PDA

View Full Version : getting away with using 1/2" mdf?

RSDXzec
07-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Basically I was on my way to getting 3/4" mdf and the guys at the shop I bought it from were idiots so they said they weren't able to cut 3/4" mdf and the thickest they could cut was 1/2" even though I've had 3/4" cut there before. So I ended up with all my wood cut up for my box as 1/2" mdf due to not having power tools at home I was forced to use 1/2" mdf. I'm not happy about it, but there isn't much I could do. Anyway, could I get away with using this mdf on my box?
Each 12" sub will only be pushing 350wrms tops and here is an image of my design.
http://i49.tinypic.com/15hvh0.png

I'll be building it either way since I've got all the wood here right next to me cut up and ready to assemble, just wanted to know if you guys thought I'd run into any issues.

subzero
07-05-2012, 07:08 AM
you keep asking too much. If you make that box out of 1/2 inch, you better line it with resin and fiberglass.

TaylorFade
07-05-2012, 07:10 AM
With 350 each and having those dividers in there, I think you'll be ok.

Be warned though, 1/2" is a PITA to put together. You wouldn't think an extra 1/4" would be that big of a deal for assembly... but it is. Well.. if you plan on using screws, that is. Clamps or brad nails might make it a lot easier.

RSDXzec
07-05-2012, 07:25 AM
you keep asking too much. If you make that box out of 1/2 inch, you better line it with resin and fiberglass.

And that's a bad thing? lol. I always thought it was better to know what I should be doing before hand and then doing it.

With 350 each and having those dividers in there, I think you'll be ok.

Be warned though, 1/2" is a PITA to put together. You wouldn't think an extra 1/4" would be that big of a deal for assembly... but it is. Well.. if you plan on using screws, that is. Clamps or brad nails might make it a lot easier.

Sweet, yeah I ended up buying thinner screws for this box than I did for me previous one, hopefully that helps out a bit. I'll see how much of a pain it is once I get around to building it.

I really wasn't planning on 1/2" mdf so I had to redo my whole design to accommodate for the thinner wood.

DoesDad
07-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Meh. I wouldn't went through the trouble till I could've done it right. But with 1000 watts you should be alright.