PDA

View Full Version : Downfiring box in trunk, good/bad idea..

cjj2d
03-24-2004, 11:22 AM
I am wondering if a downfiring sub box to hold a 15 would be a bad idea in the trunk of my ALtima. I am thinking this so I can still put my golf clubs back there without them hitting my subs.

homer3304
03-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Bad idea. Subs have to have a "enclusure" to fire into. That is why everyone fires their subs toward the back of the car instead of toward the back seat in a trunk.

supraman1379
03-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Homers right dude. Fire them another direction.

Benny212
03-27-2004, 10:50 PM
how about instead of firing them down you just buy some grills. The waffle ones are ugly as all hell, but they are cheap and will protect your subs from golf clubs

helotaxi
03-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Disregard what was said above. It will not hurt anything to downfire the sub. I am about to do the very same thing actually.

nosaj070
03-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Disregard what was said above.

:) I love that kinda stuff haha.

Anyway he is right, it will do exactly what they said. But what you need to realize is that every car is different, now generally speaking firing off of the back of the trunk from a few inches yields the best results, generally. Downfiring would not cause any problems assuming your floor is solid and isn't going to absorb too much, but reflect it rather. I see no problem with down firing, and it can make you're trunk look very nice, but what you could also do is just aim the sub towards the seats and nothing will be able to hit it then.