PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speakers not as loud as fronts?

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
I just noticed my Rear speakers (2 6" Diamond D363i's) are not nearly as loud as the front speakers (also 6" Diamond D363i's). I have not checked these speakers for problems in a while, but pretty sure the problem is new. I tried the fade out completely towards the rear the back to the front, that's when I
could really tell. This issue is not that they don't ''seem'' as loud because I went and listened closely to both rear speakers as well. Not only are they not
as loud but the rear speakers both seem to have the equal amount of distortion. The front's are clear. What's the short list of possible problems. Could it
be the head unit over-heated and shorted out the rear speaker outputs. I noticed the head unit gets hot as a *mf* (when I've taken it out to inspect it).
Could it be a wiring issue? Could it be the HU is not able to supply enough power to the rear speakers? I turned the subs off, but I haven't tried turning
off the amplifier off to see if everything is redistributed evenly, however, with the subs off (amp on) the result is the same, rear speakers low volume,
distorted if I try to turn it up high. I find it hard to believe they are both blown. Given the description what do you guy "think" the problem is? Thanks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CCk-zWfvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Info: D363i - Diamond Audio 6" 120 Watts 2-Way Coaxial Speakers (http://www.amazon.com/D363i-Diamond-Audio-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B001UDQ2T4)

maylar
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
"Hot as a MF" is not a good thing. Check that the speaker wires are not pinched to ground somewhere. Otherwise, your HU rear channels are likely bad.

mylows10
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
sounds like the amp in the deck maybe going bad .i had the same issue with an older alpine .the rears went bad and back of the deck where the heat sink is would get really hot.the deck finally just blew

shpatb
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Sounds like you should get a 4 channel amp before you blow the headunit... even a small 50x4 real RMS would be better then the 10-15 you're getting from that thing now.

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
hey Jaguar , are the subs in a trunk? Are the rear speakers in a rear deck with the backs exposed to the trunk?

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
hey Jaguar , are the subs in a trunk? Are the rear speakers in a rear deck with the backs exposed to the trunk?
Hey what's up quackhead. It's not something im overly concerned about, I just want to pinpoint the problem (read below), If it's the load on the amplifier in the back causing damage to the head unit no sense in buying a new head unit. For all we know so far the issue could be wiring. I'm taking the system to be checked tomorrow. To answer your question. I'm talking about the rear door speakers. The subs are in the trunk, but they are connected to the back of the head unit via a 2-Channel X-Series RCA Audio Interconnect Cable.

"Hot as a MF" is not a good thing. Check that the speaker wires are not pinched to ground somewhere. Otherwise, your HU rear channels are likely bad.
Do you mean to say HU's getting really hot is unusual? The only way I was able to tell it was even hot was because I took it out, I could not tell from the face at all. I don't think it's uncommon, correct me if I'm wrong. Just like amplifiers they get hot. My amp is actually working a little harder lately because I doubled the RMS when I got new subwoofers. I have them wired parallel since they were dual voice as well, could that have had any affect on the head unit rear speakers?

Need advice.

DDtC
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Who cares.. take them out, problem solved

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I would suggest wiring the rear speaker to the HU front outputs and listen to verify if it is HU problems or rear speaker problems. If your rear speakers are exposed to the pressure from the subs, they could very well be blown. Hopefully it is just a speaker wiring short..

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you should get a 4 channel amp before you blow the headunit... even a small 50x4 real RMS would be better then the 10-15 you're getting from that thing now.
But I haven't even told you what amp or head unit I have.

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
*gotcha

mylows10
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
and the speakers are in the back doors not rear deck .the back of the deck should not get hot period

shpatb
07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Most headunits only put out 15-18 watts RMS... I'm just going off that. I thought you were running your speakers off the headunit.

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
and the speakers are in the back doors not rear deck .the back of the deck should not get hot period
Say whaatt? If you take out the Head unit after say, one hour and get a feel on the metal, it's not supposed to be hot at all? I wonder why mine get's so hot.
I have a 2 Channel 1000w peak amp running two 12" 4 ohm DVC subs 400w/800p wired parallel to 2 ohm. Those subs are running about 250Rms each on an amp like that. I know it's a bs amp, but I'm getting a new one next month. Could that be what's causing issues with the head unit? If so why wouldn't that
affect the dual RCA line connected to the subwoofers as opposed to the rear door speakers in question?

Most headunits only put out 15-18 watts RMS... I'm just going off that. I thought you were running your speakers off the headunit.
I am running the speakers from the HU, only the amplifier is powering the subwoofers.

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
the sub amp pre out has no connection to the HU speaker level outputs, so don't worry about that being an issue. Hu internal amps are very small and do get real hot IIRC, yours is only rated for like 22wrms or so. I never used the HU amp because they don't put out much and get real hot...some folks run a set of tweeters or a center channel with them.

mylows10
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
actually the hu amps are not supposed to get hot .maybe a little warm at most but certainly not hot.check all the wires first ,so that you can rule out a wire issue.but if the amp on the deck is getting really hot and the rear speakers are not playing as loud as the frt, even when you fade out the frt speakers then there is most likely a problem with the deck.i ran my daughters system [alpine deck] off the front and rear speaker wires from the deck for over 3 years and the back of the deck never got hot ever.

Kangaroux
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
The back of the headunit is a giant heatsink so naturally it will get hot but it should not be hot enough that it's burning your hand. If it's warm to the touch that's fine.

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
the sub amp pre out has no connection to the HU speaker level outputs, so don't worry about that being an issue. Hu internal amps are very small and do get real hot IIRC, yours is only rated for like 22wrms or so. I never used the HU amp because they don't put out much and get real hot...some folks run a set of tweeters or a center channel with them.
quackhead I didn't think it was unusual for the HU to get hot, especially with the Big 3 upgrade I have sending it that extra power..
We'll see what the problem is! We'll see! :). Still though. One guy adamantly explains HU do not get hot and another says it's not unusual,
what/who am I supposed to believe? :)

The back of the headunit is a giant heatsink so naturally it will get hot but it should not be hot enough that it's burning your hand. If it's warm to the touch that's fine.
But wouldn't the Big 3 upgrade put extra pressure on the head unit to perform?(0 gauge for christsakes) Once I put the Big 3 upgrade in this car
all the components in my car lit up twice as bright. The headlights were twice as bright, and the sound was noticeably improved (in every sense).

mylows10
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
well all i can say is that i've been installing longer that alot of guys on here are old .like kangaroux says a little warm to the touch but not so much that it would burn or even hurt a bit .warm is ok ,hot is not .....

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Maybe my idea of hot is not what someone else may think is hot...I was not talking about hot enough to fry an egg...warm to hot?..anyways, if it is hot enough to feel like it burns you, then I would think you have a problem, whether it is a speaker wire short, or possible HU ground issue.

shpatb
07-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah the only reason I suggested the 4 channel is if the decks getting hot you're probably playing it loud enough for the headunit to distort the sound causing it to heat up. If it's not a wiring issure than it's probably what mylows said.

mylows10
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe my idea of hot is not what someone else may think is hot...I was not talking about hot enough to fry an egg...warm to hot?..anyways, if it is hot enough to feel like it would almost burn you,or you can smell that hideous electric burning wire scent , then I would think you have a problem, whether it is a speaker wire short, or possible HU ground issue.
this we agree

West
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I would suggest wiring the rear speaker to the HU front outputs and listen to verify if it is HU problems or rear speaker problems. If your rear speakers are exposed to the pressure from the subs, they could very well be blown. Hopefully it is just a speaker wiring short..

Do this ^^
Don't worry about heat, everything is going to run hotter in the summer (your deck sits behind the firewall and you engine will run hotter as well). I have noticed that stock HU's can run very hot as well. No smoke, no smell of burning, no problems (usually) as long as you are not trying to push a system beyond what it was designed to do you should only be concerned about functionality. Some decks have fans in back, you can check that they are working if you are really concerned.

Upgrading you system with a 4 channel amp should reduce the heat regardless of what deck you are using, because you will be reducing the current that flows from the deck to your speakers. This will most likely fix the problem if there is something wrong with the speaker level outputs from the deck. If the problem is with the audio processor (not likely) you will need to replace the deck to have your rears work correctly. You need to isolate the problem by doing what quackhead said.
Send the front outputs to the rear speakers.
Possibilities:
1) No change - The speakers are toasted or you have a wiring issue between the deck and speakers.
2) Fixes the problem
- The decks rear speaker outputs are bad.
--> Try adding a 4chan amp to see if that solves it
--> Replace the deck (less work)

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe my idea of hot is not what someone else may think is hot...I was not talking about hot enough to fry an egg...warm to hot?..anyways, if it is hot enough to feel like it burns you, then I would think you have a problem, whether it is a speaker wire short, or possible HU ground issue.
It get's as hot as the amp, as quick as the amp. And by hot yes I mean too hot to leave your hand on it long, after about 30 minutes. That's a guesstimate, I never actually timed it. If you ask me what's going on with respect to the original post, I think the Big 3 is partially responsible for added pressure on the HU to perform. Either that, or it's a wiring issue. The wires on the doors are low grade, I just haven't had time to upgrade them yet, could be sooner than I felt like it though (as in tomorrow). I don't mind buying a new head unit. People here would say the one I have (Sony CDX-GT700HD) *****, but I don't think the head unit was originally the problem. Just as your cars original wiring was not to handle the strain of upgrades in car-stereo component's, I think, ONCE you put the BIG 3 UPGRADE in (with 0 G wire for Christsakes), I don't think the upgraded components, particularly Head Unit's were meant to handle the type of power of such a huge wiring upgrade. That's my theory as to why it's getting as hot as it is. It seems like the only logical choice, besides the amp, but head units are designed to carry the draw from amplifiers. How far are we from topic on this one.

quackhead
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
this we agree
and I was not trying to disagree, I actually missed the post where you said they do not get hot and would have worded mine slightly different. I truthfully suspect what has been said here. The HU gets run pretty hard trying to keep up with a couple of subs and with both rear speaker acting up at the same time, you may have hit it on the head with the rear channels going out...but this is one of those that is difficult to diagnose without actually being there to hear the distortion and play with the system.

TheUnderFighter
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
My HU got hot as hell in the summer. And that was only running rear speakers too.
They head unit doesn't get any MORE power with 0 gauge wiring. It makes it easier for the power to flow. The components do not have to strain as hard to get that power. It's not making anything work harder or use more power, it's just lessening the strain. You're way off there man.
And as West suggested, try running the rear speakers off the front channels of the HU and see if you have the same distortion issue.
2nd, I'd just get a small amp for the speakers anyway. They will see more potential with better and cleaning power.

West
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
My HU got hot as hell in the summer. And that was only running rear speakers too.
They head unit doesn't get any MORE power with 0 gauge wiring. It makes it easier for the power to flow. The components do not have to strain as hard to get that power. It's not making anything work harder or use more power, it's just lessening the strain. You're way off there man.
And as West suggested, try running the rear speakers off the front channels of the HU and see if you have the same distortion issue.
2nd, I'd just get a small amp for the speakers anyway. They will see more potential with better and cleaning power.

^^ This.

Unless he did something gangster and rerouted power from the batter to the HU without using a fuse. I pray that this did not happen...

Amps are good and take the opportunity to upgrade the deck as well.

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Do this ^^
Don't worry about heat, everything is going to run hotter in the summer (your deck sits behind the firewall and you engine will run hotter as well). I have noticed that stock HU's can run very hot as well.
Well, my head unit is out, not detached, out. I touched it, it was hot as hell but not because anything was on, because of how hot is outside.
I will have to check it and report back at night as to how hot it get's when it's cool out... Going to try and deduce the problems going on here.

You need to isolate the problem by doing what quackhead said. Send the front outputs to the rear speakers.
I would, but my fronts and rears are not connected by RCA's there is nothing coming or going out of the in or output jacks, just a huge garbled
concoction of collective wire held by a clip.
http://i.imgbox.com/aawu25wM.jpg

West
07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I would, but my fronts and rears are not connected by RCA's there is nothing coming or going out of the in or output jacks, just a huge garbled concoction
of collective wire held by a clip.
http://oz-audio.com.au/511-1164-thickbox/sony-cdx-gt700hd.jpg[/QUOTE]

Ok.
Contrary to what you signature says. Read the manual and find out which of the wires from the HU are powering the speakers.
Switch the fronts and rears. (Front left plus into rear left plus, front left minus into rear left minus should be 8 wires total to switch)

Not trying to be mean there, sorry if it came out that way. There are good reasons to read manuals lol. Also do a google search on the wire harness you are using to figure out the colors. You can always buy a new wireharness from Advance auto or autozone in you cannot find the color charts.

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
you may have hit it on the head with the rear channels going out...but this is one of those that is difficult to diagnose without actually being there to hear the distortion and play with the system.
The rear speakers in question (the door speakers in the rear), can turn up loud, but with twice the volume as the front's. The fronts are clear, the
rear speakers sound muffled more than anything. I'll be taking it in tomorrow. If the line out to the rear speakers are damaged on the head unit,
what might you say the cause could have been?

West
07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
The rear speakers in question (the door speakers in the rear), can turn up loud, but with twice the volume as the front's. The fronts are clear, the rear speakers sound muffled more than anything. I'll be taking it in tomorrow. If the line out to the rear speakers are damaged on the head unit, what might you say the cause could have been?

The cause is most likely crrappy Asian manufacturing.

quackhead
07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok.
Contrary to what you signature says. Read the manual and find out which of the wires from the HU are powering the speakers.
Switch the fronts and rears. (Front left plus into rear left plus, front left minus into rear left minus should be 8 wires total to switch)

Not trying to be mean there, sorry if it came out that way. There are good reasons to read manuals lol. Also do a google search on the wire harness you are using to figure out the colors. You can always buy a new wireharness from Advance auto or autozone in you cannot find the color charts.

am I the only one who has an owners manual or two somewhere in the stack of bathroom reading material?

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Read the manual and find out which of the wires from the HU are powering the speakers. Switch the fronts and rears. (Front left plus into rear left plus, front left minus into rear left minus should be 8 wires total to switch).
I edited the image to show where the only main set of wires on the back of the head unit are connected. Besides the subwoofer out, up there
on top of the HU (in that photo) there are no "Front left plus into rear left plus, front left minus into rear left minus" connected at all.
http://i.imgbox.com/aawu25wM.jpg

West
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I edited the image to show where the only main set of wires on the back of the head unit are connected. Besides the subwoofer out, up there on top of the HU (in that photo) there are no "Front left plus into rear left plus, front left minus into rear left minus" connected at all.

There are two wire harnesses that connect the outputs from that circled area to your car. One connects into the deck and is connected to an aftermarket wire harness which has a connection that is compatible to your vehicle.

Step 1
Go into your car and carefully disconnect the two wireharnesses from the cars stock wiring. It should be a white or black connection. Don't cut any wires at this point, simply disconnect the harness from the cars wiring and you may have to press down on the connector to be able to remove it. Bring it to a place where you can see the color of all the wires easily.

Step 2
Read the manual and determine which wires go where and switch the fronts and rears (speaker outputs) between the two wire harnesses by cutting them. Strip some of the wire on each end and connect them with wire connectors (avaliable at autozone, advanced auto) or at a bare minimum electrical tape. Leave all the other wires intact.

Step 3
Reconnect the deck and wireharnesses to the car and observe. Do all of this with the battery disconnected until you are testing the deck.

If you are not comfortable doing this take it to a car place and replace the deck. I doubt you will be able to find a car audio place that will charge you a reasonable amount of money to trouble shoot this.

Jaguar
07-09-2012, 07:04 PM
West thanks. Like I said more than anything the rear speakers sound, muffled as if they are not getting enough power. Since nothing has changed with the wiring, this sounds like an issue with the head unit. It could be the wiring or it could be from having the wires cramped together in the harness with the head unit that are the cause for the ''loss of power'' to the rears. I'm going to get it taken care of tomorrow. The people at one of the shops I go to know me, they won't charge anything to diagnose the problem. To fix the problem, sure. If Im lucky I will be able to get away without buying a new head unit.

West
07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
West thanks. Like I said more, than anything the rear speakers sound muffled as if they are not getting enough power. Since nothing has changed with the wiring, this sounds like an issue with the head unit. It could be the wiring or it could be from having the wires cramped together in the harness with the head unit that are the cause for the ''loss of power'' to the rears. I'm going to get it taken care of tomorrow. The people at one of the shops I go to know me, they won't charge anything to diagnose the problem. To fix the problem, sure.

Best of luck man. Post back on what they said.
:)

maylar
07-10-2012, 07:13 AM
One guy adamantly explains HU do not get hot and another says it's not unusual,
what/who am I supposed to believe? :)

"Hot as a mf", as you explained, is NOT usual. Yes they get warm, but not so hot you can't touch them.

I suggest that you disconnect the rear speakers at the HU and see if the HU runs cooler. If you have a short in the rear speaker wires somewhere it would explain why they sound crappy. I also suggest swapping the front and rear speakers at the HU... if the fronts get crappy then the HU has issues.

But wouldn't the Big 3 upgrade put extra pressure on the head unit to perform?(0 gauge for christsakes)

No.

Jaguar
07-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Well.

I did not end up taking the system to my dealer yesterday to diagnose any problems. The reason is, after I (1) removed the 16 pin clip from the back of the head unit, (2) cleaned the connectors (3) checked the fuse (4) put the wires back carefully in the harness so as not to have the HU mash them= the problem seems to have disappeared. I think the way the person who put my HU in my previous install was not, careful enough to make sure the wires were secured from resting against the HU. I noticed the connect one of the sub outs rca's appeared marred. It had to have come from heat dissipated from the back of the HU. New upgraded wiring should keep this problem from occurring again. Actually I plan on doing the entire car soon. Thanks for the suggestions brother(s).