PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help please.

plantinseeds
05-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi, I'm almost finished building my box for my SA12's. All I need to do now is cut some 45 degree angle pieces for the inside of the box and cut out the holes + port

Only problem is I don't have a table saw to cut 45 degree angles with... What can I use to cut 45's with safely?

Is there anything besides MDF I can use to get curved corners?

Also does have 45 degree angles on the inside of your box actually make a big difference vs. having 90 degree corners?

mylows10
05-15-2012, 10:12 PM
they can , they help with the strength and the air flow,the down fall is it also cuts down on the air space of the box too

caewen
05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
For the 45's you can use a circular saw, level or some other strait edge for a strait edge cut and a couple clamps to hold the level in place. cut one side then then measure and cut the other side to make your 45. I would suggest if possible to cut it off of a full length of MDF if you can. Then cut that long piece down into the lengths you need.

plantinseeds
05-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Buck Moble Enclosurs

What do you guys think?

Do 45's make a noticeable difference? I don't have access to a table saw :L

Buck
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
You will be fine without them.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

You can tilt most skill saws I believe.

Moble Enclosurs
05-16-2012, 01:07 AM
They can make more of a difference in a smaller design with a small compression chamber, and a port area of minimal-less than optimal area, where you want to minimize resonances also. There are two locations for the 45s to be used and they have their purposes in each. 1. the compression chamber-for added support and resonance reduction from the corners where high pressure builds up 2. in the port-to smooth the flow of the propagated sound waves and reduce port issues with resonances.

The 45s do not effect the reduction in port noise as much as one may think as the area has more of a control of that factor, more so even at the beginning of the port rather than the end of it, but still a factor.

So, they are needed for those cases, BUT not in all designs, and it depends on what the layout is and what the purpose is of the design. If it is an spl based design for compression, the 45s in the compression chamber make less of a difference in the output, but more so in the port....as an example.