PDA

View Full Version : design ported box for SD E15? Need some help

Weeznur32
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Need some help designing a ported box for a Sundown E15" driver.

I was thinking around 3.5 cubes @ 33hz. Anyone suggest otherwise?

Can anyone help me out with a design for a box?

I listen to mainly hip hop and want it to get loud and low (For what it is- a budget sub).

I used to use RE enclosure calculator like 6 years ago...is there a better program now for box design that's simple and easy to use?

Thanks everyone.

jolly_26
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Have a read of this thread I did a while back http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/530679-accuracy-online-port-calculators.html

Weeznur32
06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
so it looks like ill stick to the 12 volt. Thanks

Anyone wanna spend a little time and help me design super legit box though?

RAM_Designs
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Have a read of this thread I did a while back http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/530679-accuracy-online-port-calculators.html

People don't know how to use the carstereo.com calc right. When asked "Is this a slot port", answer no, because if you answer yes it will factor in the end correction(half of the port's width) and tell you how long the MDF will be, not what the total effective port length needs to be. Just answer no and it'll give you what the effective port length should be, and it's within in inch or so of winISD on a 30" port, which is less than a 1hz difference.

Just did some testing and it gives the exact same length as the12volt.com does.

jolly_26
06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
People don't know how to use the carstereo.com calc right. When asked "Is this a slot port", answer no, because if you answer yes it will factor in the end correction(half of the port's width) and tell you how long the MDF will be, not what the total effective port length needs to be. Just answer no and it'll give you what the effective port length should be, and it's within in inch or so of winISD on a 30" port, which is less than a 1hz difference.

Just did some testing and it gives the exact same length as the12volt.com does.

huh, that's weird, I tested a number of different box/port/tunings, and I remember it being off by solid amounts each time. Either I made some serious mistakes every time, or the calculator has changed since I did it, because I just ran some stuff through it and you're definitely correct; they're very similar.

RAM_Designs
06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
huh, that's weird, I tested a number of different box/port/tunings, and I remember it being off by solid amounts each time. Either I made some serious mistakes every time, or the calculator has changed since I did it, because I just ran some stuff through it and you're definitely correct; they're very similar.

I bet you selected that it was a slot port, so it figured end correction for you. Doing 4ft^3 at 33hz with a 16"x4" port, both carstereo.com and the12volt.com give me 32.99"

jolly_26
06-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I bet you selected that it was a slot port, so it figured end correction for you. Doing 4ft^3 at 33hz with a 16"x4" port, both carstereo.com and the12volt.com give me 32.99"

Yes but as stated in my thread I was getting errors of up to 20%, and that wouldn't do that. I must have done something else wrong, trying to work out what it could be now.