PDA

View Full Version : What SPL meter should I get

mdiscala
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I am looking to get an SPL meter from Amazon and they seem to range from $20 all the way to 1000. I realize that you get what you pay for however at some point you'll be wasting your cash on features you don't need. My Pioneer DEX 99 RS already has autotune capabilities but it would be nice to fine-tune.

kushy_dreams
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
The only one that is truly accurate is a term lab.

Next closest is made by SPL Lab Usa. Its within about 1-1.5db of a term lab and is about half the price. Mine reads slightly higher than a TL.

xSPLoder
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Get a TermLab. You will get full accurate readings off the same device judges use. You can even buy it and make your money back buy renting time on it to people

bhsdriller
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
get a termlab....the only meter that's really trusted by everybody

You can come on here and say my system does 150dbs on the audiocontrol of spl-lbs
No one will care

mdiscala
07-20-2012, 12:44 PM
It looks like they have two of them one for 650 and one for 850. Will the 650 be good or should I go for the 850

mdiscala
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing the only place you can buy it is on their website

pro-rabbit
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Indeed. The differences in the system is single or dual sensor. You can also upgrade the software as you wish.

That is all we use (the TermLab). While we have spoke with another company about their meter, it has not become worth the effort to change over.

mdiscala
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I appreciate everybody's input. I will start saving my money for the dual

hispls
07-20-2012, 01:24 PM
SPL Labs is a far supperior product to Termlab. It's as close to the Termlab our local org uses as my old Termlab was (within a tenth). Though the SPL Labs has .00 precision and is wireless with option to use with android app.

Next best is the Makeitlouder.com meter, which is as accurate as whatever DMM used with it... also a good savings.

OP, Keep in mind these are ONLY useful <100hz. If you are looking for a full range RTA Termlab and SPL Lab both have them. OR depending what you have for a computer you can buy a good microphone and run TrueRTA software (I'd poke around non-car audio forums for more info on good RTA setups)

Fi_
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
SPL Labs is a far supperior product to Termlab. It's as close to the Termlab our local org uses as my old Termlab was (within a tenth). Though the SPL Labs has .00 precision and is wireless with option to use with android app.

Next best is the Makeitlouder.com meter, which is as accurate as whatever DMM used with it... also a good savings.

OP, Keep in mind these are ONLY useful <100hz. If you are looking for a full range RTA Termlab and SPL Lab both have them. OR depending what you have for a computer you can buy a good microphone and run TrueRTA software (I'd poke around non-car audio forums for more info on good RTA setups)

I agree with Jon I used his SPL Lab and the ease of use was amazing I could use it on the droid and get numbers even outside of my jeep and they were accurate as hell I mean within .1-.2 of the Term Lab. It was easy as hell to use and setup and I liked it a lot, I'm buying one over the over-priced TL.

kushy_dreams
07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
idk wtf you guys are doing but my spl lab is no where near .1-.2 from the tl, and I metered back to back at a meca event.

mazdakid
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Not all termlabs are exactly on with each other either.

Fi_
07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
idk wtf you guys are doing but my spl lab is no where near .1-.2 from the tl, and I metered back to back at a meca event.

So that automatically makes you right? lol I just tested not even a month ago and it was like almost identicle scores.

kushy_dreams
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
So that automatically makes you right? lol I just tested not even a month ago and it was like almost identicle scores.

When did I say I was right **** weasel, so are you saying your tests say you're right....gtfo out of here and take your ****** spelling with you. Its identical btw.

AudioAnonymous
07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Termlab, no other.

mdiscala
07-21-2012, 10:38 AM
What do you guys think of the broadband RTA add-on for the Termlab

pro-rabbit
07-21-2012, 10:43 AM

I have several issues with SPL Labs myself, but the lack ability to play with there new product i won't comment on them. However, I do not see the main orgs changing their meters anytime soon. TL will remain the main meter to be used unless WH decides he is just done..which I don't see any time soon.

hispls
07-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I have several issues with SPL Labs myself, but the lack ability to play with there new product i won't comment on them. However, I do not see the main orgs changing their meters anytime soon. TL will remain the main meter to be used unless WH decides he is just done..which I don't see any time soon.

So have you or have you used the wireless meter? Not being a ****, just really curious what's not to like about it.

mdiscala
07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
What do you guys think of the broadband RTA add-on for the Termlab

Just wanted some opinions on this