PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ground RCAs???

JoshC
08-04-2012, 12:55 AM
So i installed a pioneer 9400 the other day and love it, only deal is when nothings playing the volumes anywhere about like 18-22(max is set to 40) i hear a faint high pitched static in the background, and i can honestly here it during music too since its so high pitched.

I never hot swapped my RCAs, only touched them during initial install before power was connected to unit. Like it said its very faint, dosnt get louder with rpms or anythings.

So im guessing i should just go ahead and ground them right? My cable is high end stinger and i know the RCAs good. Im wanting somthing a little more, professional/permanent then a few screws holding bare wires. My stingers are the ones with alloy caps so im also considering wraping them in electrical tape or heat shrink. Any help is appreshated

Kangaroux
08-04-2012, 12:58 AM
If you wanna do something more professional than the wire and the screw, then open the headunit and resolder from grounds. Honestly the wire/screw trick isn't that ghetto and it's not like anyone is going to see it anyways. Hell you could even solder down the wire straight to the chassis if you wanted to.

JoshC
08-04-2012, 01:02 AM
If you wanna do something more professional than the wire and the screw, then open the headunit and resolder from grounds. Honestly the wire/screw trick isn't that ghetto and it's not like anyone is going to see it anyways. Hell you could even solder down the wire straight to the chassis if you wanted to.

I may do that, i have a good station and iron. Im hoping i can find some rings about the size of RCA plugs with crimp ends on them there there not just wrapped around

keep_hope_alive
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM
"high end stinger" doesn't mean they are fine. use your DMM to measure resistance pin-pin, shield-shield, and pin-shield. the first two should be near 0.2 and the third should be around a Mohm. do that on each one first. they are made in asia and anything can have failures. i've seen factory failures in $300 HT RCA's. That is why i like two-piece headshells, so i a can repair them.

you can internally ground the shields. just solder a wire to the internal shield connection, and take that to HU signal ground. that is what i would personally do.

NightScreams
08-04-2012, 12:05 PM
you can internally ground the shields. just solder a wire to the internal shield connection, and take that to HU signal ground. that is what i would personally do.

just curious, but will grounding the shields help with faint buzzing sound? i have a processor that kinda has a constant buzz in the background. without it installed i don't hear it.

keep_hope_alive
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
buzzes are usually ground loops. lowering ground resistance can help with that. some processors have a ground switch as well (audio control)

JoshC
08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
buzzes are usually ground loops. lowering ground resistance can help with that. some processors have a ground switch as well (audio control)

Well i didnt used to have any background noise with my alpine cda-105 then it started with it, i grounded the RCAs and it went away. Then i installed this new pioneer, properly i might add(RCAs then power plug) and i just hear it a bit. Do you think the pioneer could be picking up a ground loop the alpine didnt? Its just the pioneer wanting the rcas grounded

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

"high end stinger" doesn't mean they are fine. use your DMM to measure resistance pin-pin, shield-shield, and pin-shield. the first two should be near 0.2 and the third should be around a Mohm. do that on each one first. they are made in asia and anything can have failures. i've seen factory failures in $300 HT RCA's. That is why i like two-piece headshells, so i a can repair them.

Im going to ground RCAs now, if that dosnt clean it up ill check the rcas via dmm

keep_hope_alive
08-04-2012, 05:20 PM
i notice noise is dependent on equipment used. it's in the design of the audio circuits, power supplies, preamp, preout, etc. some are more noisy than others. for the most part, i never have issues with Alpine head units - and that's after 16 years and at least two dozen different ones.

we put the Pioneer 980bt in the Scion feeding the Audison LRx5.1k. no noise there either. but the Audison is very well engineered.

JoshC
08-04-2012, 06:39 PM

i notice noise is dependent on equipment used. it's in the design of the audio circuits, power supplies, preamp, preout, etc. some are more noisy than others. for the most part, i never have issues with Alpine head units - and that's after 16 years and at least two dozen different ones.

we put the Pioneer 980bt in the Scion feeding the Audison LRx5.1k. no noise there either. but the Audison is very well engineered.

Well i just tryed my unit with my preouts grounded and at first it made my right speaker(front channels briged) fuzzy and noisey. So i tryed just using he rear channels unbridged thinking its my fronts since ch.2 dosnt put out proper power. Then the left speaker woulnt play lol

So i pulled the wires from the preouts and everything plays normal, but i still buzz lol heres how i grounded them. anyone know why that happened?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8725/imag0372r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/imag0372r.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

JoshC
08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
So i just tryed even connecting just one of the white RCAs to ground(thats what stopped it on my alpine) and it killed thoughs channels.(had it connected to the rear set which powers my left speaker) So i just pulled both wires, plays good but i still has noise...... Anyone got any clues???

JoshC
08-04-2012, 11:21 PM
cocksuckingbuttfuckinguglybettyasslickinwhorefaced thundercuntfromnorthkoreawherecrackissmokedfrombam bo

lol WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do i hear buzzing

keep_hope_alive
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
in your pic, you grounded left and right separate. the ground for the right is on the amp heatsink. that's a bad place to ground the RCA's. you introduce more resistance between left and right ground points. just use the same screw for both, on the chassis.

is the internal amp turned off?

JoshC
08-05-2012, 12:45 AM
in your pic, you grounded left and right separate. the ground for the right is on the amp heatsink. that's a bad place to ground the RCA's. you introduce more resistance between left and right ground points. just use the same screw for both, on the chassis.

is the internal amp turned off?

Well i tryed with just the one grounded to the chassis and the heatsink one completely off. It caused that speaker to stop playing(left, rear channels which is the set i grounded) but as for the internal amp no. I have not seen a way to turn it off in the settings