PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer cut out hole in the right place?

MellowHype
05-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Yoo i built my box for my Type R 12" a couple of weeks back, and im thinking that the sub should be a bit louder than what it is.
i used this box plan and made the box ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/2cubes32hz30sqin7cb.png/)

As you can see in the pic the cutout is placed in the middle of the front peice. Is this right? Should the sub cut out be in the box area where is says 1.35 Cu.Ft? So the sub is infront of the portwall?

Or does this not matter at all?
Another reason why it could be quieter than expected, is that i currently have 16awg wire and a pretty long length of it connecting it to my amp, would upgrading to 12 awg make a noticable difference/??

thanks in advance

disturbed471985
05-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Sub in center is jus fine. Box looks to be correct. So we can rule that out.. Going from 16 to 12 will gain u just about nothing but peace of mind. If you want louder then u need more power..

MellowHype
05-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Sub in center is jus fine. Box looks to be correct. So we can rule that out.. Going from 16 to 12 will gain u just about nothing but peace of mind. If you want louder then u need more power..

Ok cheers for that.

Im giving it 700wrms, and ive seen 500wrms videos on youtube and they seem to bump more than mine does, and for example their rear view mirror shakes more than mine. Im not saying i want everything to be shaking or rattling like that its just i expected alot more from a type R with 700watts. The amp is a Kicker ex1000.1 giving 700@2ohm.
I am using 4awg OFC wire.
Would things like the big 3 help out alot?

disturbed471985
05-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Whats ur voltage look like??

P.S some cars just get louder then others. Its just the way it is..

MellowHype
05-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Whats ur voltage look like??

P.S some cars just get louder then others. Its just the way it is..

I dont really know how to test it, i have a DMM. Do you know how i could find the voltage?
Also the box i made barely fits in the trunk, and the port has about 2 inches of space before it hits the back of the car, would this be a problem?

sorry for bombarding you with nooby questions lol, and thanks alot for your help

disturbed471985
05-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I dont really know how to test it, i have a DMM. Do you know how i could find the voltage?
Also the box i made barely fits in the trunk, and the port has about 2 inches of space before it hits the back of the car, would this be a problem?

sorry for bombarding you with nooby questions lol, and thanks alot for your help

Mehh 2" is more then enough clearance as long as sub is not coming in contact with anything. U can use a DMM to see what ur voltage click over to DC 200 reading pos/pos neg/neg on the amps terminals and play a nice 50hz tone and see how far she drops. But I would like to monitor my voltage from my front seat so I waould just spend the 20 bucks and buy a stinger volt meter and mount on ur dash or somewhere in the cabin where u can monitor it at all times. 4awg is fine for that amp. Big 3 is not gonna hurt so do it. It can only help and takes what 10-15mins and 10-15 bucks in power wire.

Mitch86
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Could be that you're choking off the air into the cabin. You could possibly remove the rear speakers and gain some air flow through those openings. Or it could just not be loud... :D

SourDeez
05-16-2012, 12:23 PM
New amp
New electrical
New car?

murph
05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
16 to 10 gauge may show some results. But if you want more bass it is time for an upgrade. One 12 will not be that loud so maybe time for two type r's. (Did not look at picture so I do not know if he has room for this.)

MellowHype
05-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Mehh 2" is more then enough clearance as long as sub is not coming in contact with anything. U can use a DMM to see what ur voltage click over to DC 200 reading pos/pos neg/neg on the amps terminals and play a nice 50hz tone and see how far she drops. But I would like to monitor my voltage from my front seat so I waould just spend the 20 bucks and buy a stinger volt meter and mount on ur dash or somewhere in the cabin where u can monitor it at all times. 4awg is fine for that amp. Big 3 is not gonna hurt so do it. It can only help and takes what 10-15mins and 10-15 bucks in power wire.

The power at the + & - was 13.8 @60hz at my max undistorted volume level.
is this bad?
the power at my actual battery terminals was 13.98 i think

MellowHype
05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
16 to 10 gauge may show some results. But if you want more bass it is time for an upgrade. One 12 will not be that loud so maybe time for two type r's. (Did not look at picture so I do not know if he has room for this.)

I really thought a type r 12 would be loud enough in a big ported box :/ Everyone on youtubes seem to. wouldnt be able to get two twelves, the one in the box takes up almost every inch in my trunk

TaylorFade
05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
I really thought a type r 12 would be loud enough in a big ported box :/ Everyone on youtubes seem to. wouldnt be able to get two twelves, the one in the box takes up almost every inch in my trunk

This is most likely your problem. Sub is choked back there.

but like someone else said... might just be that some cars aren't very loud.

Here's a very dumb question... are you sure the sub is wired up correctly? i.e.- at 2 ohms and both coils in phase?

jolly_26
05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
what type of car is it?

disturbed471985
05-17-2012, 03:44 AM
The power at the + & - was 13.8 @60hz at my max undistorted volume level.
is this bad?
the power at my actual battery terminals was 13.98 i think

I would do what taylor suggested and be sure sub is wired correctly. As, you should see more of a voltage drop then .1volt. Do your seats lay down? Rear speakers removed? What amp is this anyways????

Imtjnotu
05-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Bro one thing you need to learn is to not base a subs performance of YouTube videos

MellowHype
05-17-2012, 05:52 AM
This is most likely your problem. Sub is choked back there.

but like someone else said... might just be that some cars aren't very loud.

Here's a very dumb question... are you sure the sub is wired up correctly? i.e.- at 2 ohms and both coils in phase?

Ill check that out soon, might aswell check it when ive got some 10/12awg wire and uprgrade it. However im 99% sure i wired it correctly.

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

what type of car is it?

Vauxhall/Opel Corsa C...... lol

MellowHype
05-17-2012, 05:54 AM
I would do what taylor suggested and be sure sub is wired correctly. As, you should see more of a voltage drop then .1volt. Do your seats lay down? Rear speakers removed? What amp is this anyways????
Seats aren't layed down. and the rear speakers aren't removed however they are turned off at my deck.

Kicker EX1000.1 (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kic-ex1000.1-kicker-ex1000.1.html)
That is my amp.

MellowHype
05-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Bro one thing you need to learn is to not base a subs performance of YouTube videos

Yeah i know i shouldnt, but its not just that. Loads of people say the type R is real good all the reviews are good.

Mitch86
05-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Tried it with the windows down? My truck sounds like a stock setup until I roll down a window. :( but I'm guessing you're just not getting any sound in the cabin because the box is so large that its choking off air flow.

Mitch86
05-17-2012, 05:59 AM
remove the rear speakers since you're not using them anyway. Might get a little more sound into the cabin through the speaker openings.

Hintzyboy
05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
coil config on the sub?

Also, did you set your gains correctly?

MellowHype
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Seats are not layed down. rear speakers are in but not used. The amp.. Kicker EX1000.1 (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kic-ex1000.1-kicker-ex1000.1.html)

MellowHype
05-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Slight bump. for those who are saying theres not enough room for the sub and its chocking the air flow, i got some pics up to show how it looks.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/MellowHigh/IMG_0330.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/MellowHigh/IMG_0329.jpg

As you can see there is barely any room. is this the reason why its not that loud??

MellowHype
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
bump - sorry just need to hear opinions on them pics ^^
Does it look like its way too close to the tailgate?

sexiewasd
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Turn it around and fold down your seats, and test with your DMM that it's wired to the correct resistance.

MellowHype
06-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Turn it around and fold down your seats, and test with your DMM that it's wired to the correct resistance.
Cant really have back seats down as i always have people in the back. Im gonna have a go flipping it to face upright, and possibly remove parcel shelf. And yeah i think i need to check the resistance on the sub

Cheers

CAT MAN
06-05-2012, 06:54 AM
you need at least 3'' from your deck so you are deff too close.

Bostonjlguy
06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
It's impossible to trouble shoot this thing with out looking at it. For all we know he could have a low pass set too low and blocking out most of the frequencies you can hear. Infrasonic filter could be set too high but not likely. How are gains set? There are just too many variables. The best thing would be find a friend that knows what they are doing and have them look at it. How are the ports tuned? If you screwed up making the box, the output would ****!

Bostonjlguy
06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
The high pass on the deck could be cutting off low frequencies. Turn off all eq features on the deck. Which amp is powering the sub? Is it a mono block or a 2 channel? If its not mono, how many watts are you really drawing? You might think your pushing 700 watts rms, but you may be pushing far less. Put the sub in a friends car and hook it up to their amp. You can then rule out if its the sub/box or amp/deck and go from there!

dirtyunclerandy
06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe redo the box and port out the side.

MellowHype
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
It's impossible to trouble shoot this thing with out looking at it. For all we know he could have a low pass set too low and blocking out most of the frequencies you can hear. Infrasonic filter could be set too high but not likely. How are gains set? There are just too many variables. The best thing would be find a friend that knows what they are doing and have them look at it. How are the ports tuned? If you screwed up making the box, the output would ****!
Low pass is set at around 100hz. Subsonic at 25ishhz. Gains are set using a DMM, at 37.4V(700watts@2ohm). The box is slot ported to 32hz.

The high pass on the deck could be cutting off low frequencies. Turn off all eq features on the deck. Which amp is powering the sub? Is it a mono block or a 2 channel? If its not mono, how many watts are you really drawing? You might think your pushing 700 watts rms, but you may be pushing far less. Put the sub in a friends car and hook it up to their amp. You can then rule out if its the sub/box or amp/deck and go from there!
All gains have been set with all eq's off, HPF on deck is off. The amp is a Kicker Ex1000.1, mono.

MellowHype
06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
So ive moved everything around, so the sub now has more clearance from any wall.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/MellowHigh/P1030882.jpg

The clearance from the parcel shelf when down -
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/MellowHigh/P1030880.jpg
When im listening to a bass heavy song on my max undestorted vol, the shelf barely moves.
I might have to build a new box, for some reason i think it might be too big.

amps-
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/MellowHigh/P1030878.jpg

Sleeklsc
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Did you ever recheck the wiring in the box? If they're hooked up backwards it'll still show the correct ohms on a dmm.

Have you tried switching + and - ?

MellowHype
06-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you ever recheck the wiring in the box? If they're hooked up backwards it'll still show the correct ohms on a dmm.

Have you tried switching + and - ?

No i didnt but i will tommorow if i have the time. and no i havent tried switching, but isnt that the same as phase? if so ive tried both phase settings on the deck and on the amp and that hasnt really helped.