PDA

View Full Version : Been lurking, thought I should say hello

Lyanheart
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi guys. I've been lurking the forums here on and off for a while, basically any time I needed some ideas or info on various odds and ends. I figured it was time to register in case I actually needed to ask a question instead of just hope to get lucky with a search. I played around with car audio a lot in high school and college, but things have changed so much since then (including my disposible income). My current project is my 1975 Ford Elite (Torino) that is in the middle of a resto-rodification. Since most of the noise will be coming out the big-block 521's tailpipes, I want to put together a basic "headless" system to play some tunes from my phone's MP3 player and be able to hear it. I am going to use a set of JBL GTO series 6.5" 3-ways in the doors, 6x9 2-ways in the rear deck, and feed them with a Kenwood 5-channel amp (so I can easily add a small sub later if I want) that puts out 50w rms per channel (2 ohm). I want to use a half-DIN eq in the dash to control things, but so far I have not decided what brand or model. I'm between a Pyle, Soundstream, and a Cadence unit that all have the controls I want. There's also a Clarion model that seems popular that's about the same, but I just don't like its layout as much.

I'm actually kind of an audio geek, at least as far as in-home systems; I dig the vintage 1970's stuff and really appreciate good HI-FI sound. I've got a few old Harman/Kardon systems and some awesome speaker sets in my hobby room at home... I'd have more but you run out of room pretty fast when you're dealing with this stuff! I'm also into computers, gaming, pinball/arcade, and of course old cars.

So that's some info about me and what I'm cookin up. Cheers.

shpatb
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy anything Pyle.

CrossoverOre
07-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Pyle is a pile of sh*t.

Sound deaden everything! Especially if you're an audiophile.

shpatb
07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah use SDS CDL tiles or another type of quality sound deadener, Inside the doors especially.

SplAffair
07-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Or boss, pyramid, Sony, dual,

Lyanheart
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Normally I'd never bother looking at Pyle, but I figured it was pretty tough to screw up an equalizer; same basic circuitry no matter who builds it... plus I'm guessing most of the stuff is made by the same Korean factory, anyway. The other ones I'm looking at that have what I want are the Soundstream PMQ-7XO and Cadence CEQ-773. Maybe one of those companies have a better reputation?

I am planning to do some serious sound deadening/insulation. There's a lot of steel and echoes in this thing. I want to spray the floor and trunk with LizardSkin (www.lizardskin.com) and probably fill in the doors and trunklid with dynamat.

Flex68
07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I am planning to do some serious sound deadening/insulation.

Then I suggest that you contact Rudy ; (Don) at Sound Deadener Showdown.
Can't ask for a more intelligent or better guy to deal with, nor do I think there are many better available options for deadening.
(CLD tiles, MLV, CCF, and Thinsulate acoustic insulation)

Dunno how this compares to the "LizardSkin" tho, not familiar with that product

Lyanheart
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
LizardSkin is a spray-on sound insulation, used in a lot of high-end auto restorations when you have the body of the vehicle torn down and no carpet or interior pieces in the way. It sort of reminds you of spray-on truck bedliner. I linked to the website in that last post- LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin (http://www.lizardskin.com)