PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass resin and liquid nails

Create xero
07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I am building ported box and I'm trying to resin the inside so that it is smooth and I used liquid nails to glue the pieces together and then laid down a thin coat of resin and its not drying in the corners covered in liquid nail so then i double coated and its still not drying (24 hours) but the rest is very dry only the corners is that a common problem or am I missing something. Also any other suggestions would be duly noted. Inb4 hardener Inb4 something is grammatically wrong Inb4 OP can't Inb4.

VWGolfMKVI
07-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Never heard of this. Usually if you used the right amount of hardener in the resin it will harden no matter what you put it over.

Create xero
07-27-2012, 01:16 PM
We measured it as accurately as possible so idk man its no wet really its like tacky wet and its hard as a ******* rock everywhere else so I'm confused as hell.

Julian
07-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Resinmakes liquid nails dissolve so that is probably your problem

VWGolfMKVI
07-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Resinmakes liquid nails dissolve so that is probably your problem

If this is the problem. Use a putty knife and scrape off all that excess. Get a heating gun once you have it scraped off and make sure its nice and dry before applying the resin again.

mazdakid
07-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Your box is probably going to blow apart if you used liquid nails instead of wood glue.
I used to do the same thing when i started building boxes 14 years ago and they always came apart.

VWGolfMKVI
07-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Not if he is using resin on the seams.