PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit refusing to detect USB?

Nightly1029
06-08-2012, 06:07 PM
I have a JVC KD-A625 head unit. My iPod was working fine plugged into it for at least 6 months, then it just never detected it one morning. I've tried different cords, and the iPod works just fine hooked up to my computers. I checked the JVC manual, and I'm pretty sure it said "Keep trying!" for the suggestion. It has been broken for a couple weeks, and I can't even use my iPod in my car because it doesn't stay charged with an old fashioned audio cord. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

MisterDeadeye
06-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Have you recently updated your iOS firmware? My old head unit stopped working with my iPhone once I updated to iOS 5. Half of the time it doesn't charge, or will give me an error, or say there aren't any songs on, etc.

Do you have a USB flash drive or something that you can try with the head unit to ensure that your USB port isn't broken?

Nightly1029
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm not really sure what iOS I have, but plugged into iTunes, it says it's up to date. Software version 1.1.2 (It's an older iPod, not a touch or iPhone or anything) If I ever upgraded firmware, it worked fine after that. It just stopped working out of the blue as it was sitting in the car the whole time.

I tried hooking my phone up to it, I'm not really sure if it's "hooked up" with just a usb power cord, but it didn't play anything, either. If it's my head unit, does that call for a complete replacement? I don't know how it would have even broke in the first place, it wasn't put through much stress.

MisterDeadeye
06-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Ah, definitely not a firmware compatibility issue, then. Is your phone an Android? If it's not an iDevice, your head unit probably doesn't work with it. The only way to check if the USB is working is with another iPod, a flash drive, or a portable hard drive.

Nightly1029
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
It is an Android. I'll need to pick up a cheapo usb drive and see if it changes anything. I figured since the iPod works fine in the PC, it was instantly a problem with the head unit. If the flash drive does not work, would I need a new head unit to get the USB working? I'm really hoping there's like a USB on/off switch that I'm missing. = P

MisterDeadeye
06-09-2012, 02:42 AM
If the flash drive is not recognized by the head unit, I think it's time to contact JVC customer support.

I know a friend of mine recently bought a JVC, and his unit out of the box wouldn't play CDs.

maylar
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I use USB flash drives in my JVC and sometimes it loses connection to the device, but just unplugging it and reinserting it always fixes it.