PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Touch 4th gen shattered?

goingdef
06-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Well the other night my wife went to grab the Ipod out of the car and just as she was walking in the door she dropped it on the concrete stairs needless to say it shattered! So I have no warranty and it still works but looks horrible! Has anyone bought the replacement screen off ebay? And how hard was it to pry the thing apart and get it all back together?

wenn_du_weinst
06-09-2012, 04:02 PM
usually you can find places to repair it cheap as hell. local place here charges $10 plus parts

goingdef
06-09-2012, 04:04 PM
usually you can find places to repair it cheap as hell. local place here charges $10 plus parts

Really that cheap! wow now I wish I hadn't thrown such a b!+ch fit when it happened!

wenn_du_weinst
06-09-2012, 04:06 PM
check cell phone repair places.

goingdef
06-09-2012, 04:14 PM
check cell phone repair places.

appreciate it man, I was thinking about having to send it back to apple, I never realized there would be local places offering services on them.

BigSix
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
yeah local repair shops do it real cheap nowadays

goingdef
06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
yeah local repair shops do it real cheap nowadays

I never thought I would have to have a repair like this done and normally I would just replace whatever was damaged but the things only a couple months old! My old Ipod with the round dial still gets it and I have dropped it several times, I would have thought this one was tougher but I guess not.

RCcrawler
06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
While back, the gf's ipod got broke.. We spent some time on google.. forget what the site was, but I bought a new screen and glass,. did the repair myself.

Dirtrider4eva
06-09-2012, 07:02 PM
it depends. unfortunately the new ipod touch 4gs have the screen synthesizers and glass glued together.. so its a little more pricey fix. usually apple charges 100.
i got mine done locally for $65. i saw videos of how to do it and sait forget it. 65 is cheap. screens vary $20 to 80.

goingdef
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
it depends. unfortunately the new ipod touch 4gs have the screen synthesizers and glass glued together.. so its a little more pricey fix. usually apple charges 100.
i got mine done locally for $65. i saw videos of how to do it and sait forget it. 65 is cheap. screens vary $20 to 80.

yea when they used the glue I said screw it, that and a bunch of little things have to be removed to unplug the wires to even remove the screen. The thing that REALLY pissed me off is right after she did it she say's "it still works"with that whats your problem tone, god that really gets under my skin.

KTMrida4life
06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Im replacing one for my friend right now. Screen was 12$ on ebay from hong kong and Ive already got the old screen out. You have to be very careful with all the little ribbon cables. Im just doing it because I was more curious than anything.

goingdef
06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Im replacing one for my friend right now. Screen was 12$ on ebay from hong kong and Ive already got the old screen out. You have to be very careful with all the little ribbon cables. Im just doing it because I was more curious than anything.

so how did you get it apart I'm assuming it's the newest model with the cemented parts?

KTMrida4life
06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
so how did you get it apart I'm assuming it's the newest model with the cemented parts?

Yup. iPod Touch 4th Gen Broken Screen Replacement How To - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcmZa5dCNo)

Stanley blade. Ive also heard heating it up with a hairdryer a bit before hand helps as well.

rebelfromva
06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Very carefully but it is easy if you follow the directions and seperate ultour screws

UnderFire
06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
It's extremely easy, only takes like 5 minutes. Just be careful when you're prying off the front or you'll crack the frame around the digitizer where the button is, it doesn't mess anything up just looks bad.

goingdef
06-13-2012, 04:25 PM
well I guess I will order a new lens and grab an exacto knife and a hair dryer, hell what's the worst that could happen from this point!

Kangaroux
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Some of the screen on my 3g touch doesn't work...would replacing the digitizer fix that?

keep_hope_alive
06-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Likely it will. Have done several. Easy.