PDA

View Full Version : O/S Bass Head - Hello!

Darkrider
05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
WALL OF TEXT:

I'm an old school bass head that is somewhat trying to reform (married with kids now). I've been reading a lot of car audio forums lately because I was bitten by the bug again. I decided to run all Rockford Fosgate Power Series because this car and audio is like a dream system for me. I went with RF Power Series because I'm not interested in perfect accuracy and like my audio to be "colored" a bit to my liking.

I have a crazy history with car audio. My memory on everything isn't perfect, but here goes:

1993 - I started off with 2 x Legacy 12's and a Pyramid Blue Series 300 watt amp. I was driving a 1985 Chevy Celebrity with a Kenwood tape deck. Everything was second hand, except my box. I built my box out of PLYWOOD. Yeah, seriously. Plywood. I had a friend that was well-to-do and a big car audio buff and he was astounded when he heard it. He said I must have been lucky and created a perfect box for those subs. They moved soo much air that in the back seat, it would blow out a cigarette lighter (it did not have folding seats). I added an electronic crossover to it later and it pounded even harder.

Second system was basically the same subs and amp (Legacy/Pyramid) but I added my first CD player - a super sweet Toshiba with detachable face! This super awesome system was hooked up in a 1991 Isuzu Rodeo. Rodeo came from factory with no radio - so when my dad bought it, he had the dealership install a stereo. They had a Kenwood tape deck, Fultron 4" speakers up front, and Audiovox 6.5's in the tailgate. I replaced the deck, disconnected the 6.5's and added some pyramid 6x9's along with my subs and amp. This was my car from 1994-1995 when I totaled it for the second time.

After selling the Rodeo for parts in 1995, I bought a 1984 S-10 standard cab from a friend. He left in the A/D/S 4 x 6 components he had in the dash and a set of Pioneer 10's in a custom built box behind the bench seat. I had an Alpine 3554 powering it all. I really miss those A/D/S 4x6's. They were incredible.

Next up in 1998 - I purchased a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo. I love Rodeos. Cut the 10" holes out to 12" in the truck box and put 2 x Pioneer 12's in it. LOL at air space requirements. I got an Alpine 3566 (still have this) to power everything. Started off with a Pioneer Head.

This system constantly evolved as I got a job working for a PAWN SHOP doing car stereo installs. Yeah, a pawn shop that did car stereo installs. I had made a name for myself locally by making crap equipment sound ok, so they brought me in to fix electronics and install / sell car stereo. I was putting myself through school and working 4 jobs (yes, 4). Through the pawn shop, I ended up with 2 x SoundStream SPL-15's, a US Amps VLX-25, an Eclipse 5303R, Alpine 3527S, and a Clarion 920EQ. That system was pretty darn awesome for the time. After doing installs for about a year, 1 of the 2 local audio shops tried to hire me on full-time as an installer for them. They had seen my work and seemed to like what I was doing. Either that, or they were trying to take out some of the competition. After finishing school, I quit all those jobs and got a job as a cable TV installer.

Not much room in a cable truck for car stereo, so I stored the 15's, 3527S, and US Amp away and got my Alpine 3566 back out and hooked it up to a Jensen 10" single bandpass. I blew 2 of those subs while doing cable work.

In 2002, I traded in that old 1994 Rodeo on a 2002 Rodeo. I built a new down-firing box for the 15's and everything went into the Rodeo. I bought a new Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP CD player to replace the Eclipse (I wanted MP3's). This system was pretty awesome. I ended up selling the Rodeo when my wife got pregnant because I was worried that it might break down on her with it's high mileage (1.5K miles....). That was really stupid in hindsight. That was a great vehicle. The couple I sold it to was buying it for their 16 year old. It was a pretty nice Rodeo - Black, grey interior, limited edition Chrome package (18" chrome wheels, step bars, tail light bezels). When they told me they were buying it for their 16 year old, I decided to give them the entire stereo system for free. I just thought to myself how awesome it would have been to have something like that when I was 16. I think I miss the 920EQ the most.

So now, after years of dealing with the BOSE system in my 2004 Avalanche (replaced stock BOSE amp with upgraded Cadillac Escalade BOSE amp), I got a 2010 Camaro. I started off by throwing in the 3527S and bought the T1D215, T1000-1bdCP, and SubThump 15" box. Sadly, I yearned for more. So now I'm deep in it - again.

So TL;DR - Hi Everyone! :)

Joseph7195
05-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Welcome! I see the bug never really dies! I have been most impressed over the past 10 years with efficiency of amps and the improved ability to move massive amounts of air. I remember in the early 90's if one could hit 135-40 db's, you were a bad-as-s! Now people are hitting those numbers with a couple 12's and 1000 watts, lol. But I think you will fit in here just fine, Welcome to Ca.com!

Kangaroux
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Welcome! I see the bug never really dies! I have been most impressed over the past 10 with efficiency of amps and the improved ability to move massive amounts of air. I remember in the early 90's if one could hit 135-40 db's, you were a bad-as-s! Now people are hitting those numbers with a couple 12's and 1000 watts, lol. But I think you will fit in here just fine, Welcome to Ca.com!

I'm doing that off a single 12 and around 600-800w...am I cool yet?

Joseph7195
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

I am cooler because I was running 12" home speakers in my dad's Ford Maverick back in the 80's. Plus I don't have any child support.

hispls
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Might want to steer away from RF. Except for the top end amps (which are way overpriced) most of the stuff is made in China and Vietnam and nowhere near the quality or performance your nostalgia tells you it'll deliver.

IMO used prices on the BD series amps are fair and they're solid performers (though the 4K is known to randomly self destruct).

Good on you for giving the 16 yr old kid the sound system, I bet he was stoked.

CAT MAN
05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
deff TL;dr but welcome

smgreen20
05-16-2012, 11:01 PM
So where is the Clarion 920EQ?

Darkrider
05-16-2012, 11:40 PM
So where is the Clarion 920EQ?

I imagine the kid still has it installed in the Rodeo. It was a great EQ......

smgreen20
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Yes it IS still a great EQ, I want another one.

And another.

And another.

And another...

TaylorFade
05-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Welcome. Sounds like a classic transformation. Lol.

Have you considered sourcing out old school stuff on the forums, CL and eBay to satisfy your nostalgic requirements?

I tried going all old school when I got back into a few years ago. It didn't take me long to make the switch to new school stuff. But, if you're not overly concerned with sub bass output, you'll be fine rocking the OG gear.

Why So Cereal?
05-17-2012, 08:37 AM

No

Welcome OP

Kangaroux
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM
No

Welcome OP

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3f6p6z00F1qbiwxs.jpg

OldSkull
06-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Shiiiii...... You can never really reform! Bass is in your blood, not your head! look at me, I'm 38 and been "reformed" for the past 10 years, Thats why I'm only running 2 18s now! And if the kids complain bass is getting too loud, I just take my hearing aid off and problem solved! :crazy:

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg621/oldskull1/NS%20Audio/13.jpg