PDA

View Full Version : Component crossover getting hot?

Superchevyman
07-16-2012, 12:33 AM
whats up guys so i installed a set of CDT HD61 components and matching SQA 4075 4 ch in my truck and i noticed a faint burning smell coming from the rear were my crossovers are located I first thought it was my subs so I immediately shut everything off. when I tracked it down i found that it was coming from my crossovers they were somewhat hot when i touched them so let everything cool down and flipped the switch on the crossovers to -3 on the tweets and backed the gain down hoping this would resolve the issue when i turned everything back on it was fine except about a hour later when I went to grab some dinner it did it again and this is only with about 10 minutes of music on them on my way in to town. The only thing I can think of is I did swap the mid that came with the HD61 set for a CDT M6 mid which is a little beefier the components are supposed to rms 170 watts and i am no were near that. Any help is appreciated thanks

goingdef
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
That is odd My q series quarts are rated for 125rms and I defeated the protection circuit and run a little over 200rms to them and they get warm but never hot and you def can't never smell anything from them. sounds like they may be highly over rated, where did you get them I heard some speakers on ebay are knock offs but I don't know that to be a fact.

Superchevyman
07-16-2012, 12:52 AM
That is odd My q series quarts are rated for 125rms and I defeated the protection circuit and run a little over 200rms to them and they get warm but never hot and you def can't never smell anything from them. sounds like they may be highly over rated, where did you get them I heard some speakers on ebay are knock offs but I don't know that to be a fact.

yea i know but i got them from mylows who is a dealer for them and he is local to me there was show today in town and everyone who heard it didn't mention they were clipping or anything and i haven't noticed anything so i am stumped they sound super clean but my old KS series components were louder and i never had a issue so that's why I am leaning towards the issue with swapping the Mid but i don't think that really makes much of a difference.

goingdef
07-16-2012, 01:19 AM
well is it truly burning or just that hot new electronics smell since I highly doubt mylows sold a knock off.

Superchevyman
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
yea for sure I have bought a lot of stuff from mylows and he helps me out so i know everything is legit I am just not sure if its something i am doing wrong in this situation.

mylows10
07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
if there are any issues with them ,we can send them back for new ones ,and they are not knock offs ,[just saying]