PDA

View Full Version : BATTERY! Optima or Diehard?

DeboLotti
06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
For my 2 12" L7 ported, im gonna have them on a zx1000.1 (probably more likely) or a zx1500.1. I have an 1800 watt amp wirin kit (pretty sure its 4awg), and Im gonna do the big 3 with 0 awg. In my 2007 pontiac g6 v6 sedan, with stock alt (120 amps is what it said online about it, so i wont change it), do i need to change my OEM battery with a yellowtop or diehard battery? OR can i keep my stock and just put another battery by the amp?if so which battery do you reccomend? Keep in mind im getting 2 headrest screens and a touchscreen pioneer double din, and a neon sign in my trunk with 2 electronic trunk pop actuators, but i never play music without the engine on and running. Any response would be appreciated cuz i been stressin out lookin all over this sight for some answers and really i just see people makin ******** comments to eachother. Thanks!

dragnix
06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Wrong section Brah. Optima

kushy_dreams
06-04-2012, 03:16 PM
diehard platinum > optima

JoshC
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
*** that noise fool, go to oreilly and get the HD superstart. 1080 crank amps, 880 cold chanking

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
diehard is much better then optima, and has alot better warranty..

09civic
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Diehard for sure.

JoshC
06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
oreillys batts have a 2yr no questions free exchange if ure batt fails

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 04:11 PM

and diehard platinum has 4 lol

CAT MAN
06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
diehard. i use a redtop but i know those platnums are beats.

JoshC
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
and diehard platinum has 4 lol

and superstarts are half the price lmfao actaully less then half AND they have 880 cold cranking amps

07denali
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Diehard. Sears had a 30% off deal on Diehard Platinums. Not sure if that's still going on. It was only like $149 picked up at your local Sears but you had to exchange your batt otherwise they charge you another $5-10.

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Diehard. Sears had a 30% off deal on Diehard Platinums. Not sure if that's still going on. It was only like $149 picked up at your local Sears but you had to exchange your batt otherwise they charge you another $5-10.

core charge is $15 like anywhere you would go to buy a new car battery

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

and superstarts are half the price lmfao actaully less then half AND they have 880 cold cranking amps

yea and half the AH rating also lol... diehard would own a superstart, get over it ... :naughty:

Kangaroux
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Aren't optimas made by diehard/oddysey?

Julian
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
The Diehard Group 31 is a rebagged marine version of the Odyssey 2150.. one of the baddest batteries out there.

JoshC
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
core charge is $15 like anywhere you would go to buy a new car battery

yea and half the AH rating also lol... diehard would own a superstart, get over it ... :naughty:

couldnt find a AH rating on the super start, but the RC is better on the super start too lmfao naw it was just way less and i have a 140amp alt. I give no fucks

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM
couldnt find a AH rating on the super start, but the RC is better on the super start too lmfao naw it was just way less and i have a 140amp alt. I give no fucks

like anything in this world... you get what you pay for.. :thumbcool:

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
The Diehard Group 31 is a rebagged marine version of the Odyssey 2150.. one of the baddest batteries out there.

yup,..

i used 5 diehard platinum's before my new build, now i use 3 deka's

CAT MAN
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
like anything in this world... you get what you pay for.. :thumbcool:

not 100% true man.

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Johnsons contol's makes optimas..

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
not 100% true man.

eh well almost anything, but there was this one time... nevermind:naughty:

snoopdan
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I can sell you a brand new Deka group 31 for $80 ... I bought too many the other day and its a leftover.

GAMEOVERCCA
06-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I can sell you a brand new Deka group 31 for $80 ... I bought too many the other day and its a leftover.

what deka? thats a killer deal..

TheUnderFighter
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Diehard Platinum

snoopdan
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
what deka? thats a killer deal..

Its an unlabeled Deka gel cell UPS battery, 70 ah .... I've got 6 of them running in my jeep now. I thought I could fit it under the hood but that didn't work out too well, so this is just an extra. Yeah I know i'm giving it away, just need it out of the way at the shop.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg144/snoopdan2/deka-1.jpg

Sub Woofin
06-04-2012, 08:13 PM

and duralast has 3yrs

DeboLotti
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Allright so go with the diehard platinum. Will just one battery get the job done? I can just replace my stock battery, correct?

slim2fattycake
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
get the biggest you can fit under the hood if you're going to replace it.

DeboLotti
06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Well the pontiac g6 says the size is 70 ah and not to go above that.. diehard sells a platinum series at 65 ah... thats perfect right!!

snoopdan
06-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Well the pontiac g6 says the size is 70 ah and not to go above that.. diehard sells a platinum series at 65 ah... thats perfect right!!

you do know that you want it to be the most ah as possible right?

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Nah i didnt lol. I just read that little bit of info and assumed that was all i need to know, whoops. so what do you reccommend?

CRSO
06-05-2012, 02:45 AM

Yes they are

keep_hope_alive
06-05-2012, 03:22 AM
I threeve the DieHard Platinum battery recommendations... Odyssey builds them to military specs.

a more useful metric for evaluating batteries is Reserve Capacity (RC)

BFeezy
06-05-2012, 03:52 AM
if anyone needs batts and wants to pay shipping the powersports dealer my dad works for is a deka dealer and can get 9a31s for 180 plus whatever the actual shipping to you would be

snoopdan
06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I threeve the DieHard Platinum battery recommendations... Odyssey builds them to military specs.

a more useful metric for evaluating batteries is Reserve Capacity (RC)

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you were just worried about doing burps for compeitions then short circuit current would be more of a metric.

if anyone needs batts and wants to pay shipping the powersports dealer my dad works for is a deka dealer and can get 9a31s for 180 plus whatever the actual shipping to you would be

and that's a good deal??!?!?

wickedwitt
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM

This, plus Super Start batteries are just re-badged Dekas which means you saved lots of money getting great batteries.

JoshC
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
This, plus Super Start batteries are just re-badged Dekas which means you saved lots of money getting great batteries.

I knew they were repackaged something good, couldnt remember what. But there actually 3yr warrentys and 100bucks compared to 250 on the diehard. But the diehard is a ****** batt

I have the HD super start, 880 cold cranking and 150AC... Couldnt find a AH rating

wickedwitt
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I knew they were repackaged something good, couldnt remember what. But there actually 3yr warrentys and 100bucks compared to 250 on the diehard. But the diehard is a ****** batt

I have the HD super start, 880 cold cranking and 150AC... Couldnt find a AH rating
I've had both, and I would but my Dekas against a DieHard any day. For the price of Super Start badging, I wouldn't do anything different if I didn't get dealer cost on all my Dekas.

On your HD, it depends on what group it is. For typical up front batts, most of them seem to be 85 AH or 95 AH, small case and 'average' case.

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
So super start or diehard? Keep in mind Im fresh outta HS I don't have tons of money

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Lol somebody just tell me what battery to get! Its not a competition system its a daily driver I just need to know! Its gonna be under 2000 watts easily! Whays under the hood of my pontiac right now is a duralast gold! Should I keep that and add another or replace it!!! Someone plz answer all questions.

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Oh and my duralast gold has side posts its model number 75 DLG

snoopdan
06-05-2012, 05:20 PM
adding another battery to your setup is always a wise decision. The Deka I have would work just fine!

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Wait, if my stock alt is 125 amps can I just keep this 75ah duralast? It has 700CCA and 875 at 32degrees

Corey0195
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Just get one of the ones listed above by the like...6 people that all have their own personal preference.. Get the one that you can get for the best price because any of them would work... You will want another Bat on a stock alternator
Even if you get a zx1000 when bass hits your lights in the car would dim pretty baddly without another bat

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Ok I will go to sears and get a superstart. Ill try to find a 75ah or higher. And I can look up how to wire my stock duralast gold to the superstart. I can keep my alt cuz its 125 amps. Thanks guys. And if I have voltage drops I'm comin for your a s s e s lol I just want my system to bang

keep_hope_alive
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
batteries won't stop your voltage from dropping. adding batteries will increase voltage drop (down to the battery float voltage) since another battery is another load for the alt to charge. voltage drop itself is inherent in EVERY wire that has current. can't avoid it.

you only get 14.4V out of an alternator when it can supply enough current to all of the loads in the car (system, battery charging, car stuff, etc.). once you ask for more than the alternator is providing at that instant, voltage drops. the alt output depends on the engine speed and ability to continue to turn the alt pulley when on a load. the alt is a generator, as you load it up it becomes harder to turn. in general, you get about half the alt output at idle compared to 2500 RPM.

so at idle, with your system cranked and headlights on, you'll get dimming regardless of how many batteries you have. batteries can't help you maintain 14.4V. they can help you maintain 12.5-13V. The drop from 14V to 13V is visible in the headlights.

add a volt meter in the dash somewhere (the cig lighter kind is easy). keep an eye on voltage. note that adding batteries means you have even more to charge. and the weakest battery will drain the new stronger battery, pulling it down.

one good starting battery is enough for most systems. adding batteries adds complexity and cost in wiring and fusing, complexity in mounting/safety, and they take up space.

you should have 1/0 wire between the batteries and fuses on each end of the power wire. upgrading the Big 3 is also recommended.

if it were me, i would get the best up front battery you can afford, and do the big 3. then see where you are at. if you only listen when the car is running, and you have a modest system, that should be plenty.

people that add multiple batteries for "daily drivers" may just have inadequate charging systems and rely on the batteries to power the system and supply instantaneous current. additional batteries are certainly good for peak bass demands (at a lower voltage than the alt). so you get voltage drop which reduces power output, but maybe not as much if you didn't have the extra batteries.

that should confuse you more. cheers.

DeboLotti
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey thabks keep_hope_alive Ill get on that. Do u have an email I can hit you up with and let you know hw my system is comin along? Lol I doubt thisll be the first time I need help

CRSO
06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
batteries won't stop your voltage from dropping. adding batteries will increase voltage drop (down to the battery float voltage) since another battery is another load for the alt to charge. voltage drop itself is inherent in EVERY wire that has current. can't avoid it.

you only get 14.4V out of an alternator when it can supply enough current to all of the loads in the car (system, battery charging, car stuff, etc.). once you ask for more than the alternator is providing at that instant, voltage drops. the alt output depends on the engine speed and ability to continue to turn the alt pulley when on a load. the alt is a generator, as you load it up it becomes harder to turn. in general, you get about half the alt output at idle compared to 2500 RPM.

so at idle, with your system cranked and headlights on, you'll get dimming regardless of how many batteries you have. batteries can't help you maintain 14.4V. they can help you maintain 12.5-13V. The drop from 14V to 13V is visible in the headlights.

add a volt meter in the dash somewhere (the cig lighter kind is easy). keep an eye on voltage. note that adding batteries means you have even more to charge. and the weakest battery will drain the new stronger battery, pulling it down.

one good starting battery is enough for most systems. adding batteries adds complexity and cost in wiring and fusing, complexity in mounting/safety, and they take up space.

you should have 1/0 wire between the batteries and fuses on each end of the power wire. upgrading the Big 3 is also recommended.

if it were me, i would get the best up front battery you can afford, and do the big 3. then see where you are at. if you only listen when the car is running, and you have a modest system, that should be plenty.

people that add multiple batteries for "daily drivers" may just have inadequate charging systems and rely on the batteries to power the system and supply instantaneous current. additional batteries are certainly good for peak bass demands (at a lower voltage than the alt). so you get voltage drop which reduces power output, but maybe not as much if you didn't have the extra batteries.

that should confuse you more. cheers.

Excellent!

husker77
06-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Nice post k.h.a. 10 years ago if you talked about putting in extra batteries you were chastised for the thought, it was just another load like you said.

The other thing I can't really figure out is deep cycle batteries probably are not very good for this application any way. Up to a year ago I was a boat mechanic, anytime someone had starting or charging issues you could almost guarantee they were using a deep cycle(or walmart) battery for their starting battery. They are made to be discharged slowly and then recharged slowly, I wouldn't really think they would like the little "pulls" they would get, then the high recharge rate of a ho alt.

I will say I had a yellow top in my suburban for 2 years, I pulled the battery when I was doing some work and it sat in an unheated garage for over a year. Then I needed a battery for another vehicle, picked it up stuck it in and it started it without a jump or charge. Ran it in there for over a year, then pulled it out and used it in a camper for a while. Finally died when my brother dropped it on something and drove a 1" gash into one of the coils.

disturbed471985
06-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Best budget batt out IMO is Deka. Had zero issues out of my 9a31's for the 2+years I owned them. Look around you can find these used at a very good price I paid 110 shipped for each of mine and got 2 years of usage out of them so they were a great investment. They are in a friends car now and still going strong.

Durango03
06-06-2012, 09:00 AM
question about the Super Start's. Do you have to go with the AGM? Ive been a little hesitant to drop $1.3k on XS, they claim I need a 1200 ($206) for a starter and 3 x 3100 ($369ea).

This just seems like a better way to go from the information within this thread.

DeboLotti
06-07-2012, 01:20 AM
I went to autozone and almost bought an optima lol. I'm going to orielly tomorrow to see of they have that HD superstart. If not imgonna try and get the highest ah and cca rating I can afford

DeboLotti
06-07-2012, 01:31 AM
So if my battery rating is 75 I should try to get the highest cca at that rating, correct?

slim2fattycake
06-07-2012, 01:37 AM
75 what? and you just need to get the highest aH rating if this is for daily. I don't know why you don't wanna buy snoopdan's deka.

DeboLotti
06-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Lol I wasn't thinking when I typed that. Its a duralast gold 75-dlg im my car now. And has a reserve capacity of 95... and I'm very insterested in buyin his deka... PM me please lol I still don't know much about this. I just read that its ok if the ccas are a little low as long as the ah is high.. true?