PDA

View Full Version : is maple any good?

splwj47
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
went to pick up some birch to build my enclosure but it was way to warped so got some maple, is maple going to be good for my box?

Jerhemy
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
should be, thats what they make bowling pins and part of the bowling lane out of. Real hard wood for sure. Not sure on the acoustical traits though.

splwj47
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
pro-rabbit RAM_Designs Buck double 07

double 07
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Never used Maple........brace it appropriately and give it a whirl......prob be someone along any minute now to tell you that you should only build boxes with MDF.........good luck with the build

splwj47
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Never used Maple........brace it appropriately and give it a whirl......prob be someone along any minute now to tell you that you should only build boxes with MDF.........good luck with the build

the only reason im not using mdf is cuz i want to cut down on the weight. so i wanted to use birch, but the condition of the birch was not usable.

pro-rabbit
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
MDF has been the standard for a reason, and if you search you will find that long list of why.

Will other materials work? Yes, they will. Will there be a compromise, of course.

In the end it is up to you. Personally I have used MDF for our main installs for 14 years(massive SPL rigs, SQ builds, show cars, regular customers, and much much more) with zero negative issues. Weight is not an issue in my book, simply because if that is an issue then you should be considering things other then audio for your MPG or HP/weight ratio.

I agree though, if you want to try it go for it. Just build it like you normally would and see where it leads you. Never know what the result will be.

splwj47
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
MDF has been the standard for a reason, and if you search you will find that long list of why.

Will other materials work? Yes, they will. Will there be a compromise, of course.

In the end it is up to you. Personally I have used MDF for our main installs for 14 years(massive SPL rigs, SQ builds, show cars, regular customers, and much much more) with zero negative issues. Weight is not an issue in my book, simply because if that is an issue then you should be considering things other then audio for your MPG or HP/weight ratio.

I agree though, if you want to try it go for it. Just build it like you normally would and see where it leads you. Never know what the result will be.

what kind of compromises?

double 07
06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Go to Dave the box guys website and ask him if there are any compromises....he has been building with Arauco and Mdf for years and he also builds spl and sq setups......the reason i am mentioning Dave is that's how i found out about the Arauco...I stumbled onto his facebook page......this dude is freaking AMAZING with wood.......i as a builder respect his work!!!!!

RAM_Designs
06-02-2012, 12:09 AM
The arauco plywood is crazy light...probably half the wight of MDF.

splwj47
06-02-2012, 12:14 AM
The arauco plywood is crazy light...probably half the wight of MDF.

i picked up some maple is it any good?

wenn_du_weinst
06-02-2012, 12:19 AM
bamboo is better then mdf in every category. Maple will be fine

splwj47
06-02-2012, 12:42 AM
bamboo is better then mdf in every category. Maple will be fine

awesome thanks for a direct awnser!

wenn_du_weinst
06-02-2012, 12:44 AM
if it was for a HT speaker I would recommend you brace the living hell out of it, but in car you won't notice the resonance as much.

splwj47
06-02-2012, 12:45 AM
if it was for a HT speaker I would recommend you brace the living hell out of it, but in car you won't notice the resonance as much.

ya its going to be braced with 2x2's

mlstrass
06-02-2012, 03:49 AM
is it hardwood maple or just the standard ply with a maple veneer?

sexiewasd
06-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Maple is an excellent tone wood. It's a top choice for building string instruments, and speakers for a reason. Now any natural wood is going to change the sound of a speaker more than MDF will due to MDF being a consistent density, but for Subwoofers in a car you really won't notice anything but the good looks, and a much lighter wallet.