PDA

View Full Version : Putting fiberglass resin on carpeted box

justice66
07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Im trying figure out how to add strenght to my box. i was thinking about putting fiberglass resin over the carpet on the outside. would that help? what are some other ways to make it stronger?

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 05:42 PM
it will make it stronger, but only because of the carpet giving the resin something to strengthen. The texture will also help it stiffen up more as well.

Julian
07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
no.. No.. No...
Bracing is the best way to add strength to a box...

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
no.. No.. No...
Bracing is the best way to add strength to a box...

wrong.
edit: and in many cases doing bracing wrong will destroy the design of the enclosure.

Julian
07-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Please do explain how resin + carpet will add overall strength vs say window frame bracing or allthread.

Edit:
If it's for a purely daily setup it would do no harm, especially if it is factored into the design of said enclosure.

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Please do explain how resin + carpet will add overall strength vs say window frame bracing or allthread.

it will add strength in the same way adding another layer of wood will, of course it will not add as much strength as the carpet is not the best media for absorbing resin and is not nearly as thick as another layer of wood, but it WILL add strength. It will also not affect the 1/4 wave function inside of the box. Adding bracing to an already built enclosure is not easy to do, threaded rod will be easier but still needs to be included in the over all design of the enclosure. Being that you are on team SSA I'm just going to assume that you follow Pound that Sound's (thumpper) builds and that is where your love for bracing comes into play.

Julian
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
it will add strength in the same way adding another layer of wood will, of course it will not add as much strength as the carpet is not the best media for absorbing resin and is not nearly as thick as another layer of wood, but it WILL add strength. It will also not affect the 1/4 wave function inside of the box. Adding bracing to an already built enclosure is not easy to do, threaded rod will be easier but still needs to be included in the over all design of the enclosure. Being that you are on team SSA I'm just going to assume that you follow Pound that Sound's (thumpper) builds and that is where your love for bracing comes into play.
No, This bracing comes from experience, We have toyed with may boxes in my friends kia... guess what was loudest out of our magic box... Window box bracing along side an extremely resined inside that was completely smooth and some other things.

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 06:16 PM
so your saying bracing inside was louder then a double layer on outside? because if that is so it wasn't the fact it was braced making it louder.

Julian
07-14-2012, 06:19 PM
so your saying bracing inside was louder then a double layer on outside? because if that is so it wasn't the fact it was braced making it louder.
When you can only use single.. bracing doesn't take up as much space as double all over ;)

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Ah, that makes more sense then, I always have plenty of room left over as I don't go for spl.

Joseph7195
07-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Resin the inside. Braces will change your tuning. A properly built enclosure wouldn't need extra bracing on the inside. It should have been designed with the bracing of the box in mind.

wenn_du_weinst
07-14-2012, 06:22 PM
he would need to use fiberglass matting and resin on the inside, resin alone will not be enough.

Julian
07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
In most cases it'll change tuning fairly minimally, unless it's obscenely huge. All thread won't raise tuning, window frame tuning will add more but not a whole lot.

Joseph7195
07-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Even resin inside the box would change the frictional coefficient and change tuning slightly. But in all honestly guys, I believe we all have thrown an extra layer of wood on the outside to make a double walls of the enclosure. I don't ever think the results have ever been well of an improvement to prevent me from redesigning the enclosure altogether. Except once on a burp box I built and needed a couple extra db's for the Term Lab.

OP, it would be cool to see what you have to work with. Do you happen to have some pics of your setup?

mlstrass
07-15-2012, 04:11 AM
he would need to use fiberglass matting and resin on the inside, resin alone will not be enough.

Even then it would do very little to make it stronger as FG isn't strong when it's a large/flat surface. Would need to be like 1/4" thick to equal 3/4" wood.

Add some threaded rod, won't change a thing volume/tuning wise, especially for a daily set up...