PDA

View Full Version : Help with utimate SQ build

jvrtaboli
06-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi, I drive a 2000 Acura Integra Hatchback. I'm a novice when it comes to choosing hardware for a Sound Quality setup. I currently have JBL P662 door speakers powered by a JL Audio JX360/4 amp. The music sounds good, but I think it can sound better. I want the ultimate, mind-blowing sound quality setup. What door speakers, subwoofer(s), and amps do I need?

wenn_du_weinst
06-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I hope you have 20-30grand to spend.

keep_hope_alive
06-10-2012, 08:36 PM
yep.

8-10 grand gets you a very good system. nothing mind blowing, but still very good.

an example budget would be
$1500 for front speakers.
$1000+ per amplifier. 2-3 needed.
$1200 or more for the head unit and processing.
$1000 for sub and custom enclosure
$1000 in accessories and deadening
and 200 or so hours of installation

in the end, SQ is all about the installation.

you could spend 3x that just as easily but the increase would be incremental and still heavily dependent on installation. for a 20k+ investment, the vehicle should be fully customized.

jvrtaboli
06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
ok, well thats quite a bit more than i was expecting, maybe a setup thats somewhere in between what I have now and what you guys are describing, 1-2 grand maybe. ignore the "ultimate mind-blowing setup" part lol Im really just looking for a good, simple setup with door speakers, amps, and subwoofers that are sq oriented.

wenn_du_weinst
06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
thats what I figured
Multi-Channel Amplifiers (http://www.zukiaudio.net/)
the 4channel and the 2 channel
Imagine I61-2 6.5" Component / Coaxial Speaker Set - 12v Electronics (http://store.12velectronics.com/imagine-i61-2-6-5-component-coaxial-speaker-set/)
Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-466 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-466)
and then spend the rest on deadener.

Chad1
06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
We cant tell YOU what sounds good to YOU. hat has very good reviews, id look for a nice, slightly used set of them. 1000 per amp is retarded, and unneeded. Again, slightly used is fine, and you can find MANY great sq amps in the 250 ish range. My BEST sq advice? Honestly? Leave here and go to DIYMA. I wouldnt let most of these mouth breathers insert a cd into my deck, let alone give me sq advice.

wenn_du_weinst
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
what I listed was 450 an amp....

jolly_26
06-10-2012, 08:58 PM
We cant tell YOU what sounds good to YOU. hat has very good reviews, id look for a nice, slightly used set of them. 1000 per amp is retarded, and unneeded. Again, slightly used is fine, and you can find MANY great sq amps in the 250 ish range. My BEST sq advice? Honestly? Leave here and go to DIYMA. I wouldnt let most of these mouth breathers insert a cd into my deck, let alone give me sq advice.

"lets post in a forum insulting everyone in the forum!" Great idea buddy, now **** off.

PHD - USA
06-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Chad1 just does **** to **** people off, I compete in sound quality, and it's not as much what sounds good to you, but pleasing judges. My system didn't cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, and I have scored very well comparatively. My best advice, find equipment that will sell very easy, because if you are anything like the rest of us, you will be switching equipment frequently.

PHD - USA
06-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I would also sugget MLV and closed cell foam for the doors to reduce resonance.

jvrtaboli
06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
thats what I figured
Imagine I61-2 6.5" Component / Coaxial Speaker Set - 12v Electronics (http://store.12velectronics.com/imagine-i61-2-6-5-component-coaxial-speaker-set/)
Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-466 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-466)

Thanks! That's exactly the advice I've been looking for. But I have a question, on the amps, its says 2 x 5 watts and 4 x 5 watts. Isn't that very low? I apologize if I sound ignorant.

PHD - USA
06-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks! That's exactly the advice I've been looking for. But I have a question, on the amps, its says 2 x 5 watts and 4 x 5 watts. Isn't that very low? I apologize if I sound ignorant.

They underrate their amps substantially.

Chad1
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
what I listed was 450 an amp....
Not bad...

"lets post in a forum insulting everyone in the forum!" Great idea buddy, now **** off.
I cant help it you're stupid.

its a retarded method of rating the amps the seller thought was cute.

jolly_26
06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I cant help it I'm stupid.

Fixed.

assassin1840
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Not bad...

I cant help it you're stupid.

its a retarded method of rating the amps the seller thought was cute.clearly your retarded...... i do agree with you that there are many stupid ppl here but ween du is far from them. i would listen to him all day and keeping hope alive and ge off me......gtfo with your nonsense and bug some other ppl with your retarded opinions

Flex68
06-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Leave here and go to DIYMA. I wouldnt let most of these mouth breathers insert a cd into my deck, let alone give me sq advice.

DIYMA is a good suggestion: very capable group, tho they frown on newbs to some degree. No question that there are many on that forum that are SQ masters, tho, and could offer sound advice to someone looking for high-level SQ systems/installs... but you'll note, if you read, that the OP really isn't in that category.

Your superiority complex would prolly not be very welcomed over there, but since you seem to have so much more to offer than anyone here, why don't you go try them on for size....? Maybe that is just the place for you! I for one haven't missed a beat, here, while you were gone, 2002 OG.
Sorry to burst your bubble. :blush:

(My guess is you prolly don't know half a dozen people on this forum, anyway, but paint with your broad brush all you like, lmao)

keep_hope_alive
06-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Zuki doesn't underrate amps. they just choose a very low level of distortion and higher impedance to rate their amps.

any amplifier power rating is tied to a distortion level and load impedance. more power = more distortion from any amp. some companies use .01% some use 10.0%

a decent system that would make you happy has limitless combinations of equipment. i typically recommend spending more on speakers and a speaker amp than on a sub and sub amp.

what matters more than what you buy is how you install it. any speaker at any price can sound terrible if improperly installed and powered. regardless of what you buy, make sure you spend the time (and money) on installation.

to define what "installation" is: look at some build logs for successful SQ competitors. one common theme you'll see is time, lots and lots of time.

anyone on any forum can give you recommendations on what gear to buy. one forum is not any better than another for offering opinions.

Flex68
06-11-2012, 01:36 AM
one forum is not any better than another for offering opinions.

So, basically, ur saying one can go to SMD or Ant's little clusterflock site and get the same quality of recommendations as here or DIYMA??

I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, Rich, but don't agree with that one....

Why So Cereal?
06-11-2012, 03:54 AM
clearly your retarded...... i do agree with you that there are many stupid ppl here but ween du is far from them. i would listen to him all day and keeping hope alive and ge off me......gtfo with your nonsense and bug some other ppl with your retarded opinions

This. Except ge_off_me is ghey so he no matter.

OP, I would go with something similar to what Wenn suggested. And if u wish to compete, be sure to spend countless hours tuning. I honestly don't think thousands of dollars are needed to compete and do well. But research and time definitely are essential.

The_Grimy_One
06-11-2012, 04:39 AM
I would also sugget MLV and closed cell foam for the doors to reduce resonance.

Did you notice a substantial difference?

Imtjnotu
06-11-2012, 04:44 AM
dom where is the link to the all HAT build

The_Grimy_One
06-11-2012, 04:46 AM
dom where is the link to the all HAT build

Nobody Beats Hybrid (http://nobodybeatshybrid.net/scott-buwalda/)

Imtjnotu
06-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Nobody Beats Hybrid (http://nobodybeatshybrid.net/scott-buwalda/)

look at this thread op......the end

PHD - USA
06-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Did you notice a substantial difference?

Due to the rules in my class, I cannot confirm that I use CCF or MLV in my doors ;)

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

This. Except ge_off_me is ghey so he no matter.

OP, I would go with something similar to what Wenn suggested. And if u wish to compete, be sure to spend countless hours tuning. I honestly don't think thousands of dollars are needed to compete and do well. But research and time definitely are essential.

I'm not that ghey =[

keep_hope_alive
06-11-2012, 09:01 AM
So, basically, ur saying one can go to SMD or Ant's little clusterflock site and get the same quality of recommendations as here or DIYMA??

I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, Rich, but don't agree with that one....

no, i'm saying you can go to any forum and get opinions. you can get recommendations.

i didn't say they were useful. rarely is someone's opinion on "which gear is better?" is worth anything to the asker. it's like asking "what type of car should i buy?"

the answer is: it's up to you. do your research (if you want/can). try out what you can (if you want). make a decision on what you like best. i know people who just buy cars without any forethought other than color.

the correct question to ask is what types of speakers fit best in a vehicle, what the maximum mounting depth is, are there integration issues, etc.. and that question is best asked in a forum for that specific vehicle. asking vehicle specific questions in a general forum will provide hit-and-miss answers.

if we are given a price range, we can each chime in on what we would buy for that money. and just about everyone will have a different answer.

over at SoundDomain we attempted to build a list of Poor/Good/Better/Best. problem was the list was long. it had to have year ranges assigned to each brand. then each brand had several lines in each section. and there was disagreement among us mods as to what lived where.

wenn_du_weinst
06-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Umm. Ant owns diyma.....

wenn_du_weinst
06-11-2012, 05:14 PM

As stated later in thread they are rated differently then normal amps are. They do plenty of power for the drivers I listed. This is of course only one route you can take. It is one I probably would do though.

Shinju
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Win thread is full of win!

Approve of this message!

Buck
06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
HAT is the way to go :yumyum:

shadow
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Hertz,Dynaudio.Morel,Hat. All are great.. And have comps that would fit in ur budget. and the list could go on.
You can check'em out read reviews till u are cross eyed. In the end You will just have to hear'em for yourself...
Used amps and comps can save u some $$....
One can have a real nice system for 2-3k, real nice.....
Good luck and go check out some high-end stereo shops.....

Flex68
06-11-2012, 10:37 PM
no, i'm saying you can go to any forum and get opinions. you can get recommendations.

i didn't say they were useful. rarely is someone's opinion on "which gear is better?" is worth anything to the asker. it's like asking "what type of car should i buy?"

the answer is: it's up to you. do your research (if you want/can). try out what you can (if you want). make a decision on what you like best. i know people who just buy cars without any forethought other than color.

the correct question to ask is what types of speakers fit best in a vehicle, what the maximum mounting depth is, are there integration issues, etc.. and that question is best asked in a forum for that specific vehicle. asking vehicle specific questions in a general forum will provide hit-and-miss answers.

if we are given a price range, we can each chime in on what we would buy for that money.

Well said.
I prolly should have "gotten" that from ur other post....had worked all night and running on 15%

Umm. Ant owns diyma.....

See above, lol.
I was thinking of the Car Audio Classifieds forums

keep_hope_alive
06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Well said.
I prolly should have "gotten" that from ur other post....had worked all night and running on 15%

thanks for prompting a clarification. :) we're on the same page.

Bettr n' Revrse
06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Mehhhh eveyone knows JL is the way to go for SQ...

Chad1
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
look at this thread op......the end

That is absolutely NOTHING compared to the beryllium bmw.

jolly_26
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Thats not even clever. We both agree you're a blithering idiot though

You lost the argument when everyone disliked your comment and liked mine. Sorry to clutter your thread OP, last post here, hope it all goes well :)

TheUnderFighter
06-11-2012, 11:36 PM
That is absolutely NOTHING compared to the beryllium bmw.

That.... is the most ridiculous build ever. I don't even think ridiculous describes it properly. Mind-blowing?

Chad1
06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Mehhhh eveyone knows JL is the way to go for SQ...

I mean, its,no sundown, but its ok, amirite?

Chad1
06-11-2012, 11:41 PM
That.... is the most ridiculous build ever. I don't even think ridiculous describes it properly. Mind-blowing?

Yup. That guy puts more time into MAKING THE TOOLS to make the piece then most do in their whole build.

quackhead
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
thats what I figured

any more specs on the Zuki amps readily available?

keep_hope_alive
06-12-2012, 12:57 AM
ive been here since 02, as well as diyma. I know anyone who matters here.

Too bad you're not on your own list, eh? :)

Bettr n' Revrse
06-12-2012, 04:28 AM
I mean, its,no sundown, but its ok, amirite?

Sundown owns all!

CHEMMINS
06-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I know myself. You are not on the list however. You are, and will remain, a nobody. Only good for the occasional laugh :)

And you have offered the OP absolutely nothing in the way of help on his original or any other question he has had. I believe you are trolling....outside the dome....which means you should be ban for stupidity. Something you believe everyone else is but yourself.

Please by all means post up something you have built or accomplished. Not just something someone else has done, as anyone can do that.

There are many many forums out there and for you to only list one that would be of help means you are heavily biased toward it, or ban from the rest. My guess would be the latter.

Please take your extreme ignorance from this persons thread and either go to the dome and continue, or just keep yer mouth shut. Thanks.

Jroo
06-12-2012, 08:28 AM
You need to start listening to every system you can and every speaker you can. One of the best systems I ever had was basically a active 3 way in my GTi. I had a set of active coaxes up front and a sub, thats it. I had 3 really big amps, a really nice deck at the time, and a sealed sub. It was decently loud, not skull crushing like some like but was very clean. People always got out of the car saying that all the equipment you have and it sounds like that. One of the best pieces of advice I got was worry about your highs first. Get your highs the way you want them and then add you sub last. BTW, DIYMA is probably the best forum if you just want to learn about sq. I used to go on their daily and just read and I picked a great deal by doing that and just asking questions.

Joseph7195
06-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I know myself. You are not on the list however. You are, and will remain, a nobody. Only good for the occasional laugh :)

Your the only person I have heard call him a "nobody". I am still trying to figure out if you can be an asset to this forum, or will at some point in time you may become useful.

Why So Cereal?
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
And you have offered the OP absolutely nothing in the way of help on his original or any other question he has had. I believe you are trolling....outside the dome....which means you should be ban for stupidity. Something you believe everyone else is but yourself.

Please by all means post up something you have built or accomplished. Not just something someone else has done, as anyone can do that.

There are many many forums out there and for you to only list one that would be of help means you are heavily biased toward it, or ban from the rest. My guess would be the latter.

Please take your extreme ignorance from this persons thread and either go to the dome and continue, or just keep yer mouth shut. Thanks.

Your the only person I have heard call him a "nobody". I am still trying to figure out if you can be an asset to this forum, or will at some point in time you may become useful.

Those. Also, no one cares what year u joined the forum :fyi:

Flex68
06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
And you have offered the OP absolutely nothing in the way of help on his original or any other question he has had.

Someone just got called out. :fro:

I am still trying to figure out if you can be an asset to this forum.

He is simply here to troll.
As immature as he is right now, I am shocked his parents let him join back in '02, when he could have only been , like, what..... 7 ?

keep_hope_alive
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM

i'm fine with that. go on with your bad self.

Imtjnotu
06-12-2012, 03:54 PM
If ever it came to an opinion between Chad1 and keephopealive..... Chads opinion can go suckk a meat cigar