PDA

View Full Version : Budget SQ HU for iPhone

Hulk311
07-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Just like the title states, gentlemen, I'm looking to replace my old Alpine deck (it's like 7 years old!) with one that I can hook up my iPhone too and stream Pandora and Howard Stern. I'm looking at the Alpine CDE-122 and Kenwood Excellon X494 but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks!

shnitz
07-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Sound quality will overall be the same across pretty much every unit from Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, and JVC. Just buy based on the convenience and tuning features you need, i.e. parametric vs graphic equalizer, time alignment, high/lowpass filters if you need them, adjustable slopes if you use the HPF and LPF, etc.

JoshC
07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Sound quality will overall be the same across pretty much every unit from Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, and JVC. Just buy based on the convenience and tuning features you need, i.e. parametric vs graphic equalizer, time alignment, high/lowpass filters if you need them, adjustable slopes if you use the HPF and LPF, etc.

i dont agree at all, i feel every brand has there own vibe to them. Ive heard good things about that kenwood deck but i recently got the pioneer deh-9400 and it sounds better then my old alpine did. higher bit DAC and better digital decompression

mylows10
07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
budget and sq dont go together sorry to tell ya ,unless used

wenn_du_weinst
07-20-2012, 09:58 PM
your using pandora and iphone. you will have no sq, get what ever you like most, I suggest a newer alpine

Bettr n' Revrse
07-20-2012, 10:06 PM
budget and sq dont go together sorry to tell ya ,unless used

your using pandora and iphone. you will have no sq, get what ever you like most, I suggest a newer alpine

Yep...

mylows10
07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Yep...
well maybe not an alpine 2 volt pre outs now on almost all of their decks now

Bettr n' Revrse
07-20-2012, 10:10 PM
well maybe not an alpine 2 volt pre outs now on almost all of their decks now

Arent you selling some of the new Pio's? That would fit his needs...

wenn_du_weinst
07-20-2012, 10:11 PM
meh 2 volt just means setting gain higher.

shnitz
07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
i dont agree at all, i feel every brand has there own vibe to them. Ive heard good things about that kenwood deck but i recently got the pioneer deh-9400 and it sounds better then my old alpine did. higher bit DAC and better digital decompression

I doubt you, or anyone else on earth for that matter, can hear a difference between a 16 bit and a 24 bit DAC. My last post got deleted for being a new user that posts links, so please type: "head-fi 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!" into google and read up on that nice little thread. Also, you cannot hear the difference between a Burr Brown DAC and some non-name-advertised DAC. Sorry. What you're maybe hearing that you're liking better is that headunits are not completely transparent. Pioneer, even with a flat EQ, supposedly likes to introduce a bass-heavy sound coming out of the unit. You like this bassy sound (who doesn't, that's why Bose and Dr Dre headphones sell so well among the laymen!) so you conclude that the unit sounds "better." Alpine, even with a flat EQ, likes a more highs-filled EQ, so that people hear it and think that it sounds "crisp and airy." You can equalize this out yourself as well, if you feel like. your Pioneer 9400BH overall though sounds exactly the same as my 8400BH, which both sound exactly the same as the lowest-end 2400, which all three sound just like my 4-year old Pioneer DEH-P500UB. Plus, hearing is so subjective that you spent money on your headunit, so you expect to hear a difference. It happens all the time in car and home audio; if you sell someone an expensive piece of equipment, then it will sound better to them. Third, since you have something that's new, and since it's new, you're probably jamming more with it. This matters because to human perception, music that is played louder sounds better. Google "louder music sounds better" and the "Fletcher–Munson curves." As you turn up the music, your brain perceives a more "W" shaped EQ curve, which most people perceive as a better, more fun sound.

Overall, you may get a sound that you like better, but the sound quality itself is no different between the cheapest and the most expensive headunits today. Plus, most headunits have enough equalization options today that you can make any headunit sound however you want.

wenn_du_weinst
07-20-2012, 10:15 PM
here we go again with the "I can't afford high end equipment so claim low end is just as good" bullshit.

Bettr n' Revrse
07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
here we go again with the "I can't afford high end equipment so claim low end is just as good" bullshit.

A Watt is a Watt bro! :blush:

mylows10
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Arent you selling some of the new Pio's? That would fit his needs...
yes i have 3 in stock

Bettr n' Revrse
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
yes i have 3 in stock

There you go OP

shnitz
07-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Sorry man, I've been through a lot of school, and I still have my physics textbooks on my bookshelf, and have to turn to them periodically. There are many scientific discussions online about the subject, and about psychoacoustics. There's a lot of diffuse claims being made online, and I'm just trying to set it right according to my current understanding of the laws that govern the universe. If you're privy to indisputable evidence that is contrary to my knowledge, I am all ears. It has nothing to do about money; I am heavily involved in optics and photography, and I have to battle misconceptions and misunderstandings in that field as well.

JoshC
07-21-2012, 01:20 AM
I doubt you, or anyone else on earth for that matter, can hear a difference between a 16 bit and a 24 bit DAC. My last post got deleted for being a new user that posts links, so please type: "head-fi 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!" into google and read up on that nice little thread. Also, you cannot hear the difference between a Burr Brown DAC and some non-name-advertised DAC. Sorry. What you're maybe hearing that you're liking better is that headunits are not completely transparent. Pioneer, even with a flat EQ, supposedly likes to introduce a bass-heavy sound coming out of the unit. You like this bassy sound (who doesn't, that's why Bose and Dr Dre headphones sell so well among the laymen!) so you conclude that the unit sounds "better." Alpine, even with a flat EQ, likes a more highs-filled EQ, so that people hear it and think that it sounds "crisp and airy." You can equalize this out yourself as well, if you feel like. your Pioneer 9400BH overall though sounds exactly the same as my 8400BH, which both sound exactly the same as the lowest-end 2400, which all three sound just like my 4-year old Pioneer DEH-P500UB. Plus, hearing is so subjective that you spent money on your headunit, so you expect to hear a difference. It happens all the time in car and home audio; if you sell someone an expensive piece of equipment, then it will sound better to them. Third, since you have something that's new, and since it's new, you're probably jamming more with it. This matters because to human perception, music that is played louder sounds better. Google "louder music sounds better" and the "Fletcher–Munson curves." As you turn up the music, your brain perceives a more "W" shaped EQ curve, which most people perceive as a better, more fun sound.

Overall, you may get a sound that you like better, but the sound quality itself is no different between the cheapest and the most expensive headunits today. Plus, most headunits have enough equalization options today that you can make any headunit sound however you want.

Seriously i give 0 fucks what you think, tracks have cleaner bass and warmer mids. Its my opinion so take your "schooling" and blow it out ure anus hole

Different processors handle digital music different, get over it man. There is a change in sound

shnitz
07-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Seriously i give 0 fucks what you think, tracks have cleaner bass and warmer mids. Its my opinion so take your "schooling" and blow it out ure anus hole

Different processors handle digital music different, get over it man. There is a change in sound

Equalization and volume dude, equalization and volume. Next thing you'll be trying to tell me that your Monster cables increase the resonance of your music :rolleyes:

UnderFire
07-21-2012, 02:54 AM
The cheapest deck I'd buy for use exclusively with an ipod is the Alpine CDA-117

JoshC
07-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Equalization and volume dude, equalization and volume. Next thing you'll be trying to tell me that your Monster cables increase the resonance of your music :rolleyes:

no dude, better processor means better sound. Im a biomed tech, i know how electronics work. Your wrong and i really dont care if you dont think so.

Go ahead and tell me how much you can equalize a 3band unit, hm? O wait barley any???? STFU and volume? Aw just dont turn it up???? what are you talking about

Anyways OP, you can take that advice, or adive from people who have actaully used these units lol I have an alpine cda-105(ipod unit) and the pioneer takes it for sure. More bands, more functions, and better sound. ALthough i do like alpines menu setups better. The 117 is a good unit for sure but i read several people that had both, thought the pioneer was better

wenn_du_weinst
07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
dammit, I need to go throw all my equipment out and run pyle, I'll just make sure I have an EQ then I can have perfect sq.

JoshC
07-21-2012, 02:06 PM
dammit, I need to go throw all my equipment out and run pyle, I'll just make sure I have an EQ then I can have perfect sq.

bahahaha thank you, o and watch the volume

wenn_du_weinst
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
There is of course a point of diminishing returns, but that doesn't mean everything is the same. Shnitz, you said yourself that all electronics introduce coloring, which is true, however I do not get how you can tie that in with all headunits have the same sq? If anything that statement contradicts your point. A stereo is called a "system" for a reason, you are only as good as your lowest point, that means if your install or products are sub par that is the sound you will receive, Just because you couldn't hear the difference in one car does not mean their wasn't one. The headunit is basically the starting point, if that piece isn't up to the task then everything you install down stream will be bottle necked.