PDA

View Full Version : This mother ******

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
pro-rabbit ;
I spent hours designing my next box. What I had... 35.5 Wide, 36 Deep, 11 High. Port was 1.85 deep, 34 wide. Net was 1.72 per sub shared champer. It came out to 18sq per cube of port area, 32hz tune.

Since I cant build my own **** i had the cheapest guy in town do it. He is a DD, DC dealer so he does build good enough. This mother ****** says some of the dumbest **** but all he had to do was follow my drawing.

He decides from his wisdom that I need more port so he makes it 2 inches deep with out redoing anything else. when I punched in the numbers it came out to 1.8 net per sub with 21 sq inches of port per cube. 34hz tune

I also asked for only a cross brace, 3 inches tall for both front and back, left to right... He desides to run a full front and back sheet but not run it down the hole box. It stops where the port starts.

Basically when we metered it I didnt think my set up could be that quiet. It only did a 43 at 48hz peak.

My question, did it mess up that much with the idiot changing the port are without doing anything else or is this just not going to work. The port has about 3 inches of clearance from the hatch lid.26534714

Joseph7195
07-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow!!! I hate this happened to you. I don't think it's salvageable though. I am no expert expert though. An A-ss whooping seems in order for the retarded builder

disturbed471985
07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Port looks alil small but could just be the pic provided. Id be pissed either way as he did not build to the specs you requested.

pro-rabbit
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
If he altered the port area with out adjusting anything else it is the builders fault and needs to be redone. While I'm not a fan of that particular design, it may work out using the hatch as a loading wall of sorts.

Sounds to me like you need to explain to him that he needs to follow directions...if you don't think he can do that, then just find a cabinet builder and have him make the cuts for you.

143 is not horrible, unless it's outlaw lol.

disturbed471985
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
If he altered the port area with out adjusting anything else it is the builders fault and needs to be redone. While I'm not a fan of that particular design, it may work out using the hatch as a loading wall of sorts.

Sounds to me like you need to explain to him that he needs to follow directions...if you don't think he can do that, then just find a cabinet builder and have him make the cuts for you.

Or buy one of Dustins DIY kits bet he does as u request.. May suggest other options but I dnt think he would just flat out change a design cause he thinks its better no matter if it is or is not.....

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

I found a good one but this was paid for about a month ago. JayDubb757 ;
Would having that much port area effect it that bad?

pro-rabbit
I don't change designs unless it is talked about prior and the client gives the ok.

xSPLoder
Ill be honest with you, my box in my truck was built for a tiburon at about 3 1/2ft W. The port for it went about 3 inches in H and was the whole width of the box. When I first ran on the meter, I was doing 43's. Then we found the peak freq that my truck likes which is 49Hz. We made a 90 degree angle elbow piece to shorten up to port that was about 5inches long and stuck that in. My numbers score jumped up 3db just by shortening the port up. Don't know if this helps you but it did for me. try shortening the port a little and meter it, might help might not but it wont take much to do it.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Or buy one of Dustins DIY kits bet he does as u request.. May suggest other options but I dnt think he would just flat out change a design cause he thinks its better no matter if it is or is not.....

This guy is running a DD M4a on **** near stock electrical on 2 3518s and only pulls a 48. He thinks its the ****

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Ill be honest with you, my box in my truck was built for a tiburon at about 3 1/2ft W. The port for it went about 3 inches in H and was the whole width of the box. When I first ran on the meter, I was doing 43's. Then we found the peak freq that my truck likes which is 49Hz. We made a 90 degree angle elbow piece to shorten up to port that was about 5inches long and stuck that in. My numbers score jumped up 3db just by shortening the port up. Don't know if this helps you but it did for me. try shortening the port a little and meter it, might help might not but it wont take much to do it.

I'm looking for more then 3dbs out of this *****

mazdakid
Your port height to width ratio is a little much imo. Try to make it more square.

pro-rabbit

port area helps and hurts depending on the rest of the setup. You can use large amounts of port area in low power applications for daily, or for high power for spl but it depends more on the subs then anything.

increaseing port area and nothing else means tuning was altered as was the net volume. All of which will have it's own effect on the overall outcome of the enclosure.

disturbed471985
I don't change designs unless it is talked about prior and the client gives the ok.

As any legit builder should do.... Have yet to see a complaint against rabbit on his boxes or well anything he has sold or built..... Next box will be a DIY from Dustin cause atleast I know I will get exactly what I paid and asked for... Our personalitys may clash on many things but he knows his boxes and thats all that matters when buying a box.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
It got finished late last nigh and soon as I turned it on i knew something was wrong. Then after I ran the meter I wanted to hit that guy in the face. I wanted to cool off before I seen him again

xSPLoder
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
26534715here is a pic of it to give you a better idea. you can see where the adjustment was made

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
26534715here is a pic of it to give you a better idea. you can see where the adjustment was made

I can pull 47s now with both subs and port rear. I'm looking for a bit more.

xSPLoder
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm looking for more then 3dbs out of this *****

i understand that but i'm just giving you an idea of what it did for me. might do you better, might not. it only took 2 minutes worth of work and maybe $1 worth of mdf and screws

mazdakid
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Subs up port back would have probably been the way to go, or port side so you can slide the box all the way back.

matt_bennett05
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

...box rise. :fyi:

xSPLoder
07-26-2012, 10:53 AM
i understand that but i'm just giving you an idea of what it did for me. might do you better, might not. it only took 2 minutes worth of work and maybe $1 worth of mdf and screws

mind you too, im throwing 47's out of that same box now off of a 150.1 and 12inch xfl's sealed at the windshield

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
pro-rabbit ;
If he would of stuck with my design do you think it would of worked?

RangerDangerV2
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
whats with all of these dbags these days... sorry bro, that really *****. I would get a refund and either go somewhere else or build it yourself.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
whats with all of these dbags these days... sorry bro, that really *****. I would get a refund and either go somewhere else or build it yourself.

Im tempted to call Rusty and tell him one of his dealers is a tool and dont push DC anyway.

RangerDangerV2
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Im tempted to call Rusty and tell him one of his dealers is a tool and dont push DC anyway.

I would do it. that is not cool at all.

pro-rabbit
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
pro-rabbit ;
If he would of stuck with my design do you think it would of worked?

Honestly I think I would have done sub up port back in your case.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Honestly I think I would have done sub up port back in your case.

Ill see if that will work. BUT do you think if he did I would of lost 4 dbs? Im going to have you do a design after pay day anyway

pro-rabbit
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
There are many different things that go on with each design. I'm not a fan of the overly long and skinny ports they never perform as you expect do to the restricted air flow. You are better off trying to get a more square port if you can.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
There are many different things that go on with each design. I'm not a fan of the overly long and skinny ports they never perform as you expect do to the restricted air flow. You are better off trying to get a more square port if you can.

I just talked to the guy. he offered to fix it. Do you think its worth the trouble? I dont see how he can get it apart without tearing it up

kushy_dreams
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
I didn't read through any of the other responses, but is your port seriously ~3inches wide and the width of the box (~3ft)? Thats your prob, it violates the 9:1 ratio and tuning and phasing is changing. I would not have paid for that box, esp if they changed the design without your approval.

xSPLoder
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I just talked to the guy. he offered to fix it. Do you think its worth the trouble? I dont see how he can get it apart without tearing it up

Hell yeah it is. If he tears it up he can build you a new one from scratch the right way

kushy_dreams
07-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I just read through everyones responses, mazdakid and I have the right ideas about the port. Theres not enough clearance at the hatch and the shape of the port being a thin mail slot is whats doing it, I would bet $ on it. I would have done port to the rear with an 8in round port.

With 3.5 cu/ft and a tune of 34hz you would need a length of about 27.62 with an 8inch port. You could put a V right behind it to direct the airflow and that way you could choke down the clearance at the mouth and not suffer. I used a 6in port and left 4 1/4inches of clearance for my box. I think you should do a variation of what I did here:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/109/1749/25270874069_medium.jpg

my box is 36w 14h 22d

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't read through any of the other responses, but is your port seriously ~3inches wide and the width of the box (~3ft)? Thats your prob, it violates the 9:1 ratio and tuning and phasing is changing. I would not have paid for that box, esp if they changed the design without your approval.

2 inches wide

RangerDangerV2
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
port does seem a little thin and long... best to make it as close to a 1:1 ratio...

kushy_dreams
07-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Ok so you have a 2inch wide port thats ~34inches long? And you personally designed it?

This may damage your ego a bit, but maybe you should leave the designing to the pro's. Not trying to be a ****, but thats how I see it. Not everyone is a designer or builder. I'm by no means a pro but I have received a lot of guidance from a local shop that has a few Meca world titles and I feel that puts me a step above most others.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Ok so you have a 2inch wide port thats ~34inches long? And you personally designed it?

This may damage your ego a bit, but maybe you should leave the designing to the pro's. Not trying to be a ****, but thats how I see it. Not everyone is a designer or builder. I'm by no means a pro but I have received a lot of guidance from a local shop that has a few Meca world titles and I feel that puts me a step above most others.

That's what he did. What I wanted was 1.8 deep. When he did that it took away way more internal then he thought it would. Added 3 sq inches of port per cub. It changed everything. I've seen this done in SUVs and it worked. It loads right off the hatch which is sealed up.

kushy_dreams
07-26-2012, 04:36 PM
So you wanted an even smaller port and he bumped it up by .2? That change won't cause the losses you are experiencing. Your problem is coming from the fact that your port ratio is somewhere around 17:1. The pressure is getting trapped in the sides and is causing turbulence and isn't able to escape. When you use a slot port, you want the ratio as close to 1:1 because, next to a round port, that is the most efficient design you can get. Ports are about flowing, or fluid dynamics. Even though air is a gas and not liquid, it is still included in fluid dynamics. Think about drains and pipes...how many square or rectangular drains and pipes have you ever seen? The reason you only see round pipes is because they flow the most efficient. The further you deviate from a round design when trying to flow something through it, the more inefficient it will be.

and don't anyone give that tl;dr bs for what I just wrote.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 04:40 PM
So you wanted an even smaller port and he bumped it up by .2? That change won't cause the losses you are experiencing. Your problem is coming from the fact that your port ratio is somewhere around 17:1. The pressure is getting trapped in the sides and is causing turbulence and isn't able to escape. When you use a slot port, you want the ratio as close to 1:1 because, next to a round port, that is the most efficient design you can get. Ports are about flowing, or fluid dynamics. Even though air is a gas and not liquid, it is still included in fluid dynamics. Think about drains and pipes...how many square or rectangular drains and pipes have you ever seen? The reason you only see round pipes is because they flow the most efficient. The further you deviate from a round design when trying to flow something through it, the more inefficient it will be.

and don't anyone give that tl;dr bs for what I just wrote.

**** it

kushy_dreams
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Just tryin to help, that setup should be much closer if not past 150. I'd be salty as **** if I was you and dropped all that $ and wasnt getting higher numbers.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Just tryin to help, that setup should be much closer if not past 150. I'd be salty as **** if I was you and dropped all that $ and wasnt getting higher numbers.

It's really musical since I put the old box back in. Everybody says a 3db difference is noticable. It's more then noticeable.

JayDubb757
07-26-2012, 06:44 PM

That's bullchit!
I would make the guy rebuild it the way it was designed. He should have talked to you prior to building about making any changes.
If he rebuilds it to your specs, and you still don't like the output, you can bring it to my job and we can modify it or salvage the mdf for your next box.

wenn_du_weinst
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I often use rear gates/ hatches as loading walls. I how ever do not just guess at it.

Trippymane
07-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I think with the port being so wide you would be better off throwing a divider in there and making it 2 smaller ports.

NoLoud4U
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
That's bullchit!
I would make the guy rebuild it the way it was designed. He should have talked to you prior to building about making any changes.
If he rebuilds it to your specs, and you still don't like the output, you can bring it to my job and we can modify it or salvage the mdf for your next box.

He just said he will build something, if it works I'll pay him.