PDA

View Full Version : Smallest possible ported box for two AQ HD315s aluminum coils

95Prober
06-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi guys
just wondering what would be a close estimate of the smallest possible ported box that I could get away with? I know I should use just one but I picked up a second for cheap so Id like to use both. More of a wow factor and hopefully bit more low end

Thanks!!

Moble Enclosurs
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on in a bit. Really busy. But that would be tough to even estimate without getting into what kind of space requirements you have and what they will like for the smallest volume by calculation. Best best is to use the sealed volume chamber recommendation and port that with an adequate port area&length to obtain your desired tuning without getting too involved into the design, unless you want one done, then any of the designers on here would be very happy to help you with one (hint hint) lol.

Just make sure they fit is all. Also, a recommendation of using round ports may be of interest to lower the weight, and reduce the total external volume also. :D Hope that helps

95Prober
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply!! Yeah Im looking at 34x32x15 exterior dimension max. Gives about 7.74cu.ft
Minus .76 displacement for two 6" aerports and .40 displacement for two hdc3 15's

I think aerports will require less space than a slot port

pro-rabbit
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
That "could work" but it won't be the best possible enclosure for them. You also have to take out for bracing and/or double baffling.

Do you already have the subs?

Moble Enclosurs
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply!! Yeah Im looking at 34x32x15 exterior dimension max. Gives about 7.74cu.ft
Minus .76 displacement for two 6" aerports and .40 displacement for two hdc3 15's

I think aerports will require less space than a slot port

Sure thing man :D. Keep in mind that optimum and personal preference are two different things, so the best bet for dimensions would be to have it designed within a given parameter first, to see how small you can actually go without losing too much output or efficiency and/or causing possible noise issues in the process. You can tune a box to say, 30Hz, or 25Hz, all day long but this does not account for the needed minimum volume of the port characteristics either, so make sure that within those dimensions you can fit the insides of the actual enclosure in there without increasing those noise factors while maintaining a requested tuning, response, and control of the sub(s).

Best thing would be to take a max possible dimensional space and work within it to figure for what would optimally work for you. Also remember, that optimism is not just based on a free field measurement, that it can revolve around dimensional limitations, so don't get those confused with each other if you find that they require more than you have to offer for volume. You can "optimize" any enclosure within a given volume. Its just a matter of it being functional or not within certain limitations.

mlstrass
07-08-2012, 06:04 AM
waste of HDC's IMO....

Bettr n' Revrse
07-08-2012, 06:08 AM
That will be pretty tIght...

mlstrass
07-08-2012, 06:24 AM
single 18 would do fine in that box, recone the sub you have...

TaylorFade
07-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Iso load them bishes. You could get both in like 2 cubes. Lol.