PDA

View Full Version : help with tweeter noise (running active)

splwj47
06-18-2012, 01:51 AM
so i went active this weekend and ever since i did i get the hum threw my tweeters, it is very annoying and after rewiring everything today to make sure the rcas wernt close to the power wire or the ground wire i still have it. here is a vid of the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBzz6RSqOw&feature=youtu.be

here is a pic of everything all wired up. there is only the one spot where the speaker wire is close to the ground and its only for about 6 inches.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q533/zigzag4200/IMG_0215.jpg

mylows10
06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
your getting interference from somewhere.maybe the rca's for the tweets

splwj47
06-18-2012, 02:04 AM
your getting interference from somewhere.maybe the rca's for the tweets

i have no idea where tho the rcas are ran on the right side of the car and the power is ran on the left.

mylows10
06-18-2012, 02:06 AM
maybe from the wires from the car if they are under the rca ,i've had that issue before .also look for a pinched wire somewhere too ,that can cause this

splwj47
06-18-2012, 02:14 AM
well there is other wiring down the right side of the vehicle, but its just for heated seats/power seats maybe something else to, but i dont know. i know there is no pinched wires i made sure everything was good when i installed the wiring. i never had this noise running passive. but it must be something with that 3rd rca i just installed since it is just threw the tweeters, but it was installed in the same place and the other 2 rcas. so i dont know.

mylows10
06-18-2012, 02:50 AM
may not be a good rca doug

splwj47
06-18-2012, 02:53 AM
may not be a good rca doug

Lol its the brand new one i just got from you.

mylows10
06-18-2012, 03:09 AM
hmmm if you have another one switch it and see if you still have the noise

splwj47
06-18-2012, 11:43 AM
i dont have another set hmmm.

05trailblazer
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
same thing here :( so i just removed the tweeters and went passsive but still have my mids active

splwj47
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
same thing here :( so i just removed the tweeters and went passsive but still have my mids active

well wtf, at least im not alone lol. if i cant get rid of this whine im just gonna go back passive. which sux.

05trailblazer
06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
well wtf, at least im not alone lol. if i cant get rid of this whine im just gonna go back passive. which sux.

on my mids you can barely hear it but still its annoying. im going to try and swap out HU units and see if its just my head units because i already tried three rca's

splwj47
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
on my mids you can barely hear it but still its annoying. im going to try and swap out HU units and see if its just my head units because i already tried three rca's

ya seeing as how we have the same head unit it could maybe be something with it. let me know how that works out when u try swapping it out.

05trailblazer
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
ya seeing as how we have the same head unit it could maybe be something with it. let me know how that works out when u try swapping it out.

ill let you know for sure man. gl with you fixing the problem.

splwj47
06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
anyone else have any sugestions

UMWDawg92
06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
turn your gain down on the tweeter channel or if your hu has level matching built in turn your tweets down, I had this problem and turned my gains down just a little bit and level matched and it went away

splwj47
06-18-2012, 01:07 PM
turn your gain down on the tweeter channel or if your hu has level matching built in turn your tweets down, I had this problem and turned my gains down just a little bit and level matched and it went away

tried turning the gain down for the tweets and didnt do anything. it made it a bit quieter but didnt go away, went all the way down with the gain and it was still there. what does this level matching do that u speak of?

UMWDawg92
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
My alpine 9887 has level matching for running active so that if you tweeters are way more sensitive you can turn them down a few dbs to match your mids but sounds like you may be getting some weird outside interference if it still does it on minimum gain

splwj47
06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
my tweets are ran at -3db, mids and subs are at 0bd

keep_hope_alive
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
the whine is usually signal ground related, which is unaffected by wire routing.

since you have the whine on both tweeters and mids (but more noticeable on tweeters due to the frequency of the noise) it is associated with HU, RCA's, and amp.

could be the amp itself.
could be resistance between HU ground and amp ground. both should be grounded the floor.
could be a bad connection in an RCA. even new ones have failures.

splwj47
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
the whine is usually signal ground related, which is unaffected by wire routing.

since you have the whine on both tweeters and mids (but more noticeable on tweeters due to the frequency of the noise) it is associated with HU, RCA's, and amp.

could be the amp itself.
could be resistance between HU ground and amp ground. both should be grounded the floor.
could be a bad connection in an RCA. even new ones have failures.

i cant hear no whine comming from the mids just the tweets. could you give a little more insight on the grounding suggestion?

keep_hope_alive
06-18-2012, 11:29 PM
ground head unit to the floor, sand away paint, etc. make sure amp and HU are grounded to the same piece of metal - i.e. no tack welds between the two. the floor should be electrically continuous from the firewall to the tire well.

splwj47
06-19-2012, 12:06 AM
ground head unit to the floor, sand away paint, etc. make sure amp and HU are grounded to the same piece of metal - i.e. no tack welds between the two. the floor should be electrically continuous from the firewall to the tire well.

Ok well ill try running 2 new grounds and see if that solves it. Length of the grounds wont mater? So if i run a ground to drivers side firewall and run the amp ground to the floor of the back foot area would be good?

Durango03
12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Ok well ill try running 2 new grounds and see if that solves it. Length of the grounds wont mater? So if i run a ground to drivers side firewall and run the amp ground to the floor of the back foot area would be good?

You ever get this figured out?

splwj47
12-12-2012, 08:11 PM
You ever get this figured out?

had to send deck in for warranty. hot swaped rcas and fucked something up internally.

Durango03
12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
ahh, well Im trying to get an idea as to whats wrong with my tweeters (popping and engine whine in tweets only).. I wired them up to a passive Xo, along with front stage speakers using wires from factory deck (now running pioneer avh).. I read on here that pioneer has bad RCA grounds so I wrapped each rca output with stripped 12ga and grounded that out and also ran a new HU ground.. didnt work. So I snipped off the tweet wires and ran new ones... tried moving the wires to different places in the Xo to see if it would make a difference.. Finally just wire all positives together and all negatives and there is no noise, works great! However now Im concerned that there is no filter for the tweet's and they are likely to blow anytime..