 1/2" thick should be fine for the small window you intend, In acrylic, or plexiglass, 3/4" material. I am not a builder, I am just going by the few windows and boxes I have seen. If you choose a good builder, they will probably be able to be more specific on this than I.

08-06-2012, 10:44 PM
i got a quote back from the guy who is local to me.

tell me what you all think about him and should i go with him?

"I only use a port length calculator everything else i manually calculate with the dimensions given to me. for a standard bandpass enclosure i charge 240 without carpet since its a single 8 inch enclosure, i'll do it for 200 without carpet. I guarantee my work or your money back."

also it was quoted with no plexi.

08-08-2012, 11:53 AM
???

Flex68
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
http://pics.rubylane.com/shops/crazy4carnival/ftp/Dr Evil.jpg

And I quote...

2 bills is not bad if it is what ur looking for, you are confident it will be quality and will perform as expected, and the builder is reputable