PDA

View Full Version : Cant get my new HU to work!!

stay_high
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I just upgraded head units. Ordered it off crutchfield. I simply cut all the wires away from the old one (power, ground, ignition turn on, and remote wires to amps). no speakers get plugged into the HU because they are hooked up to an external amp. Then i re-krimped them to the wires coming from the new HU. But i cant get it to turn on??? I dont know what coud've possibly gone wrong?? Any ideas? I made sure all connections were secure and all but i just cant get it to work. Any help is appreciated.

stay_high
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Another thing, i didnt plug in the "illumination" wire. Because i believe this just dims the HU display when you turn you lights on and it is not needed. Correct?

Sub Woofin
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
you prolly blew a fuse when cutting the wires

winkychevelle
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
check your fuses maybe when you cut the wires one of them touched the ground, and check your ground sometimes a radio needs a better ground than the factory and certain vehicles like nissan's need dedicated grounds run to the frame since the factory is run through the antenna. double check your connection for the speakers wires i know it sounds stupid but you may have connected a positive and negative together on the radio side and just not noticed it. this happens to me often with the purple wires

stay_high
06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
check your fuses maybe when you cut the wires one of them touched the ground, and check your ground sometimes a radio needs a better ground than the factory and certain vehicles like nissan's need dedicated grounds run to the frame since the factory is run through the antenna. double check your connection for the speakers wires i know it sounds stupid but you may have connected a positive and negative together on the radio side and just not noticed it. this happens to me often with the purple wires
No the speaker wires are just going from the amp to door speakers. Which were all working with the old HU. But i believe i blew a fuse. One of the wires sparked a couple times so thats probably it...

Kangaroux
06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
No the speaker wires are just going from the amp to door speakers. Which were all working with the old HU. But i believe i blew a fuse. One of the wires sparked a couple times so thats probably it...

If you saw any kind of sparking then you shorted it out and blew a fuse. Check your fuse box, I believe when it blows a fuse it's under "electric" unless your car has something specific for your headunit

stay_high
06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
you prolly blew a fuse when cutting the wires

Probably did. Any clue where this fuse would be located on a ford focus? =P

winkychevelle
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
look in the owners manuel but common places are the drivers side dash on the side and on the bottom and under the hood of coarse

stay_high
06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
If you saw any kind of sparking then you shorted it out and blew a fuse. Check your fuse box, I believe when it blows a fuse it's under "electric" unless your car has something specific for your headunit

Yea it sparked two seperate times. But i KNOW that the power wire never touched the ground...

Sub Woofin
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
check the HU's fuse if applicable and also the fuse box(s) on the car. they should be labeled on the cover. and theyre most likely 10 amp fuses

Dr. Slam
06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
What kind of car do you have? I know that some GM cars need special harnesses to work properly when installing an aftermarket head unit

stay_high
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
What kind of car do you have? I know that some GM cars need special harnesses to work properly when installing an aftermarket head unit
Its an 08 ford focus. But i already had an aftermarket sony xplod HU in there. I just needed a HU with more pre amp outs so i upgraded. But after an hour of searching i found a fuse box. I replaced 2 blown fuses on it and it didnt work. I later found out that the ones i replaced went to the two cigarette lighters in the car. Theres ANOTHER fuse box located all the way under the steering column thing i had to remove a panel to get to it. Its like impossible to reach. But any way theres a fuse in there labeled "radio start" or something. It must be that but its like 11 pm i gota sleep before work tomoro so itl have to wait..

stay_high
06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
and that BETTER work. Or else

goingdef
06-11-2012, 11:49 PM
hook the illumination wire to the turn on lead or some other 12v+ or the buttons won't light up!

Buck
06-11-2012, 11:51 PM
hook the illumination wire to the turn on lead or some other 12v+ or the buttons won't light up!

What?

Make sure you are getting voltage from your remote and constant via DMM, that's the first step.

goingdef
06-11-2012, 11:55 PM
What?

Make sure you are getting voltage from your remote and constant via DMM, that's the first step.

I just meant leaving the illumination unhooked disables the backlight function for the buttons what I said had nothing to do with his problem, I guess I should have been more clear about that!

stay_high
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM

Man the illumination just tells the HU to dim its lights when i turn my head lights on.. so it wont reduce my night vision. you dont need to plug it in

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

What?

Well first im going to check out the other fuse box for blown fuses. I didnt even have time to check.

Buck
06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
I just meant leaving the illumination unhooked disables the backlight function for the buttons what I said had nothing to do with his problem, I guess I should have been more clear about that!

I have hooked up tons of radios (as an installer), never used the illumination wire. Not hooking it up will have no negative effect.

stay_high
06-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Well my other porblem is that i cant get this new HU to fit where the old one did..... Like it slides half way in then there this little lip on the HU preventing it from sliding in further.. This is hard to explain and ill take some pics tomoro.. SOunds sketchy but i could sand it down lmao... Could never sell the unit then tho.

goingdef
06-12-2012, 12:12 AM
I have hooked up tons of radios (as an installer), never used the illumination wire. Not hooking it up will have no negative effect.

Ok last apline Hu I installed about two weeks ago had to come back out because after it got dark you couldn't find the buttons the car had been modded and had a toggle system for the headlights so there was no illumination wire so I had to make one, btw it dims the screen but turns on the lights for the buttons, but hey your car/install not mine just trying to help!

stay_high
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Ok last apline Hu I installed about two weeks ago had to come back out because after it got dark you couldn't find the buttons the car had been modded and had a toggle system for the headlights so there was no illumination wire so I had to make one, btw it dims the screen but turns on the lights for the buttons, but hey your car/install not mine just trying to help!

Not trying to argue here but the xplod HU in my car before didnt have this hooked up and it still lit up bright. Mabey the alpine was just different or something.

goingdef
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Not trying to argue here but the xplod HU in my car before didnt have this hooked up and it still lit up bright. Mabey the alpine was just different or something.

You may be right it could be different my Hu now has no buttons(jvc avx77) and the backlight is programmed by time on/off or headlight turn on so it's been a while since I messed with anything other then those two(mine/alpine) another Jvc of the same type and an older eclipse that was replaced by the alpine. but no i wasn't trying to argue either sorry if it came off that way.

audiobaun
06-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Dont forget to check the fuse that is on back of the HU also,make sure its not blown..or just change it anyways..its possible it has blown as well

stay_high
06-12-2012, 08:44 PM
CHanged the fuse in my car and it works.

audiobaun
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Good deal