PDA

View Full Version : Slot Ports vs. Aeroports

etm34
05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
So i would like to know what the difference is between slot ports and aeroports. What are their advantages and disadvantages, are the differences between spl and sq between the two, when should you use one over the other, does the car make the difference in using either one. Enlighten me on this topic please!

knotdrummer88
05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
this. Im wondering too

myjaja
05-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Id like to know too. I know that the aero ports are more efficient from what Ive been hearing.

Austin175
05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
There is no difference to me an a freind of mine if your tight on space I say areo's are the way to go if not then either one will work. But I personally like areo's better

fasfocus00
05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
is the search button broken? this has been discussed millions of times on multiple forums

Falcons
05-27-2012, 10:51 PM
im using 8" sonotube ftw!

VisceralSound
05-28-2012, 12:22 AM
im using 8" sonotube ftw!

^this.

RAM_Designs
05-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I prefer slot ports myself. They add bracing to the box and cost virtually nothing.

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 12:32 AM
As far as efficiency goes, I like to think of it like this...how many round drains do you see vs how many not round drains do you see? Its all about fluid dynamics. I have only built 1 slot ported box so I am heavily biased towards round ports. The only time they create a problem is when you try to adapt a large amount of port area to a small volume, this usually happens when dealing with the high output small cone diameter drivers like the sa8 that are increasing in popularity.

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 12:52 AM
As far as efficiency goes, I like to think of it like this...how many round drains do you see vs how many not round drains do you see? Its all about fluid dynamics. I have only built 1 slot ported box so I am heavily biased towards round ports. The only time they create a problem is when you try to adapt a large amount of port area to a small volume, this usually happens when dealing with the high output small cone diameter drivers like the sa8 that are increasing in popularity.

hm. please elaborate, Im not sure i exactly get this. But i want to

Buck
05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Just depends on the application and how much money you want to spend.

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 01:15 AM
hm. please elaborate, Im not sure i exactly get this. But i want to

which part?

SacTownBully84
05-28-2012, 01:33 AM
im very heavily biased to aero ports also....theres super easy to install...easy to tune and if u dont like the sound cut 1" off at a time till u achieve ur desired frequency......if u build a slot and u dont like it well ur pretty screwed cuz its not gonna be easy to modify.....and last i checked this sport is all about trial and error.....very rarely do people reach there goal/goals on there 1st build its all about the "TEST N TUNE"!

SacTownBully84
05-28-2012, 01:36 AM
plus the numbers alone speak for them selves recommended port area for a aero is 7-9 sq.in per cube which is where a slot u need 13+ per.....give or take ur application ....y not save the space and it can be used for increased output

itsblown
05-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Ive always kind of wondered this myself but i feel like the answer to which is better depends on the situation. I agree with kushy dreams thinking of air flows easier through the aero ports but I feel like there would be some cases where you would be better off using normal slot ports do to space like he said.

It would be interesting to see how a slot port box of the same volume and port length did agaisnt a slot ported box of the same volume and port length in the same environment

Hintzyboy
05-28-2012, 03:12 AM
It depends on how much port area you need, what the net volume of the enclosure needs to be, what tuning you want, how much trunk space you have, etc.

Slot ports are better for large enclosures. Let's say you're building a box for 2 12s and you want 24 sq in of port area. You can either use 2 4" aeros or a 2 in wide slot port. Since you'll have already bought MDF to build the enclosure and large enclosures don't require much for port length, you'll likely have enough extra MDF to make the slot port (so you basically get the port for free). Or you could by a pair of 4" aeros for around the same price as a full sheet of MDF. Slot ports take a bit of extra work and calculation, but for a large enclosure, the cost savings are definitely worth it.

Aeroports are better suited to small enclosures. Let's say you're building a .5 cu ft (net) enclosure for a single 8" woofer. Since the height of a slot port is dictated by the height of the box, the port area is going to be larger than may be necessary for a small sub (an 8"x1.5" slot port has almost twice the area of a 3" aero). More port area means a longer port length fore the same tuning. A smaller enclosure means more port length for the same tuning. Using a slot port in a small, low-tuned box is going to require a very long port. The mdf used for a slot port also takes up airspace. All of this means that the slot port is going to increase the overall volume of the enclosure by quite a bit, defeating the purpose of buying a small sub suited for small volume. You're also not going to see the same cost savings. A slot port in a small enclosure is going to require a lot more mdf, which will likely mean you have to buy a full sheet. With an aero port, you can use a half sheet, which balances the cost of the port while keeping the overall enclosure dimensions nice and small.

Aeros also have the advantage of ease of use. You just have to cut a hole and mount vs. measuring, cutting, and glueing/screwing in the boards for a slot port. You can also adjust the tuning without ripping the box apart or building a new one.

subzero
05-28-2012, 03:20 AM
is the search button broken? this has been discussed millions of times on multiple forums
Yea, and in that search you find many bullshit refferences that slow down your search, if your lucky, you can find exactly what you want or bits and pieces. but why do all that, when you can just post a new thread and get a simple answer

It depends on how much port area you need, what the net volume of the enclosure needs to be, what tuning you want, how much trunk space you have, etc.

Slot ports are better for large enclosures. Let's say you're building a box for 2 12s and you want 24 sq in of port area. You can either use 2 4" aeros or a 2 in wide slot port. Since you'll have already bought MDF to build the enclosure and large enclosures don't require much for port length, you'll likely have enough extra MDF to make the slot port (so you basically get the port for free). Or you could by a pair of 4" aeros for around the same price as a full sheet of MDF. Slot ports take a bit of extra work and calculation, but for a large enclosure, the cost savings are definitely worth it.

Aeroports are better suited to small enclosures. Let's say you're building a .5 cu ft (net) enclosure for a single 8" woofer. Since the height of a slot port is dictated by the height of the box, the port area is going to be larger than may be necessary for a small sub (an 8"x1.5" slot port has almost twice the area of a 3" aero). More port area means a longer port length fore the same tuning. A smaller enclosure means more port length for the same tuning. Using a slot port in a small, low-tuned box is going to require a very long port. The mdf used for a slot port also takes up airspace. All of this means that the slot port is going to increase the overall volume of the enclosure by quite a bit, defeating the purpose of buying a small sub suited for small volume. You're also not going to see the same cost savings. A slot port in a small enclosure is going to require a lot more mdf, which will likely mean you have to buy a full sheet. With an aero port, you can use a half sheet, which balances the cost of the port while keeping the overall enclosure dimensions nice and small.

Aeros also have the advantage of ease of use. You just have to cut a hole and mount vs. measuring, cutting, and glueing/screwing in the boards for a slot port. You can also adjust the tuning without ripping the box apart or building a new one.

I haz swappable slot ports.....

RAM_Designs
05-28-2012, 03:25 AM

I have to disagree completely on the ease of use with smaller volume boxes. With a .5ft^3 box tuned to 35hz, a 3" aero is going to need to be 30" long. Have fun buying elbows and more PVC to fit that inside a box or you can have an ugly external aero hanging out of the box, taking up a lot of space. With a slot, you can easily follow the outside of the box and get the port length needed. Also, using a 3" aero that has a ~4.5" diameter flare is going to require a decent sized box just to make sure you have enough clearance with the port/sub being so close. With that 30" custom aero, it's doubtful you can even fit it inside a box(depending on the sub/port orientation that you needed to do) and still keep your .5ft^3 net volume that you'd be after.

Basically, with a smaller box you're going to need a longer port. And using a smaller volume while trying to tune any lower than 35hz with aeros is going to require you to make them a custom length, which adds to the cost as well. It would be much easier to use an aeroport on a lower power, more efficient setup that utilizes a larger than normal box volume. That way you could rely on a shorter port length and not have to worry as much about internal clearances.

Hintzyboy
05-28-2012, 03:26 AM
I haz swappable slot ports.....

Pics? Obviously that's possible, but it sounds like quite a bit of extra work to do, and I can't picture how you would do it if you had a smaller box (i.e. for a large box you can have shorter lengths, so you don't have to worry about bends in the port).

subzero
05-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Pics? Obviously that's possible, but it sounds like quite a bit of extra work to do, and I can't picture how you would do it if you had a smaller box (i.e. for a large box you can have shorter lengths, so you don't have to worry about bends in the port).

have to find one or take one and post it. Common idea is to build for the highest tunning say for burp boxes, and build port inserts for lower tunnings. Moble and Ram designed some for me that worked out well.

Hintzyboy
05-28-2012, 04:15 AM
I have to disagree completely on the ease of use with smaller volume boxes. With a .5ft^3 box tuned to 35hz, a 3" aero is going to need to be 30" long. Have fun buying elbows and more PVC to fit that inside a box or you can have an ugly external aero hanging out of the box, taking up a lot of space. With a slot, you can easily follow the outside of the box and get the port length needed. Also, using a 3" aero that has a ~4.5" diameter flare is going to require a decent sized box just to make sure you have enough clearance with the port/sub being so close. With that 30" custom aero, it's doubtful you can even fit it inside a box(depending on the sub/port orientation that you needed to do) and still keep your .5ft^3 net volume that you'd be after.

Basically, with a smaller box you're going to need a longer port. And using a smaller volume while trying to tune any lower than 35hz with aeros is going to require you to make them a custom length, which adds to the cost as well. It would be much easier to use an aeroport on a lower power, more efficient setup that utilizes a larger than normal box volume. That way you could rely on a shorter port length and not have to worry as much about internal clearances.

Fair enough. I was just throwing numbers out there. And it really depends on what kind of vehicle it's going in. For example, my Mazda3 hatch allows for a 41" wide enclosure. If I go with an enclosure that's 38w x 9t x 6d, I get ~.56 cubes and I need a 25.6" aero for 35hz. I lose 6" of cargo space, which I can deal with, and I don't have to worry about any bends in the port. Or I could have a 7.5 x 1.5 slot port, which would require more than 40" of port length, would require bends in the port, and would take away more cargo space.

Hintzyboy
05-28-2012, 04:18 AM
have to find one or take one and post it. Common idea is to build for the highest tunning say for burp boxes, and build port inserts for lower tunnings. Moble and Ram designed some for me that worked out well.

Gotcha. Like I said, makes more sense for larger systems. If you're dealing with a smaller enclosure in a daily driver, it becomes less practical.

Bettr n' Revrse
05-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I preffer aeros as well...

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
which part?

large port area vs small volume

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 03:56 PM
large port area vs small volume

Go look up the necessary length for a 4inch aero coupled to .75 cu/ft to give tuning of 33hz. You will need 39 1/2 inches of length. Yes there are some people that can make that work, but for the majority of people out there, that is just not feasible. Say you want even better low end extension and want a 30hz tune, the required port length just went up to 48 1/4 inches. Do you get it now?

By comparison the 4cu/ft box with a 6in pvc port that I'm running now has a 14.5 inch long port that yields a tune of 31.75hz.

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Go look up the necessary length for a 4inch aero coupled to .75 cu/ft to give tuning of 33hz. You will need 39 1/2 inches of length. Yes there are some people that can make that work, but for the majority of people out there, that is just not feasible. Say you want even better low end extension and want a 30hz tune, the required port length just went up to 48 1/4 inches. Do you get it now?

By comparison the 4cu/ft box with a 6in pvc port that I'm running now has a 14.5 inch long port that yields a tune of 31.75hz.

Hm. I think i know what your saying, but I don't quit understand why that happens. If that makes any sense, or maybe I just don't get it at all..hmm...

Falcons
05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm building a box right now just to see how te aeros will work. I'm using an 8" sonotube resined on the inside in a 4 cf box. It is going to be half internal half external. I'll be testing on 600 watts on Wednesday. I'll report back which I like more.

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Hm. I think i know what your saying, but I don't quit understand why that happens. If that makes any sense, or maybe I just don't get it at all..hmm...

Its very simple, the more port area per cu/ft the longer the port needs to be. A 4in round port has 12.56 sq in of area, now divide that by the volume of the box, .75 and you have 16.74666 square inches of port per 1 cubic foot of air displacement. Now compare it to the other box with a 6inch port, or 28.274 sq inches of port area with 4 cu/ft of box volume and you have 7.068 sq/inches of port area per 1 cubic ft of airspace.

Now back to the slot vs aero comparison- just google why pipes are round and not other shapes, it is because they flow the most efficient under PRESSURE.

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Its very simple, the more port area per cu/ft the longer the port needs to be. A 4in round port has 12.56 sq in of area, now divide that by the volume of the box, .75 and you have 16.74666 square inches of port per 1 cubic foot of air displacement. Now compare it to the other box with a 6inch port, or 28.274 sq inches of port area with 4 cu/ft of box volume and you have 7.068 sq/inches of port area per 1 cubic ft of airspace.

Now back to the slot vs aero comparison- just google why pipes are round and not other shapes, it is because they flow the most efficient under PRESSURE.

ahhh. ok. hm....maybe I should look into some aeros or what about kerfed ports? I mean, is thats still better than just a regular slot port right? in terms of least resistance to air flow?

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm building a box right now just to see how te aeros will work. I'm using an 8" sonotube resined on the inside in a 4 cf box. It is going to be half internal half external. I'll be testing on 600 watts on Wednesday. I'll report back which I like more.

You aren't using an aero, you are using a plain round port. True aero ports have flared mouths.

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
ahhh. ok. hm....maybe I should look into some aeros or what about kerfed ports? I mean, is thats still better than just a regular slot port right? in terms of least resistance to air flow?

Kerfs are definitely a step in the right direction, but it all goes back to my pipe theory and that is pipes are round for a reason. Round ports work well up to a certain amount of square inches of opening per cubic feet, after that the necessary length becomes unfeasible for the build. Someone earlier touched on this, but it was worded sort of differently.

Kangaroux
05-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I prefer slots...some people think they are bad to use when you wanna do tuning and cut down on the port, but it's not hard at all if you just make it removable (which is very easy to do). I tried out an aero port on my box because I had never used one before but I wish I would have done a slot port instead. Plus, with a slot port it's very easy to adjust port area. With aero ports if you wanna fine tune it you are pretty much stuck with adding a lot of smaller ports to achieve your desired sound (i.e. to get somewhere between 6" and 8" you need 3x 4" ports which is costly).

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Kerfs are definitely a step in the right direction, but it all goes back to my pipe theory and that is pipes are round for a reason. Round ports work well up to a certain amount of square inches of opening per cubic feet, after that the necessary length becomes unfeasible for the build. Someone earlier touched on this, but it was worded sort of differently.

ok, well if i did a kerfed port how do you calculate the curved part when trying to figure out dimensions and tuning and stuff? like, where with a slot port its just straight forward, but how would you figure the tuning with a kerfed port?

Falcons
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
You aren't using an aero, you are using a plain round port. True aero ports have flared mouths.

Yeah I know but it's the same concept.

RAM_Designs
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
ok, well if i did a kerfed port how do you calculate the curved part when trying to figure out dimensions and tuning and stuff? like, where with a slot port its just straight forward, but how would you figure the tuning with a kerfed port?

Stop measuring length half-way down the curved section, and you're good to go.

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Honestly I have no clue, never done a kerf port

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Stop measuring length half-way down the curved section, and you're good to go.

so you wouldn't measure the length all the way to end of the opening?

Moble Enclosurs
05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
To me, the main limitation of the aeroport is that it allows for less control of the output. When I mean control, I mean the group delay, excursion, etc. Aeroports are great for SPL designs where compression is the key, but for musical output, slot ports can be manipulated much more easily to obtain a certain response curve. Aeros are great, and if the output matches that of a slot, the audible differences can be tough to point out at times, and for those who do not care to notice those differences, it then becomes more of a personal preference and involving physical limitations that need to be accounted for more so than the acoustical control. I prefer slot ports for that reason mainly. I might write up a blog about this in detail with all of the advantages/disadvantages of each including some that people do not notice to the ear.

Moble Enclosurs
05-28-2012, 08:46 PM

As far as tuning goes, normally it depends on the expansion rate and cutoff frequency. The cutoff can be determined by adding the lengths on all sides together and using the distance-frequency formula to get cutoff. You can effectively use the quarter wave cutoff for subwoofer use.

Length is determined by the entire length of the kerf with the port because every inch of it makes a difference. By stoping halfway down, you eliminate the accuracy of the cutoff at full flare and regard the effects it causes on the response. You have to use the entire length and account for the opening at the end of the port. If you stop halfway, you increase the cutoff frequency and cause inaccurate response curves to be calculated.

Tuning can be a figured mean of the constant length into the cutoff frequency. So, a port that is tuned to say 30Hz may be tuned to 27-28Hz with an added flare with a cutoff of about 70Hz quarter wave. The calculations involved in this are too complex to write down and explain here.

Moble Enclosurs
05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
As far as tuning goes, normally it depends on the expansion rate and cutoff frequency. The cutoff can be determined by adding the lengths on all sides together and using the distance-frequency formula to get cutoff. You can effectively use the quarter wave cutoff for subwoofer use.

Length is determined by the entire length of the kerf with the port because every inch of it makes a difference. By stoping halfway down, you eliminate the accuracy of the cutoff at full flare and regard the effects it causes on the response. You have to use the entire length and account for the opening at the end of the port. If you stop halfway, you increase the cutoff frequency and cause inaccurate response curves to be calculated.

Tuning can be a figured mean of the constant length into the cutoff frequency. So, a port that is tuned to say 30Hz may be tuned to 27-28Hz with an added flare with a cutoff of about 70Hz quarter wave. The calculations involved in this are too complex to write down and explain here.

And the differences with the size kerfs we use may not be as important as you may think when the box is then loaded into a vehicle where gain takes control of those changes and changes everything again lol

Boomsday
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
If you ballin you have aeros

wenn_du_weinst
05-28-2012, 09:03 PM
have you never looked at a gutter?

kushy_dreams
05-28-2012, 10:16 PM
have you never looked at a gutter?

gutters arent pressurized

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 10:23 PM
And the differences with the size kerfs we use may not be as important as you may think when the box is then loaded into a vehicle where gain takes control of those changes and changes everything again lol

I WANT to understand this! ahhhh

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

well the whole thing, I meant to quote the entire post

2RZ-FE
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM

I'm building a box like this. Can you help me understand why i can't do like a 2" x 12.35" port instead of the 3" x 30"?

Moble Enclosurs
05-28-2012, 10:56 PM

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

well the whole thing, I meant to quote the entire post

Ill write a blog. lol. It will be linked to my Facebook by the end of the week. :D

knotdrummer88
05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Ill write a blog. lol. It will be linked to my Facebook by the end of the week. :D

nice. I will definitely be doing some studying this week!

etm34
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I might write up a blog about this in detail with all of the advantages/disadvantages of each including some that people do not notice to the ear.
please do this, i would love to read up on it. along with the kerfed ports included in on this, i wish i could just build like 3 boxes and compare, need the monies though

Moble Enclosurs
05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
please do this, i would love to read up on it. along with the kerfed ports included in on this, i wish i could just build like 3 boxes and compare, need the monies though

If I don't have it done by the end of Sat, someone PM me and get on me lol. I won't include specific design information, but I will give general comparisons of advantages/disadvantages. I may include kerfs also :D. Gonna be a long blog I imagine!

dbeez
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
This whole debate is so situationally dependant each has their place each do very well in some cases the slot box takes up no more room than an Aero box.

mazdakid
05-29-2012, 08:41 PM
An aeroport with the same port area as a slot port and same tuning should be a smaller box.

dbeez
05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
An aeroport with the same port area as a slot port and same tuning should be a smaller box.
same port area yes however my 4-8' aeros in my box took up the same amount of space as my new box difference in port area is huge and the slot is much more efficient so their are mjor limitations to the aeros just situation dependant.

2RZ-FE
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
How would you guys port a wedge shaped truck box for two 8's that is 12" H x 46" L x 4" top x 7.5" bottom outside dimensions using 1/2" mdf? I can only go with ports on the outside due to them taking up airspace otherwise. Not sure how to port this box. It's divided also so i need a port for each sub. Have about 12" above the top of the box before i hit the rear slider.

RangerDangerV2
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
How would you guys port a wedge shaped truck box for two 8's that is 12" H x 46" L x 4" top x 7.5" bottom outside dimensions using 1/2" mdf? I can only go with ports on the outside due to them taking up airspace otherwise. Not sure how to port this box. It's divided also so i need a port for each sub. Have about 12" above the top of the box before i hit the rear slider.

1st off use 3/4 inch mdf then you will have to use external aero ports for you box.

Buck
05-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Not really. The port is still going to be the same length. It won't be THAT much of a difference.

etm34
06-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Get the blogpost done? Moble Enclosurs

Moble Enclosurs
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Get the blogpost done? Moble Enclosurs

Yes, sorry I didn't post it yet. This is not meant to be insructional by the way, it is meant as a non-biased opinion and the choice of using either round, slot, or square ports are up the the design limitations, capabilities, and personal preferences of the request. But hopefully it helps a little bit on what I think of each to determine what may work best for you.
The responses I may get from this will either be positive or negative, but I appreciate both just for everyones information. If you feel different than I do on this, feel free to reply to me in email or PM about why you feel that way, or if you have any questions regarding what I have mentioned in the blog.
Remember, it is a blog, and blogs are based mainly on opinion, and from my professional experience of design, my opinion of this should be respected even if different cases have been proven or go against what I have mentioned. Because, the reason they may differ is due to the design and how it relates to the environment and the accuracy of it when calculated, so in reality, the choice is still always your own.

The main point is about limitations and how they can help you decide, if at all, on any of the choices you have, more than saying one is better than the other in acoustics. In pure calculation, differences can and are almost always minor as some may agree. So, don't take the blog the wrong way. And if you do, to bad. :D

Slot port or Aero port? Which should I use??? (http://slotvsround.blogspot.com/)