PDA

View Full Version : Better 3.5??

Teezy
08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I went through all the thread's that said something about them but everyone is talk about putting them on there HU, I was planning on putting mine to my jbl amp i have a pair of alphasonik's someone want's to buy but i wanted to know if there better 3.5's for around $50 that i can use my amp on?

s/n. i know 3.5's aren't the best out i just want to fill the dash in and i was going to build a console for subs mids and maybe do kick panel's i just want 3.5's.

Thank you..

maylar
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The best 3.5's I know of are Boston Acoustics FE3 (old model) or SE35 which are getting rare now that BA is out of car audio. I tried a bunch of different 3.5's in my Olds and the Bostons definitely held up the best. Most of them only take 15 watts or even less. If your Cutlass is like my Delta-88 the speakers mount to the grilles and you will have to modify the mounting to clear the tweeter, and maybe even have to widen the dash opening a bit to fit the magnets in there but it's worth it. You will have to hipass them at 150 or higher.

Teezy
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Alright I was think the BA would be a good buy wasn't too sure but i'm going with those and yes the speaker grille goes on top but illl work something out thank for the info bruh.

quackhead
08-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Alright I was think the BA would be a good buy wasn't too sure but i'm going with those and yes the speaker grille goes on top but illl work something out thank for the info bruh.

what are the ones you have crossed over at?...or are they blown?

keep_hope_alive
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
i used to run the Kicker R3 midrange in the dash of my Regal, off a Kicker 40SS amp. Sounds great with some R25 tweeters.

here is the FS thread on them (sold a while ago) that includes measured T/S
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1743463

Teezy
08-03-2012, 01:19 AM
what are the ones you have crossed over at?...or are they blown?

O naw the one's i had were good but the kickers i had the sun melted them and the alphasonik's someone offered me 50 dollars lol so they got sold but i got them on about 150-175

Teezy
08-03-2012, 01:21 AM
i used to run the Kicker R3 midrange in the dash of my Regal, off a Kicker 40SS amp. Sounds great with some R25 tweeters.

here is the FS thread on them (sold a while ago) that includes measured T/S
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1743463

Something like that problem kill my ears lol coming off the wind shield.

maylar
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM

The Resolution series were among the best speakers to ever come out of Stillwater. Especially the tweeters. I have a set of RS5's in one of my cars and I love them.

O naw the one's i had were good but the kickers i had the sun melted them and the alphasonik's someone offered me 50 dollars lol so they got sold but i got them on about 150-175

Be aware that being mounted up near the windshield the sun will raise the voice coil temp which reduces the amount of power they can handle. I ended up taking the 3.5's out of my Olds because they kept burning out.

Something like that problem kill my ears lol coming off the wind shield.

Which is why I don't recommend Infinity Kappas up there. Those metal dome tweets can be nasty off the windshield.

southernboom88
08-03-2012, 10:34 AM
i just put some polk 3.5's in my monte carlo. tight squeeze since i didnt remove the dash to install them. not bad for the price and im running them off my alpine headunit.

Teezy
08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
The Resolution series were among the best speakers to ever come out of Stillwater. Especially the tweeters. I have a set of RS5's in one of my cars and I love them.

Be aware that being mounted up near the windshield the sun will raise the voice coil temp which reduces the amount of power they can handle. I ended up taking the 3.5's out of my Olds because they kept burning out.

Which is why I don't recommend Infinity Kappas up there. Those metal dome tweets can be nasty off the windshield.

Found that out the hard way that's why i take them out when my car is going to be sitting in the sun for a good while.

Teezy
08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
i just put some polk 3.5's in my monte carlo. tight squeeze since i didnt remove the dash to install them. not bad for the price and im running them off my alpine headunit.

I was going to run with the polk but heard BA where better.

southernboom88
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
looking at the specs, they are very close. polks have a wider fq range (barley) probably comes down to user prefrence.. if you go with the BA's let me know how you like em.

Teezy
08-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Alright ill upload a video of the Alphasonik's and The BA's as soon as i get them.

Teezy
08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
The BA's are way better then the Alphasoniks just need a bass blocker and your good to go