PDA

View Full Version : Front Stage - Focal, Hertz or HAT

RunninRedline
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
So, I just parted ways with my Focal KRX2's and I loved them. I bought them without ever hearing them and simply by getting as many opinions as I could. I really loved the sound signature.

I just bought a Lexus IS F and it comes with 3 ways. My orig plan was to swap out the stock with Focal KRX3's, but I began to get curious about other speakers. I have been really intrigued by the design of the Hertz Mille line and would love to hear them but no one sells them around here. Then, there's HAT which I've heard nothing but rave reviews about. I'm assuming the KRX3's will sound just like my KRX2's. I know this is subjective but if you were picking between KRX3's, MLK 3's or Legatia 3's which would you pick?

Oh yeah side note in my last car I removed the rear speakers. However, the Lexus has 3 ways in the rear doors as well. I would just pull them and just have a front stage but the rear speakers are for the video rear entertainment or surround sound for full car entertainment so they have to have something. I was planning on using one of the lesser lines such as Polyglass or HSK and maybe use just a 2 way but possibly do 3 ways back there too.

cablguy184
06-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Blues Car Audio

Why So Cereal?
06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Of those, Legatia> KRX3 > Mille IMO

And that's based on a mixture of Internet reviews as well as demos

RangerDangerV2
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
kicker ds series.

RoYALbLUE08
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
i can vouch for HAT. i have the imagine 6.5 components and am simply blown away by the quality of the speakers and sound. i cant even imagine how much different the legatia must sound. by why leave just a front stage? id rather have a full sound right now i have only a front stage and just bought some alpine type s coaxials for the rear deck for 50 bucks lol. my brother has speakers all around and i like hte sound better than just having a set of components in the front playing.

anyway my vote is for HAT!!

Flex68
06-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Don't think you'd go wrong with any of the 3 choices, at that level, anyway.
The Polyglass and HSK....meh.

I recently had a friend---- whose opinion I respect, and who has a great deal of knowledge about car audio---- tell me he wasn't all that impressed with HAT. He noted that they were "generic build quality and so-so sound." He noted that I should "go with Dyn Audio ftmfw."

Just goes to show that beauty is in the ear of the listener..... I will be running HAT Clarus, lol

tat2bass
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I love the Hertz that I have owned and heard. It is all a subjective matter of opinion that at those price levels and quality is too dependent on install to really make a determination based on other peoples recommendations. I have heard those Hertz you are looking at and they are the best speakers I have ever heard to date. And that includes beating a set of Focal Be No6. That is a $5k set of speakers. But the Focals were in a demo booth. The Hertz were in a high quality car install. Either of those sets you get I think you will be happy with it so long as you spend the money to give them the proper install they deserve

RunninRedline
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
On Saturday I'm prob gonna head to a shop about 30 mins away and get a demo of the Hertz

West
06-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Love my focals, really bright tweeters.

robertoyoung08
06-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Don't think you'd go wrong with any of the 3 choices, at that level, anyway.
The Polyglass and HSK....meh.

I recently had a friend---- whose opinion I respect, and who has a great deal of knowledge about car audio---- tell me he wasn't all that impressed with HAT. He noted that they were "generic build quality and so-so sound." He noted that I should "go with Dyn Audio ftmfw."

Just goes to show that beauty is in the ear of the listener..... I will be running HAT Clarus, lol

mr flex, i saw you bought those hats a couple days ago. lmk if you're interested in reselling. =)

Bettr n' Revrse
06-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Id rather have the HAT's or Herts over the Focals

TaylorFade
06-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Ou of those 3, I am going to say Hertz. I was sorely dissapointed with the review that the L3 got in the fullrange shootout because they were at the top of my list.

Others to maybe take a look at...
-DynAudio
-ScanSpeak (yummy)
-Morel
-Fountek
-Peerless? I hear good things.
-H-Audio/Audible Physics

Side note... Pic of car? Sick ride, man.

Flex68
06-15-2012, 09:20 AM
mr flex, i saw you bought those hats a couple days ago. lmk if you're interested in reselling. =)

I have a few sets of comps that I have picked up to try in my install. The HATs were the ones that I figured would be staying.... ;)

robertoyoung08
06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I have a few sets of comps that I have picked up to try in my install. The HATs were the ones that I figured would be staying.... ;)

Hah makes sense. Well please lmk if you're willing to sell them or if you don't go through the install with them. Looking to buy a hat set right now.

What other sets did you buy btw

RunninRedline
06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Sure here are 2 of my favorites
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x63/RunninRedline/IS%20F/DSC00067.jpg
This was like a changing of the guard (the car I traded)
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x63/RunninRedline/IS%20F/DSC00060.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I'm starting to think I'll buy a set of each and install and audition them one at a time.

robertoyoung08
06-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Sure here are 2 of my favorites
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x63/RunninRedline/IS%20F/DSC00067.jpg
This was like a changing of the guard (the car I traded)
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x63/RunninRedline/IS%20F/DSC00060.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I'm starting to think I'll buy a set of each and install and audition them one at a time.

nice! i have a gs300
are you by any chance on the club lexus forums?

wenn_du_weinst
06-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Blues Car Audio

not even in the same league.

Why So Cereal?
06-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Youre not too far away and if you're buying a set of each, I'm coming down to Gainesville to audition them all. Lol

Nice car man, btw.

RunninRedline
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah on CL G9N

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Youre not too far away and if you're buying a set of each, I'm coming down to Gainesville to audition them all. Lol

Nice car man, btw.

Thanks haha sounds good you can help with the install.

Why So Cereal?
06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks haha sounds good you can help with the install.

Do I get to take home the set u like least? Lol

But, if I'm in the area around the time u start the install, I'd lend a hand. It'd be nice to meet someone semi local who's not running "dem 15'z cuhh dem bishes be gettin stoopid low, fam" lol

audioknut
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
And what gives you the knowledge to make that comparison? Have you heard them, probably not!

I have! My close friend, Steve Stern, the head of MECA, ranks them very highly. Highly enough, he personally owns a set that I have heard on several occasions. Other than that, I have followed the Linear Power and Blues results in USACi and MECA competitions and all their competitors finish in the top 5 (if not first), locally, regionally and nationally, beating a whole lot of the Focal, Hybrid, and Hertz systems. Seems like the only thing beating them and (not all the time) are the systems in cars with better acoustical environments not the equipment itself. All the Blues and Linear guys competing so far have trucks. Trucks are much harder to set up than a car, and considering that dis-advantage they as still kicking ***. I have also had a chance to listen to the prototypes of the new Linear amps and they are amazing! Steve is also waiting to get a new Linear Power amp for his system.

Kirk Proffitt, 11 time MECA world champion has also changed over to the new Linear Power products, that tells me alot about the product.

I have been reading about a guy in Trinadad that runs a shop and has used all the brands you mentioned, and he got a set of Blues to try and says they are the best he has heard. He is a head judge for MECA in that area, also.

I think I will make my decisions on what I personally hear and from the advice of people that have heard, used, or own them.
I really depise haters that talk their crap with no experience with a product.

wenn_du_weinst
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
And what gives you the knowledge to make that comparison? Have you heard them, probably not!

I have! My close friend, Steve Stern, the head of MECA, ranks them very highly. Highly enough, he personally owns a set that I have heard on several occasions. Other than that, I have followed the Linear Power and Blues results in USACi and MECA competitions and all their competitors finish in the top 5 (if not first), locally, regionally and nationally, beating a whole lot of the Focal, Hybrid, and Hertz systems. Seems like the only thing beating them and (not all the time) are the systems in cars with better acoustical environments not the equipment itself. All the Blues and Linear guys competing so far have trucks. Trucks are much harder to set up than a car, and considering that dis-advantage they as still kicking ***. I have also had a chance to listen to the prototypes of the new Linear amps and they are amazing! Steve is also waiting to get a new Linear Power amp for his system.

Kirk Proffitt, 11 time MECA world champion has also changed over to the new Linear Power products, that tells me alot about the product.

I have been reading about a guy in Trinadad that runs a shop and has used all the brands you mentioned, and he got a set of Blues to try and says they are the best he has heard. He is a head judge for MECA in that area, also.

I think I will make my decisions on what I personally hear and from the advice of people that have heard, used, or own them.
ooh some one got butthurt, come back to me when Blues has taken HAT out of top rank. Sure I can use pretty much any speaker to beat another if mine are installed correctly and the others arn't. So again Blues audio is not in the same room as HAT/focal/hertz.

Why So Cereal?
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Soooooo....Wenn's post got to u enough to make an account or are you an AE?

wenn_du_weinst
06-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Soooooo....Wenn's post got to u enough to make an account or are you an AE?

it's an AE, he said pretty much the same thing on DIYMA with his other name and got laughed off the forum.

mdiscala
06-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Opinions are like a**holes everyone has one

I personally own a set of focal 6.5 components and I think they sound decent however they seem too me that they lack down low and they are not sharp enough up high (I miss my old mb quart components)

quackhead
06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
It aint even a fair fight without a "none of the above" option....

my .02