PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for my first box

moparerrnocar
05-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I got 97 2dr grand prix that I'd like to build a box to house two 12" type R's wired to an MBQ discus 1500 @ 1ohm. Being that this is my first enclosure Idk what I want exactly. I've done research and it seems everyone likes to rune 12" R's between 4-4.5 @ 32-34 hz except "mobile enclosures", he suggested 3.8 @ 40. I'm a lil unsure since I'm inexperienced and my trunk opening isnt too big. My only box has been a prefab thats 36x13x16 w/ 3x11.5x12.25 cnt slot. Now the only dim that can change really is the depth (16) cuz its snug. I could go 14 tall but 36 is max, and I dont think I can go much deeper than 22.

I mostly listen to tech n9ne, but Idk what freq his beats are. Idk if I should go round port for my first box so I have an adjustable tune to find my liking. Nor do I know what way the port/driver should face. I've been told rear/rear but I have a 15x9 pass through in my seat that might be useful. My other Q is, will 1" be necessary or will .75 w/ bracing be fine, cuz weight is a concern?

Thanks

Phoenix Risen
05-20-2012, 07:51 AM
you could always go with a quasi 10th order,

it will make those 2 R's sound like 10 18's if its done right.

but really, a ported box 4 cubes net tuned at 32-35 with about 45-50 square inches of port should do pretty well.

moparerrnocar
05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Idk, that sounds really complicated for my first box. I had planned on a regular round/slot/L port but, 10 18's would be bada$$ :).

So whats a 10th order?

Phoenix Risen
05-20-2012, 08:27 AM
sorry that was actually a partial troll, if you highlight that text (and a bit under it) you will see the real answer,

a quasi 10th order would take up more space than you have in your entire car...

TaylorFade
05-20-2012, 08:31 AM
you could always go with a quasi 10th order,

it will make those 2 R's sound like 10 18's if its done right.

but really, a ported box 4 cubes net tuned at 32-35 with about 45-50 square inches of port should do pretty well.

Lol. Quasi 10th FTW!!

If your seats don't fold down, it doesn't matter a ton how you face them, but I'd still do subs up, port to the side.

moparerrnocar
05-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Lol. Quasi 10th FTW!!

If your seats don't fold down, it doesn't matter a ton how you face them, but I'd still do subs up, port to the side.

I read somewhere that facing the subs up causes really bad trunk rattle. Is this true? Cuz I already have horrid rattle w/ rear facing sub/port as it is. Also I dont have the option for a side port since Id like the box to sit snuggly between the shock towers and as far forward as possible.

moparerrnocar
05-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Anyone care to take me seriously?

subzero
05-22-2012, 06:51 AM
I got 97 2dr grand prix that I'd like to build a box to house two 12" type R's wired to an MBQ discus 1500 @ 1ohm. Being that this is my first enclosure Idk what I want exactly. I've done research and it seems everyone likes to rune 12" R's between 4-4.5 @ 32-34 hz except "mobile enclosures", he suggested 3.8 @ 40. I'm a lil unsure since I'm inexperienced and my trunk opening isnt too big. My only box has been a prefab thats 36x13x16 w/ 3x11.5x12.25 cnt slot. Now the only dim that can change really is the depth (16) cuz its snug. I could go 14 tall but 36 is max, and I dont think I can go much deeper than 22.

I mostly listen to tech n9ne, but Idk what freq his beats are. Idk if I should go round port for my first box so I have an adjustable tune to find my liking. Nor do I know what way the port/driver should face. I've been told rear/rear but I have a 15x9 pass through in my seat that might be useful. My other Q is, will 1" be necessary or will .75 w/ bracing be fine, cuz weight is a concern?

Thanks

34*14*18 4 inch port tuned to 36hz. about 3cubes. Just add power.

moparerrnocar
05-23-2012, 02:09 AM
34*14*18 4 inch port tuned to 36hz. about 3cubes. Just add power.

Lol 3 cubes is smaller than most/all prefabs... Fyi 34x14x16 = 3.8...

Anyone??? Are yall a bunch of Tech n9ne / type R haters err what? Damm ...

subzero
05-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Lol 3 cubes is smaller than most/all prefabs... Fyi 34x14x16 = 3.8...

Anyone??? Are yall a bunch of Tech n9ne / type R haters err what? Damm ...

I said just add power... If you dont have the room then you can use smaller box and more clean power. I used to run a complete ALPINE R setup. I dont hate.

Back in the days, people ran 100rms subs in large boxes to help efficency. These days it is the opposite. I run two 12's in 1 cube each ported on 4k rms.... Anyways. Take it or leave it. there is a whole thread with hundreds of box designs to choose from since you wont take my advice.

subzero
05-23-2012, 02:41 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/137804-free-box-plans.html

moparerrnocar
05-23-2012, 03:32 AM
I said just add power... If you dont have the room then you can use smaller box and more clean power. I used to run a complete ALPINE R setup. I dont hate.

Back in the days, people ran 100rms subs in large boxes to help efficency. These days it is the opposite. I run two 12's in 1 cube each ported on 4k rms.... Anyways. Take it or leave it. there is a whole thread with hundreds of box designs to choose from since you wont take my advice.

I appreciate the effort to help, just seemed like you threw some numbers w/o taking the time to calculate. I have "decent" room and very clean power. I could fit 5 cubes if I wanted. Also I didn't mean you where hate'n, just the other 280 people lol. Some like to call em hype R's. I just figured there would be more replys by now. I guess it could be the title.

subzero
05-23-2012, 03:47 AM
I appreciate the effort to help, just seemed like you threw some numbers w/o taking the time to calculate. I have "decent" room and very clean power. I could fit 5 cubes if I wanted. Also I didn't mean you where hate'n, just the other 280 people lol. Some like to call em hype R's. I just figured there would be more replys by now. I guess it could be the title.

You have to wiegh pros and cons and what is realistically feesable. Can you build a 5 cube box and get it in and out of the car? If you can then do it. Or Pay a professional like Moble Enclosures, Ram Designs or Buck or many others here to design one with your car and equipment in mind according to your taste.

I have used all of their plans and they all worked well, I am an avid SPL competitor. Hit them up and enjoy your bass now instead of waiting around for a miricle post.