PDA

View Full Version : Help A Noob Out! Please :)

Quick
05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Alright so I want to make a box. The box I have now is particle board so that is really bad I hear lol. I know I need to buy some MDF wood from Home depot, and that I have to make a rectangle, but that's about all I got lol. IM A COMPLETE NOOB. Let me get that out of the way so please have some patience with me. I don't really know the lingo for stereo's so it trips me up, and if I do know the abbreviation for it, doesn't mean I know what it does. I see the words your box is tuned to say 50 hz, I don't really know what that means.

My setup is a Kicker 250.2 amp and I have 2 Volfenhag 500RMS 12" subs. They are 6 and a half inches deep. I really need help on a good dimension, and whether it should be ported or not, I need help from people that know what they're doing, like all of you! I would like some dimensions if you guys could help me with that, and some clues on what to do with tuning and stuff. Let me know the dimensions and I'll see if I can make it fit in my trunk.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you can help me out!

Here are my Subwoofer specs:
12" Dual 4 ohms Competition Subwoofer
Power Handling:
Peak: 1000 watts
RMS: 500 watts
Impedance: Dual 4 ohms
Reinforced aluminum curvilinear woofer
Oversized butyl rubber surround
5 spoke Die-cast aluminum basket
2 Flat ultra excursion
Double damper magnetic motor assembly
4 Layer Dual 4 Ohm high temperature black aluminum voice coil
160 oz. Double stacked ferrite magnet structure
Sensitivity: 90 dB
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Here are my Amps specs:
RMS Power @ 4 ohms 85 watts x 2 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 125 watts x 2 channels
RMS Power @ 1 ohm N/A
Bridged RMS Power 250 watts x 1 channel
Peak Power Output N/A
Amplifier Specifications
Amplifier Class AB
Number of Channels 2
Total Peak Power Output N/A
Total RMS Power Output 250 watts
Maximum Input Gauge Size 8 AWG
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged 4 ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power 1%
Speaker Level Inputs Yes
Preamp Outputs 1 pair
Built-in Crossover Low-pass (LP)
High-pass (HP)
Full (AP)
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 50 - 200 Hz
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 50 - 200 Hz
Subsonic Filter N/A
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 95 dB
Channel Separation N/A
Bass Boost 0 - 18 dB
Bass/Gain Remote No
Fan Cooled No
Fuse Rating 40A x 1

dirtyunclerandy
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I can't find any info on what size box those subs like. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Quick
05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I can't find any info on what size box those subs like. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Yeah they are discontinued so not much is known about them, plus they weren't a huge brand like kicker or anything. Is there like a generic size and fits a lot of subs?

resonate
05-14-2012, 09:15 PM
To be truly honest with you, I'd drop those subs onto somebody on Craigslist and pick up something different..

Quick
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
To be truly honest with you, I'd drop those subs onto somebody on Craigslist and pick up something different..

Lol a guy told me I was going to get told that.. but If I sell them I can't get anything as good for the same money. So for now until I can get something better I wanted to get a box that will make them better than they are now.

DoesDad
05-14-2012, 09:31 PM

I have to agree with Tilt..... If you have to use em' find a prefab that's tuned somewhat low (32-35 hz.) and that should be vast improvement to what they sound like now. That's about all the Volfenhaags deserve.

Quick
05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I have to agree with Tilt..... If you have to use em' find a prefab that's tuned somewhat low (32-35 hz.) and that should be vast improvement to what they sound like now. That's about all the Volfenhaags deserve.

Alright, can I make one with that low of tune? What exactly does tuning do like with the hz or w\e?

Oh and what determines the tune of a box, when you just put dimensions together and make a rectangle? lol

Also what makes my volf's so bad? 500 RMS doesn't seem that bad does it? Maybe vs you guys that can bust windshields :P I just wanna be able to get a much better performance from these subs, Going from a particle wood to MDF wood will help it performance louder a lot better right?

07denali
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
You can find decent subs on CL for under $100.

DoesDad
05-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Sure you can make one. Your best bet is to get the help of a builder on here. They can draw up the plans for you pretty cheap and you can slap it together.

bgowdy31
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
or like said above... why dont you get 1 15:
Street Duty SDC2.5-15-D4 Subwoofer (http://www.audioque.com/Street-Duty-SDC25-15-D4-Subwoofer_p_12.html)

resonate
05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Alright, can I make one with that low of tune? What exactly does tuning do like with the hz or w\e?

Oh and what determines the tune of a box, when you just put dimensions together and make a rectangle? lol

Also what makes my volf's so bad? 500 RMS doesn't seem that bad does it? Maybe vs you guys that can bust windshields :P I just wanna be able to get a much better performance from these subs, Going from a particle wood to MDF wood will help it performance louder a lot better right?

Oh boy..here we go. :rolleyes:

1.) I only know the general basics of the concept, but 'tuning' is the area of frequencies where a ported box will be most efficient. For example, if a box is tuned at 35 hz, it will sound much more full and loud on the lower notes around 35 hz, as opposed to the higher frequencies. The tuning of a box depends on the specs of it's port. (And since tuning involves ports, sealed boxes obviously have no tuning frequency.)

2) I wouldn't consider your subs 'bad', because every brand has its ups and downs (some much more than others), but there are definitely better options on the market. 500w RMS doesn't, at all, determine how good of a subwoofer that particular driver is. It just shows the power suggested by the manufacturer where they felt the driver was reaching it's potential. (For example, a 300w RMS sub could easily sound better than a 1000w RMS subwoofer. It just depends on the sub itself and the application.)

Hope this helped a little bit on your understanding.

dirtyunclerandy
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
I can throw a design together for you. It won't be anything special but it will be better than a prefab. What kind of car? How big is your trunk? How much of that trunk are you will to give up?

Quick
05-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh boy..here we go. :rolleyes:

1.) I only know the general basics of the concept, but 'tuning' is the area of frequencies where a ported box will be most efficient. For example, if a box is tuned at 35 hz, it will sound much more full and loud on the lower notes around 35 hz, as opposed to the higher frequencies. The tuning of a box depends on the specs of it's port. (And since tuning involves ports, sealed boxes obviously have no tuning frequency.)

2) I wouldn't consider your subs 'bad', because every brand has its ups and downs (some much more than others), but there are definitely better options on the market. 500w RMS doesn't, at all, determine how good of a subwoofer that particular driver is. It just shows the power suggested by the manufacturer where they felt the driver was reaching it's potential. (For example, a 300w RMS sub could easily sound better than a 1000w RMS subwoofer. It just depends on the sub itself and the application.)

Hope this helped a little bit on your understanding.

Alright thanks that does help, I always thought higher RMS means better and louder subs.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I can throw a design together for you. It won't be anything special but it will be better than a prefab. What kind of car? How big is your trunk? How much of that trunk are you will to give up?

Sure that would be awesome! I'll get the dimensions tomorrow, my whole trunk is usable because I don't put anything in there :D

SuperSaeYoung
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
How old are these subs and what model are they if they have any?

mylows10
05-15-2012, 12:57 AM
those subs are flee market subs , sorry to say , but total garbage

Quick
05-15-2012, 01:24 AM
didn't work, so bump :P

Quick
05-15-2012, 01:31 AM
:\ they was hard to find cuz of being discontinued, and i heard they would withstand a lot of power and was decently cheap so I got them thinking they was good :\

Why do some people put their subs inside out tho? Like some have the magnet inside the box and some have it out in the air.

Quick
05-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Got another question! I have 2 12" KENWOOD subs, are they underperforming subs? I can't use my amp all the way I don't think without blowing them. Here are the specs. Also, my Volf's out bump those kenwoods. (probably because I can put all power to my volf's

Subwoofer Series Performance (Kenwood)
Subwoofer Size 12"
Peak Power Handling 1200 watts
RMS Power Handling 400 watts
Voice Coil(s) Single
Impedance (Per Voice Coil) 4 ohms
Frequency Response 34 - 300 Hz
Sensitivity 85 dB
Xmax (millimeters) 15.1 mm
Subwoofer Design Round / Circle
Main Cone Color Black
Woofer Composition Polypropylene
Woofer Surround Urethane
Subwoofer Grille No
Re-Cone Kit Available No
Recommended Enclosure Specifications
Recommended Enclosure Type Ported / Vented
Sealed
Minimum Sealed Box Volume 1.25 cubic feet
Maximum Sealed Box Volume 1.75 cubic feet
Minimum Ported Box Volume 2.0 cubic feet
Maximum Ported Box Volume 2.5 cubic feet
Top-Mount Depth 6-1/4"
Cutout Diameter 11"
Shallow Mount Installation No

Quick
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Dirtyrandy I got the dimensions if you could get me a box design that would be awesome.

12" tall, 35" wide, 38" deep

goingdef
05-15-2012, 11:49 PM
wow man if you think the volfs are everything you have soooooooooooo much to learn! and also if they where to see anything close to 500 watts they would fail in seconds, build a decent box for the kenwoods there are a better speaker.

Quick
05-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I want to I Love my kens but I can't turn my amp up all the way or I feel like they are going to blow. Any reason why my lens can take my amPs heat but my volfs can?

resonate
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Alright thanks that does help, I always thought higher RMS means better and louder subs.

It's a common misconception, but it's not necessarily true. For example, Sundown sells an 'E' series subwoofer rated for 400w RMS - and they get reviews that mention that they top some of the Type Rs. (600/750w). It's just about the build of the sub.

Quick
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
It's a common misconception, but it's not necessarily true. For example, Sundown sells an 'E' series subwoofer rated for 400w RMS - and they get reviews that mention that they top some of the Type Rs. (600/750w). It's just about the build of the sub.

Can anyone answer all of my questions tho please? And I guess randy isn't Gna help me out with dimensions :\

Quick
05-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Bump help please :)

resonate
05-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Bump help please :)

FYI - don't bump so often. I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to do it more than once in a 24 hour period..

MisterDeadeye
05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
FYI - don't bump so often. I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to do it more than once in a 24 hour period..

I don't believe it is.

09civic
05-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Mods don't get a flying ****. You can bump whenever you want.

resonate
05-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't believe it is.

Hmm..I guess I was thinking of something else.

Carry on. :laugh:

MisterDeadeye
05-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Hmm..I guess I was thinking of something else.

Carry on. :laugh:

If it's any consolation, I think most forums have that rule.

dirtyunclerandy
05-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Dirtyrandy I got the dimensions if you could get me a box design that would be awesome.

12" tall, 35" wide, 38" deep

Sorry, I am out of town for the next ten days without my computer. Maybe quicker to have Buck design you one. Think it's $5-10 for a design. You must have the shortest trunk ever at 12 inches tall

xSPLoder
05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Just buy a prefab ported box for $60 and call it a day. Amazon or ebay

xSPLoder
05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh, and put the kenwoods in it. If the volfs are only 500RMS, i dont think you will have too big of an issue running the 400RMS Kenwoods. You might just have to re-tune the amp once they are in a new enclosure because the enclosure will make it sound louder.

Quick
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Oh, and put the kenwoods in it. If the volfs are only 500RMS, i dont think you will have too big of an issue running the 400RMS Kenwoods. You might just have to re-tune the amp once they are in a new enclosure because the enclosure will make it sound louder.

Sellin everything, buyin new :)

Quick
05-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Sorry, I am out of town for the next ten days without my computer. Maybe quicker to have Buck design you one. Think it's $5-10 for a design. You must have the shortest trunk ever at 12 inches tall

First off, what do you expect out of a mustang lmao >.< and second, the actual trunk is a lot bigger, but the entrance points are only that big. :suicide: