PDA

View Full Version : Builders\Designers UNITE.....and help me please

Exist_ential
05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
so i have decided to build my own box (my first) for my new skar vvx 12 that i just ordered and would like some assistance.

First off aside from MDF and fiberglass what else can i build my box from?

Better port Round or Slot?

If i go round is PVC actually a good choice for port material or is there something else i should be looking at?

what do i need to design the box?

What does everyone use to trace the cutout for the sub and port?

If i go slot port i have a couple ideas of what i want but if i go round i have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated guys. Thanks.

double 07
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I like 23/32" Arauco Plywood (easier to work with and NO MDF BOOGERS!!!).....Since you are building it yourself pvc would probably be easier. You can use free box calculators on the net to figure out box size and port length (Torres Calculator)...Pre-drill your screw holes as to not split the wood and use Titebond glue in the joints. I also like to caulk my boxes after the fact so that the only air that comes out does so at the PORT!!!!!...Oh and I use a pair of DIVIDERS to draw out my circles...It's a tool used in the A/C industry to mark holes in sheet metal..It looks like a GIANT COMPASS!!!!!!.........LOL........GOOD LUCK

dbeez
05-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Why the compass the jasper jig on your router makes a perfect circle everytime.

double 07
05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I do use a router and a jig.......But I have owned the dividers for over 20 years and I usually use them to lay out the circle, then cut it out with router/jig.......Or you can use a Jigsaw too once you have the circle scratched into the surface.......

dbeez
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh no thanks on the jig saw just drill my center hole and router the perfect circle everytime its the way to go.

double 07
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
A router is the way to go but the average individual building ONE enclosure probably isn't going to go out and buy a router and jig!!!!! lol

dbeez
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
They should that **** thing has come in handy on more than just sub enclosure hahahaha

Exist_ential
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM
got 3 routers but no jig for them.

dbeez
05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Buy the jasper jig its a great investment

double 07
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
oh......ok......get you a jig for about $40.......Hopefully one of those routers is a plunge router....It doesn't have to be but they are easier to use......I have a plunge router with panel cutout bit........

Exist_ential
05-31-2012, 11:06 PM
unfortunately they are not plunge routers that will be later.

do you guys prefer slot or round port and why?

double 07
05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't really have a PORT style preference....I usually go with slots though if the enclosure will allow it.. Its nothing else to buy (AEROS) cause the wood is right there in front of you. The edges of the wood can be rounded and 45s can be used to smooth out the port passage. Some say that's as good as an Aero.....It's all up to what you think looks the best......good luck

fomoco365
05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
If you are cheap like me, you can make perfect circles using a jigsaw and some fabricating skills.

I find and mark the center of the hole. Then drill a small hole in a thin piece of wood and screw it loosely to the center of the hole. Next, measure and drill at the radius another small hole (about 1/8th inch will work). Once that is done, place a pencil through the small hole and draw a circle. Now you can simply cut the hole out with a jigsaw.

CAT MAN
05-31-2012, 11:19 PM
mdf birch grade A pine. the plywood double 07 mentioned. all good for boxes. i am partial to slot ports if the space allows it.

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 11:38 AM
ok so here are a few more questions. the skar site recommends a max 2cu ft enclosure when tuned to 32hz. my box is 34x16x16 this will allow for a pretty custom fit into my trunk with enough room for a few additional customizations for the amp and wiring. i want 2 slot ports (1 on each end of the box) with the sub in the center.

Is this size box going to be an issue? What dimensions should i make my ports?

pro-rabbit Moble Enclosurs Buck Bettr n' Revrse do you guys have any helpful hints on this for me?

BTW i will be building and installing this all tonight after work. regardless of how dark it gets lol. hopefully i can get some good pics posted up.

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
SkarAudio

Kevin if you have any input that would be great as well.

splwj47
06-01-2012, 01:02 PM
I like 23/32" Arauco Plywood (easier to work with and NO MDF BOOGERS!!!).....Since you are building it yourself pvc would probably be easier. You can use free box calculators on the net to figure out box size and port length (Torres Calculator)...Pre-drill your screw holes as to not split the wood and use Titebond glue in the joints. I also like to caulk my boxes after the fact so that the only air that comes out does so at the PORT!!!!!...Oh and I use a pair of DIVIDERS to draw out my circles...It's a tool used in the A/C industry to mark holes in sheet metal..It looks like a GIANT COMPASS!!!!!!.........LOL........GOOD LUCK

quick question, i dont mean to thread jack on this guy but dont see the point in making a new one when there is this one already. is maple good to build boxes? went to pick up birch but it was all way to warped so picked up some maple. lmk thanks.

pro-rabbit Buck RAM_Designs

pro-rabbit
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't suggest using 2 ports as that becomes harder to ensure(do to the narrow port width you will have) the tuning will be accurate. Also, just blindly "tuning" the enclosure with out taking into account the application and desired goals may end up with an enclosure your not 100% happy with.

As for material on building. I stay with MDF and Birch. I use MDF more then anything. I have used MDF for around 14 years for just about every install I have ever done, from personal to SPL to SQ to customer installs. I use birch, but no where near as often. If you don't like getting MDF dust every where..well get a dust collector :suave:

There is a reason MDF is the number 1 used product for enclosures...just sayin

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
I am attempting to tune for a daily driver mostly rock and hip hop with some decaf thrown in. It will be in the trunk of a 2004 grand prix but since I dont generally transport anyone the seats will be folded down 98% of the time. I went with a ~32hz tune because I generally won't hit anything below 26hz.

pro-rabbit
06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think you need to tune that low to be honest.

My wife drove a 2004 GP GT for a while. Nice car over all, they like systems too.

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
that is exactly what i have. how low would you recommend? how would you design something for my application? my only real requirement is that it has to be no larger or smaller the 34x16x16.

i was also thinking of slanting the front of the box to fit further toward the seat back area.

pro-rabbit not sure if its me and my browsers but your pricing page doesnt work on IE9 or Chrome...just a helpful :fyi:

BassMechkanic
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
your box size is close to 4 cubes internal, with port and sub displacements you still can make it a bit smaller, please verify that it will fit thru the trunk opening, many trunks will hold big boxes but getting them in there is a problem

i suggest MDF for your first box, easy to work with and inexpensive. a also dont think 2 ports is a good idea, may be 2 aero ports but a slot port no.
slanting your box is not a bad idea, gain more room and box fit tight into the car, but is a little harder to build,

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 01:50 PM
your box size is close to 4 cubes internal, with port and sub displacements you still can make it a bit smaller, please verify that it will fit thru the trunk opening, many trunks will hold big boxes but getting them in there is a problem

i am 99% it will fit but i will be test fitting before i finalize everything with screws\nail gun and glue. one of the nicest things about this car is that it has a huge notch in the trunk almost everything above the rear bumper is attached to the trunk so all that is left when the trunk is open is the tail light housings. Also i went with no taller than 16" because if need be it will allow me to slide it into the trunk from the back seat hole.

slanting your box is not a bad idea, gain more room and box fit tight into the car, but is a little harder to build, that is what i am going for, along with as custom a look as possible. it wont be getting paint\carpet for awhile but that is only because i have not decided how i want to do it or how i want it to look. if i had the cash i would have someone else wrap it up real nice after i build it but....well we all know how that goes.

pro-rabbit
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
How many 12s are you going to run? I have ran slanted and non slanted and to be honest it made little to no difference. If you make the enclosure shorter to slide further under the rear deck then it will make a little bit of a difference, but to make an angled enclosure for your first attempt at an enclosure may not be the best way to go.

Exist_ential
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
i will only be running the 1 vvx12. if i get another later i will build again lol. i love this hobby. i didnt expect much acoustic difference slanting the box. just makes for a better looking install when you show off your back seat haha. if its that difficult to make a slanted enclosure then i shall wait for another build for that.

pro-rabbit
06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
i will only be running the 1 vvx12. if i get another later i will build again lol. i love this hobby. i didnt expect much acoustic difference slanting the box. just makes for a better looking install when you show off your back seat haha. if its that difficult to make a slanted enclosure then i shall wait for another build for that.

It's not really that hard if you under stand how to create the angles correctly when building.

I'm trying to find pics of when we used a single 12 in Amber's car and had it all flushed out and such..but it may be on another computer... :crap:

CAT MAN
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't suggest using 2 ports as that becomes harder to ensure(do to the narrow port width you will have) the tuning will be accurate. Also, just blindly "tuning" the enclosure with out taking into account the application and desired goals may end up with an enclosure your not 100% happy with.

As for material on building. I stay with MDF and Birch. I use MDF more then anything. I have used MDF for around 14 years for just about every install I have ever done, from personal to SPL to SQ to customer installs. I use birch, but no where near as often. If you don't like getting MDF dust every where..well get a dust collector :suave:

There is a reason MDF is the number 1 used product for enclosures...just sayini couldnt have said it better myself.

Bettr n' Revrse
06-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Sorry I just got to this...