PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a subwoofer to a receiver

jockhater2
05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Subwoofer to receiver - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hid9oYXQCZE)

I am having a hard time with this. Is it because its plugged into an outlet? I don't get it. Because the person who I bought it from I am pretty sure had it hooked up this way.

Do I need different cables for the line in from the sub to the receiver?

cerwin vega AVS-Sub8

Sony STR-DE695

keep_hope_alive
05-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Did you resolve this? I can look into the manuals and go into detail of you haven't.

keep_hope_alive
05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Subwoofer to receiver - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hid9oYXQCZE)

nicely done asking a question with a utube video. the lighting was too poor to be of much use though.

yes, it is ok to have the sub amp plugged into an outlet. you do not have to use the back of the receiver to power a sub, nor do i recommend it (unless you verify the power requirement of the sub is less than the printed capability of the receptacle on the receiver. usually, they are 100W or less.

most powered subs are auto-on, meaning they look for a signal and turn on when needed. it is possible you just aren't giving it enough of a signal.

it is also possible the sub is blown or the amp is fried, given that you got it at a rummage sale and haven't gotten it to work with any source yet. have you removed the sub and verified it's coils are good?

for the signal on the back of the receiver, use the mono SUB OUT plug. there is only one, so either use an RCA Y-adapter or just run one cable to the sub.

jockhater2
05-19-2012, 11:09 PM
nicely done asking a question with a utube video. the lighting was too poor to be of much use though.

yes, it is ok to have the sub amp plugged into an outlet. you do not have to use the back of the receiver to power a sub, nor do i recommend it (unless you verify the power requirement of the sub is less than the printed capability of the receptacle on the receiver. usually, they are 100W or less.

most powered subs are auto-on, meaning they look for a signal and turn on when needed. it is possible you just aren't giving it enough of a signal.

it is also possible the sub is blown or the amp is fried, given that you got it at a rummage sale and haven't gotten it to work with any source yet. have you removed the sub and verified it's coils are good?

for the signal on the back of the receiver, use the mono SUB OUT plug. there is only one, so either use an RCA Y-adapter or just run one cable to the sub.

The sub might be broken. we hooked up another polk 10 we have and it works. so we'll see.