PDA

View Full Version : Needs help with head unit and car audio!

jonxchoi
07-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I have an 05 honda civic lx... and i a looking to upgrade my crappy audio..
i got a pioneer 50w x 4 mosfet (22w x 4 rms) 2 apirs of preamp outputs (2.2v) it seems pretty good. but i am looking a decent sub, speakers, and an amp if i need one...
can you give me some combos that work best and fit to my car?
my budget is 300$
(16 year old h.s student) thanks :)

shpatb
07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Don't want to be an *******, but just use the search button.

quackhead
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
you would be doing good to get 2 12's and a amp for that price new.

mylows10
07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
you would be doing good to get 2 12's and no amp for that price new.

fixed

shnitz
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you already have the Pioneer installed in your car? If not, that will automatically make your factory speakers sound better; see if that makes you content enough. If not, I'd recommend upgrading your in-car speakers instead of adding a subwoofer. Since you have such a low budget, get yourself some very efficient speakers, like the 2-Ohm Infinity Reference (they rely on dinky factory wiring to increase the resistance up).

jonxchoi
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
i will install the pioneer tomorrow... i was thinking buying speakers first.. then a sub and and amp together.. should i get a D amp?
i was thinking maybe 2 10 inch ones.. thats probably all i need.
and i will build my own box.. hopefully will get this all by this summer
can anyone give me a good setup for that?
speakers:
amp:
sub:
that go well with my pioneer?

shnitz
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
You're falling into the common trap of buying just to buy. You didn't even install the Pioneer, you don't know how it will sound, so what are you already planning other purchases, especially a full system when you're on a shoestring budget? Only buy something if you have a shortcoming in your car. A Pioneer or other reputable aftermarket head unit provides so much more power than the factory system that you're often getting great sound without changing your speakers.

Honestly, you're just pipe dreaming if you think that with a $300 budget, you can get yourself ****** speakers front and rear, an amp for them, an amp for a subwoofer, and a subwoofer or two itself. INSTALL YOUR PIONEER, and see if that helps with anything. After that, if it still doesn't work, then plan on spending about $200-$250 for some good efficient speakers that will sound okay without an amp, or even better, some nice front speakers plus a small 2-channel amp for them that you install under the seat. Now, if you had $800 or more as your budget, I'd say that you can start considering other more intensive systems. The problem with adding even "just" a subwoofer means that you need the sub, a box, mounting equipment, an amplifier, an amp installation kit, and a bit of extra wiring. So, with $300, keep it in your pocket. If you really decide that you need to spend your money because you're unhappy with the sound, your best first move is a nice set of front speakers, and a small 2-channel amplifier for them.

CAT MAN
07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
no way you can get a good setup for 300. but might i recomend a tnt 12 and apsm 1500? you can get the tnt from mylows10;

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

You're falling into the common trap of buying just to buy. You didn't even install the Pioneer, you don't know how it will sound, so what are you already planning other purchases, especially a full system when you're on a shoestring budget? Only buy something if you have a shortcoming in your car. A Pioneer or other reputable aftermarket head unit provides so much more power than the factory system that you're often getting great sound without changing your speakers.

Honestly, you're just pipe dreaming if you think that with a $300 budget, you can get yourself ****** speakers front and rear, an amp for them, an amp for a subwoofer, and a subwoofer or two itself. INSTALL YOUR PIONEER, and see if that helps with anything. After that, if it still doesn't work, then plan on spending about $200-$250 for some good efficient speakers that will sound okay without an amp, or even better, some nice front speakers plus a small 2-channel amp for them that you install under the seat. Now, if you had $800 or more as your budget, I'd say that you can start considering other more intensive systems. The problem with adding even "just" a subwoofer means that you need the sub, a box, mounting equipment, an amplifier, an amp installation kit, and a bit of extra wiring. So, with $300, keep it in your pocket. If you really decide that you need to spend your money because you're unhappy with the sound, your best first move is a nice set of front speakers, and a small 2-channel amplifier for them.

best new guy post yet