PDA

View Full Version : should i go ported or sealed?

Burnboy
03-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Ive got 2 15'' d2's and about 7 cubes to work with if that. Should I port it or just go ahead and seal it off? Im running a jbl 1200.1 to them and its in a hatchback. I want all the spl I can get.

Logikalliquid
03-25-2004, 03:48 PM
spl + enough space = ported

Burnboy
03-26-2004, 12:02 PM
ok that equation doesnt make sense

ShizzA1
03-26-2004, 06:52 PM
what are you talking about??? It makes perfect sense... Ported enclosures typically require alot more room and produce much more SPL when you're on a budget so, if you have the space go ported, if not, go sealed.. the sealed specs im sure will be atleast .75 cubs smaller then the ported box but you wont get as much spl.... wash rinse repeat....

Burnboy
03-26-2004, 06:57 PM
so it should be enough space +ported =spl? plus my question was if the drivers would bo ok in a ported box that small

ShizzA1
03-26-2004, 09:21 PM
more or less... yes....... if you have alot of space to meet requirments for 2 ported enclosures for a 15in driver ported will give more... sealed will use less space but sound much better ie SQ.. not as "loud" as ported but will have better sq.. there's gives and takes in enclosures.....

Burnboy
03-26-2004, 10:10 PM
i know that, im not a retard im asking if these individual drivers can work effectively in a ported enclosure that small. They require a bit more space but im asking if they will still work in something that small, get it?

pj2003
03-26-2004, 10:12 PM
that jbl amp doesnt have a ssf so u might just have to go sealed no matter what.

Gauntlet
03-26-2004, 11:10 PM
7 cubes should be fine for those in a ported enclosure.

And no, you don't have to go to sealed just because the 1200.1 doesnt have a subsonic filter, you can get an FMOD to block out the low frequencies.

WarDrumz
03-27-2004, 04:22 AM
more or less... yes....... if you have alot of space to meet requirments for 2 ported enclosures for a 15in driver ported will give more... sealed will use less space but sound much better ie SQ.. not as "loud" as ported but will have better sq.. there's gives and takes in enclosures.....

Not AGAIN!

Another sealed vs. vented blanket statement. Sealed will Somehow AUTOMATICALLY sound better than a vented.

What if the sealed box is too big, and the vented box is optimum?

What happens to the low-end output if the sealed is too small, and the vented is optimum AND tuned low?

Common answers? Yes. Sealed will NOT sound better than the vented.

Now...If both sealed and vented were optimum, and the vented was tuned low (24-28hz), I don't know. Different ballgame.

I'm not tryin ta b!tch or anything, I just hate blanket statements like that.

Holla.

woofer
03-27-2004, 06:50 AM
i love big speakers

ShizzA1
03-27-2004, 11:07 AM
if you ain't tryin' to ***** why open your mouth??

WarDrumz
03-27-2004, 03:01 PM
if you ain't tryin' to ***** why open your mouth??

Bcuz your statement was misleading.

And depending on how much knowledge the guy you gave "advice" to has, he could be misled, thinking that sealed will always sound better with his driver. Which is NOT ALWAYS the case. Therefore sealed does not automatically "sound much better"... in your words.

I'm not a moderator, and I'm not trying to be a KNOW-it-ALL, bcuz I don't know it all. But I do know that was a false blanket statement.

Your not 100% wrong, your just not 100% right.

Peace out.

Burnboy
03-27-2004, 07:17 PM
I dont care how it will sound i just want it loud! I want o make sure these drivers will be louder ported than sealed even with such a small ported box.