PDA

View Full Version : Building a box, Slot vs Aero?

adjetta
05-25-2012, 06:14 PM
ok so I have this 15 inch hcca, in a pre-fab 4 cube vented enclosure, its weak sauce.
I had 2 15 inch l7's in 7.6 cubes with an 8inch aero tuned @ 29 hz, it was straight nasty.
So I need to bring the nastiness back with this box I'm getting prepared to build.

Now what I need from you is input, and guidance. I'm either doing a slot or an aero, but am leaning towards slot due to flares larger than 6 inches being hard to come by. What would give me better lows/pressure, I'm working with a trunk with fold down seats.

Another question I have is what are some different options for slot porting, I really am coming up with blanks, and google has been unfruitful.

Moble Enclosurs
05-25-2012, 09:24 PM
hey man! As far as slot vs aero, the differences in the actual output depend too much on the physical form of the design to give a direct answer to what may work best. And calculators and programs do not account for those types of changes. The main differences between a slot and an aero port are the limitations that exist with each and the type of output you are looking for. The slot port will give you MUCH more options with less hassle when you compare the gains/losses you get from it vs an aero. But the aeroport can keep the pressure up much easier than a slot port if the ratio of the slot port is further away from a square or a 1:1 H*W ratio. So, if you were to use a slot, keep the design low profile and make the slot as square as possible and utilize as much floor space as possible to gain volume if needed.

As far as layouts, this is also design dependent as changing small things in certain designs can make or break the output so it really needs to be carefully calculated to get the most out of it.

Now regarding pressure, this is something I have written a small blog about linked on my FB page about how to accomplish hair tricks and what not, but the most important thing to gather out of that is the differences between an audible output or environmental pressure and the balance between the two will usually result in the best output for most listeners regardless of tuning factors.
Hope that helps :D

adjetta
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
thanks for the good info, I'm wanting a pretty low tuning, so a large square port would work about as good as an aero for keeping up cabin pressure?

dbeez
05-25-2012, 10:11 PM
i have some 8' aeros i may sell

dbeez
05-25-2012, 10:12 PM

CAT MAN
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM

ill take them. aeros are better in trunk walls IMO.

CAT MAN
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM

des343
05-25-2012, 10:31 PM
hey man! As far as slot vs aero, the differences in the actual output depend too much on the physical form of the design to give a direct answer to what may work best. And calculators and programs do not account for those types of changes. The main differences between a slot and an aero port are the limitations that exist with each and the type of output you are looking for. The slot port will give you MUCH more options with less hassle when you compare the gains/losses you get from it vs an aero. But the aeroport can keep the pressure up much easier than a slot port if the ratio of the slot port is further away from a square or a 1:1 H*W ratio. So, if you were to use a slot, keep the design low profile and make the slot as square as possible and utilize as much floor space as possible to gain volume if needed.

As far as layouts, this is also design dependent as changing small things in certain designs can make or break the output so it really needs to be carefully calculated to get the most out of it.

Now regarding pressure, this is something I have written a small blog about linked on my FB page about how to accomplish hair tricks and what not, but the most important thing to gather out of that is the differences between an audible output or environmental pressure and the balance between the two will usually result in the best output for most listeners regardless of tuning factors.
I wish i could take what you just said and use it im certainly not a slow or stupid person but man something about the whole box and tuning and PORTS and box rise for ohm load and all that is so hard for me to grasp and make sense of ive read a ton and wind up with more questions than answers :/

des343

I wish i could take what you just said and use it im certainly not a slow or stupid person but man something about the whole box and tuning and PORTS and box rise for ohm load and all that is so hard for me to grasp and make sense of ive read a ton and wind up with more questions than answers :/

adjetta
PM'ed Dbeez

wenn_du_weinst
05-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I really don't see much advantage to round ports over square if both are straight runs. I think most of aero gains are because the ports don't usually have corners.

wenn_du_weinst
05-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I really don't see much advantage to round ports over square if both are straight runs. I think most of aero gains are because the ports don't usually have corners.

dbeez
05-25-2012, 10:48 PM

i have a mold to make flares and couplers will start making them sometime when i can free up some time to stock up some.

dbeez
05-25-2012, 10:48 PM

i have a mold to make flares and couplers will start making them sometime when i can free up some time to stock up some.

Moble Enclosurs
05-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Yea, this is true, and for that specific reason also. Much like the compression in any opening whether port or window, or sunroof, door, etc, the higher pressure resides around the edges and the corners, so by using an aero, you get a smoother flow at some frequencies around tuning and if the phase is good, you get some **** decent pressure from the aeros. Which is why I also agree with the trunk wall quote as well. These can do some damage when used with bandpass designs too.

Moble Enclosurs
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM

More questions can be a great thing though. It ends up giving you more answers in the long run :D.

Moble Enclosurs
05-25-2012, 10:54 PM

More questions can be a great thing though. It ends up giving you more answers in the long run :D.

Moble Enclosurs
05-25-2012, 11:07 PM

More questions lead to more answers :D so that can be a good thing. The thing about designing is it involves more than just tuning, xmax, volume, power, etc. It is acoustical, physics, psychoacoustics, environmental, etc. Everything is a factor really. So, learning it quick and learning it proper are complete opposites, just for a thought. Expect it to take years to get a great idea on what goes on with box design and months to get a good idea of the generalization of physical to audible changes and effect without the in depth knowledge of "why", and only understanding the "what". This is what most designers rely on. They know that a bigger port can cause higher tuning and potential for higher output, but they only tend to focus on the what, which means they know to make the port smaller to lower tuning and efficiency and don't realize that it is not always a parallel difference to the physical changes that occur from what you actually hear or experience audibly. So, focus needs to be on those types of changes rather than just making it happen and not knowing why, just knowing it does. This can cause problems, some that I have seen from other designers in the past, that break up their reputation a bit.
So, be fully involved in the changes that happen and understand why, when you do start to get it, and it will be much easier to account for different design style layouts and how to make them better in all aspects of the design.