PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDE 121 - Good or Bad?

big_a
08-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Is this a good HU for around $100?? Ive been reading mixed reviews but dont have much to spend on one. I just want the best unit that plays cds & will let me connect a mp3 player

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-121/)

wErd
08-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I've got one. It's a pretty basic cd player. I love the alpine quality of the deck. But don't expect a ton of features. The iPod controls are incredible. Of course it also has aux input. For a simple setup it worked perfect for me. But one set of preouts is a bummer. I'd buy again especially for the price. If you have any specific questions, don't be shy

DoesDad
08-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I used to have one in an older car I sold. I didn't have an amp or anything so it was just driving the stock 6 X 9's and the 5.25's but I liked it a lot. I now have a more expensive Kenwood and the Alpine would've blown it away. Not a bad head unit for 120 bucks.

husker77
08-05-2012, 12:27 AM
That is what my son has in his truck, I really don't like it, but I'm used to higher end decks. I don't care for the interface or the tuning features.

JoshC
08-05-2012, 04:04 AM
get a JVC arsenal, there around 100-120

keep_hope_alive
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Kenwood eXcelon has the best <$150 head unit on the market, IMO. JVC is a close second (you can get 24bit DAC's).

KDC-X395
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX395/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X395.html)

Audio features:
System Q Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
Supreme Setting function restores high frequencies in music files
high- and low-pass filters for speaker and preamp outputs
subwoofer level controls
Expandability:
iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
compatible with Kenwood Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
warranty: 2 years

SplAffair
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Kenwood eXcelon has the best <$150 head unit on the market, IMO. JVC is a close second (you can get 24bit DAC's).

KDC-X395
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX395/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X395.html)

Audio features:
System Q Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
Supreme Setting function restores high frequencies in music files
high- and low-pass filters for speaker and preamp outputs
subwoofer level controls
Expandability:
iPod direct control via USB input — no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
compatible with Kenwood Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
warranty: 2 years

Yep I absolutely love mine

big_a
08-09-2012, 12:11 AM
The Kenwood KDC 396 is $10 more than the 395. Are there any differences between the 2