PDA

View Full Version : Proximity alarms

Chaotic_Thought
05-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Just a curios question, but in the forums opinion, how far away are we from having aftermarket proximity alarms? Or is it not a viable option?

I am not talking about proximity sensors to set the alarm off, i am meaning more of proximity alarms so that i do not need to take my keys out of my pocket and the system disarms itself and unlocks the doors?

Similiar to smart keys.

martiandancer31
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
as in, passive keyless entry?

We're already there. Been there since at least the 90's, probably the 80's.

Chaotic_Thought
05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes and no. I mean more along the lines of not needing to touch the key fob. Proximity sensors detect the fob and automatically unlock/lock at a predetermined distance. Also replacing the key ignition with a touch button.

SuperSaeYoung
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes and no. I mean more along the lines of not needing to touch the key fob. Proximity sensors detect the fob and automatically unlock/lock at a predetermined distance. Also replacing the key ignition with a touch button.

The technology is already there. I don't know if there's any aftermarket alarm that sells something like that but you can have a RFID senser and have it relay for the car unlock, and the push start is pretty easy.

Chaotic_Thought
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
The technology is already there. I don't know if there's any aftermarket alarm that sells something like that but you can have a RFID senser and have it relay for the car unlock, and the push start is pretty easy.

Yes i know the technology is there, i just didn't know how viable it would be. I know on older vehicles the push button start would be hard to incorporate due to the key cylinder unlocking the column and such.

martiandancer31
05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
right. That's what i'm saying. PASSIVE keyless entry, ie, you do nothing. My dad has it on his 1995 corvette, and i know it's been on cars before then. As long as he has the key fob in his pocket, as soon as he walks up to the car it unlocks. Impresses the crap out of amish people.