PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a "sonosub" for their car audio?

greyhnd
06-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I've been doing some reading and studying on the use of "sonotube" for building sub enclosures. I had an old 12" Pioneer woofer here and decided to take a stab at the project. I haven't tried it in the Jeep yet, but I've hooked it up to my home stereo and I'm surprised at how good it sounds.

I already had the woofer and some MDF and 3/4" plywood scraps. A 4 ft length of 12" diameter sonotube cost me a bit over $6. Took about 2 hours to make the darn thing. Stands about 24" tall, is sealed up tight. They can be either sealed or ported with good results. This is a passive enclosure, so not like the Bazooka enclosures that are powered.

The real test will be when I can put some dedicated power to it in my Jeep. Just thought mentioning it might gives others here an option if the budget is tight.

snoopdan
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Tube enclosures have been around since the 1950's. So what are you exactly asking?

Kangaroux
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Tube enclosures have been around since the 1950's. So what are you exactly asking?

Read the title of the thread :fyi:

snoopdan
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Read the title of the thread :fyi:

That just re-affirms he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. :fyi:

Kangaroux
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
That just re-affirms he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. :fyi:

He said it in quotes, it's acceptable :fyi:

Jroo
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I have seen several sonotube boxes used. Some sq guys like them becaue they say the rounded tube doesnt have any standing ways like a regular box would have. Cant speak on that, but certainly have seen the sonotubes from Lowes being used.

CAT MAN
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
sixdogs one did it on utube...must of failed hard since he ripped it out a week after....

hispls
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Much of the benefit is lost in a car. Unlike in a home where a tall pillar takes up just a small footprint in a corner, in a car there's just no way to make a cylinder efficienty use space.

Though if you're into sealed encloures and the size/shape isn't a problem for you it would do the same as the same volume of MDF or plywood if done properly.

Phoenix Risen
06-14-2012, 10:23 AM
ill be playing around with tubes this season just to see what kind of numbers i can really get out of my 8's.

greyhnd
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
snoopdan - I appreciate your informative replies. Very helpful and they hit the nail on the head. Hopefully one of these days you'll have a questions and I can return the favor with such an insightful response.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments. I'm perfectly aware that tube enclosures have been used for a long time. I'm curious if they live up to their merits in a car audio environment. I thought it might also remind others that there are options available if the budget is limited and they don't have the skills to build a proper conventional box.

quackhead
06-16-2012, 03:45 AM
...a long time ago, in a galaxy far away...I had a 10" passive Bazooka loaded with a Punch 10 on a 300 watts....sounded as good as anybody elses 2 12's I ran across at the time...jus sayin'