PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 80 prs issues

Dr. Slam
06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
This is my second 80prs and I having similar issues with both. I've tried everything from resetting it, rewiring it, separate grounds multiple times. I couldn't change the volume or get to the menu on the first and I can't get to the menu on this one either. It switches songs randomly and the rear channels having issues with distortion and cut in and out, on top of putting my sub amps into protect. I've swapped out 3 different pioneer head units ( same wiring harness and everything else ) but I'm only getting these issues with this one.

It acts normal randomly

What are my other options as far as troubleshooting it.

whitedragon551
06-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Clean the contacts on the faceplate and the HU itself with alcohol swabs.

Dr. Slam
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Will do

Dirtrider4eva
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
trade it to me for one of my DDins.
but really, check the contacts, maybe pico fuse for distortion?

itstrend
06-29-2012, 09:24 AM
This is my second 80prs and I having similar issues with both. I've tried everything from resetting it, rewiring it, separate grounds multiple times. I couldn't change the volume or get to the menu on the first and I can't get to the menu on this one either. It switches songs randomly and the rear channels having issues with distortion and cut in and out, on top of putting my sub amps into protect. I've swapped out 3 different pioneer head units ( same wiring harness and everything else ) but I'm only getting these issues with this one.

It acts normal randomly

What are my other options as far as troubleshooting it.

I had the same problem and actually returned it for a replacement. Ended up waiting 1 month because of back order.
So heres the problem, you have to take out the tuner plug you have in the back plugged in. (the one that is next to the phone mic wire)
That plug actually plugs in the front when you tune the HU. I also had the tuner wire plugged in the back. Hope this resolves your problem.

thegreatestpenn
06-29-2012, 09:29 AM
did u plug one of the mics into the wired remote on the back? i did that and my deck was TRIPPIN. unplugged both mics in the back (bluetooth and tuning mic) and it worked fine. Plugged bluetooth mic in and it still worked fine. Plugged tuning mic in the back and it didn't work. then i realized the tuning mic is supposed to be plugged IN THE FRONT in the aux in not in the back (thought it went in the back since it fit). So make sure you don't have anything plugged into the wired remote mic slot except a wired remote :)

thegreatestpenn
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I had the same problem and actually returned it for a replacement. Ended up waiting 1 month because of back order.
So heres the problem, you have to take out the tuner plug you have in the back plugged in. (the one that is next to the phone mic wire)
That plug actually plugs in the front when you tune the HU. I also had the tuner wire plugged in the back. Hope this resolves your problem.
haha beat me to it

Dr. Slam
06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
did u plug one of the mics into the wired remote on the back? i did that and my deck was TRIPPIN. unplugged both mics in the back (bluetooth and tuning mic) and it worked fine. Plugged bluetooth mic in and it still worked fine. Plugged tuning mic in the back and it didn't work. then i realized the tuning mic is supposed to be plugged IN THE FRONT in the aux in not in the back (thought it went in the back since it fit). So make sure you don't have anything plugged into the wired remote mic slot except a wired remote :)

Will do as soon as I get home because that's exactly what I did. I'll get it corrected as soon as I get home from work. Appreciate the help fellas

Joe562MMA
06-30-2012, 01:42 AM
so that wired remote what exactly is that for lol..for actual remote control or what?

daboyfrumdabx
06-30-2012, 02:01 AM
That's where you'd plug in a steering wheel control adapter.

Dr. Slam
06-30-2012, 02:02 AM
I see

*I had the same question. Why wouldn't they tell you specifically not to plug anything into that or at least have it in the troubleshooting section?

Joe562MMA
06-30-2012, 02:42 AM
That's where you'd plug in a steering wheel control adapter.

what exactly is that

Joe562MMA
06-30-2012, 02:46 AM
or whats that other circle small tweeter looking thing for

daboyfrumdabx
06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
what exactly is that

For vehicles that have stock steering wheel controls (or I believe you can also buy aftermarket ones), just plugging in a new deck with harness will not retain functionality of them. For those that want to retain them, adapters are needed.

or whats that other circle small tweeter looking thing for
That's the mic for the auto tuning. Read through the manual for a complete description of it as I haven't played with mine yet to give you a full explanation. I very much dislike the lack of a paper manual now, my CD manual has been in my computer for about a month now and I have read to bother looking at it.

Dr. Slam
06-30-2012, 10:04 PM
All is good but I'm still pissed that I had to ground to rcas. I figure if I pay $330+ for a head unit I shouldnt have to do that

daboyfrumdabx
06-30-2012, 10:08 PM
All is good but I'm still pissed that I had to ground to rcas. I figure if I pay $330+ for a head unit I shouldnt have to do that

Same happened to me within a few weeks of running the deck and I hadn't played with the install so I definitely didn't hotswap RCAs. I sent it out for warranty service. Grounding the RCAs did the trick, but I figured since I spent that much, I might as well have them fix their product. Let's see how long they keep it now. I'm running an old Eclipse unit with 2 channels worth of preouts which *****, but it'll get me by.

Joe562MMA
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
why did u have to do that?

Joe562MMA
07-01-2012, 01:55 AM
can someone elaborate on the difference between mono/stereo setting on the prs 80 hu
an will i see the difference

Dr. Slam
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
can someone elaborate on the difference between mono/stereo setting on the prs 80 hu
an will i see the difference

The same as mono and stereo on everything else. In stereo the sound can go to to each speaker individually while in mono the sound go to all of the speakers the as one

gunz4me2
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Sheesh, the Pioneer HUs still have that dreaded Pico fuse problem? I guess that settles my dilemma, I'm going with a processor and either using the factory HU or getting a DD to put in the dash. Knowing me, I'll probably buy the processor first, then get a double din within a month or two...

05trailblazer
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
i love mine regardless :)

Joe562MMA
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
The same as mono and stereo on everything else. In stereo the sound can go to to each speaker individually while in mono the sound go to all of the speakers the as one

o ok it seems louder in stereo ..

and yest at db drag i had it on mono when i got home changed it i noticed the diff

04silverz
07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I see

*I had the same question. Why wouldn't they tell you specifically not to plug anything into that or at least have it in the troubleshooting section?
It tells you in the install manual where the auto tune mic goes...

For vehicles that have stock steering wheel controls (or I believe you can also buy aftermarket ones), just plugging in a new deck with harness will not retain functionality of them. For those that want to retain them, adapters are needed.

That's the mic for the auto tuning. Read through the manual for a complete description of it as I haven't played with mine yet to give you a full explanation. I very much dislike the lack of a paper manual now, my CD manual has been in my computer for about a month now and I have read to bother looking at it.
I agree about lack of paper manual. My z120bt was same way. Pretty annoying. Like I want to drag my computer out to my truck to mess around with

Edit:can't believe some are already having issues with RCA grounding. I'd be pretty annoyed. If mine exhibits that I'll return it and grab a clarion or old stock eclipse if I can find one

Imtjnotu
07-01-2012, 10:51 PM
It tells you in the install manual where the auto tune mic goes...

I agree about lack of paper manual. My z120bt was same way. Pretty annoying. Like I want to drag my computer out to my truck to mess around with

or have a smart phone and the adobe reader........

04silverz
07-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Meh. Still rather have a paper copy. I'm sure it saves them money in the long haul but would rather them just **** it up and send one out.

Wow we can't say su ck?

maylar
07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking maybe I'll wait for "Rev B", after they iron out the bugs.

05trailblazer
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
the last update they did is more friendly user. and for those who said that they want to turn off the sub off\on it now has that feature..

maylar
07-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Think I'll wait a few months. Dunwanna be a beta tester.