PDA

View Full Version : Ramos! Let's Talk Bondo!

Omarvelous
03-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Ok, u seem to know a lot about bondo.

I bought some Bondo Body Filler, from Bondo the company.

The instructions are.....sketchy to me.

They say for every 3 in diameter circle, 1/2 in thick of filler i should use 3 in stip of hardener?

Does this sound right?

Reason i ask is, it's a lot of filler for such a small amount of hardner.

And on a side note, just want to make sure.

-Bondo the imperfections
-Sand while hardening (Grit A)
-Primer
-Sand (Grit B)
-Paint

For Grit A and B, what do you recommend?

Thanks a lot man U ROCK!

ramos
03-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Nah, it's all the fiberglass and body filler fumes I have absorbed over the years that sank in :D

It sounds about right to me . But I myself would do a little expiramenting with small amounts of each to get the mixture right for your current weather. If it's cold ( below 60 ) you might need to mix it a little hotter ( more mekp ) warmer a little less. Too hot though will make the bondo brittle when it dries.

For A the roughest you can find. The absolute best thing to use is a cheese grater style body file. What your doing here is getting rid of all of the ridges and high spots in the filler.

B will need to come before the primer.
B I would step down progressivly from 120 to 400 or 500 grit.

Anything else let me know :)

Trixter
03-24-2004, 11:07 AM
You may also want to apply a small skim coat after sanding if there are any pin holes. A few layers of primer and some blocking should take care of any imperfections or sand scratches after that.

Personally, I would finish sanding my bondo after the 400 grit and then do 400 and then 600 blocking (possibly even wet depending on the finish you are looking for).

Omarvelous
03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys.

What did you use to mix and apply it?

Was thinking wooden splint sticks.

Trixter
03-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Look around at a body supply shop. They have spreaders of different sizes that are used for that.

BDIDDY
03-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Usually you would use a rubber spactula or spreader (?). But DEFINATElY sand while it's like hard play-doh. That way the ridges and everything are taken care of. If you have a big surface, hell even a small one, a D/A or Orbital sander does wonders. I sanded my bondo down with something like 30 grit or so. I can't remember what it was I just asked for the grittiest **** I could find.

Hope this helps...