PDA

View Full Version : screws that won't break

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I was finishing up my box last night and when I went to screw the subs down to the baffle and the stainless steel screws I bought, that were supposed to be 'extra strong' were stripping up faster than my standard sheetrock screws. The stainless steel screws however, weren't having the heads snap off completely once I got them tightened down.

So my question is... what kind of screws can I use that won't strip so easily or break off at all.

I did pre-drill for these screws, and I am very experienced with tools and building so it's not user error with these screws.

Thanks for any and all info/ help you can provide me.

audiobaun
05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
square head/deep,not slotted,can be found at home depot/lowes/building supply:santa:

fasfocus00
05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
are you using a fine thread or coarse thread? coarse minimizes you stripping the wood. also what are you pre-drilling to, the width of the screw including the thread or just the body of the screw?

Buck
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
You may want to try a countersink bit the flush the head into the wood. You may want to get an impact drill. Regardless of whatever, you have to keep a decent amount of pressure behind the drill while screwing into the box because the MDF will try to keep it from turning and you'll strip the screw. Also, it's very easy to over-torque and strip screws, so once it's tight, back off it.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Also, make sure you clamp the piece while you are screwing them together.

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
sorry I should have specified, the head of the screw is stripping, it is a phillips head srew. I pre-drilled fairly small compared to the size of the screw shaft it self, but it seems to be a fine thread style, and it's definitely not stripping out of the wood as of yet.

Buck
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
If you are stripping the head, just make sure you push hard. I mean you have to push pretty hard sometimes man, and if you are at the wrong angle you'll strip it quick and eat up your phillips bit. Done it a few times...

fasfocus00
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
sorry I should have specified, the head of the screw is stripping, it is a phillips head srew. I pre-drilled fairly small compared to the size of the screw shaft it self, but it seems to be a fine thread style, and it's definitely not stripping out of the wood as of yet.

if this is the case, you'll want to look at a square head or torx head screw. the colored deck screws at home depot have a square head and spax has torx head. also if your stripping the head, you using the right size bit? sounds like your using a size to small.

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
You may want to try a countersink bit the flush the head into the wood. You may want to get an impact drill. Regardless of whatever, you have to keep a decent amount of pressure behind the drill while screwing into the box because the MDF will try to keep it from turning and you'll strip the screw. Also, it's very easy to over-torque and strip screws, so once it's tight, back off it.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Also, make sure you clamp the piece while you are screwing them together.

Thanks for the info, The baffle is two layers of 3/4 inch mdf that has been glued and pressed and screwed together.

Yea i was putting some serious pressure on the screws to get them in, I did get 3 of them all the way in a tight before I started stripping the heads. Luckily I was able to apply enough pressure to get those 3 screws out.

Buck
05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info, The baffle is two layers of 3/4 inch mdf that has been glued and pressed and screwed together.

Yea i was putting some serious pressure on the screws to get them in, I did get 3 of them all the way in a tight before I started stripping the heads. Luckily I was able to apply enough pressure to get those 3 screws out.

Ah double baffle are usually when they break. Screw the screw in like half way, pause for just a half second and screw it the rest of the way in. They tend to generate a lot of heat while going through 2 baffles. I watch a guy break off about 30 screw heads in one box on the double baffle. They simply get to hot and break.

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I suppose I may technically be using the wrong head or bit for the screw, but it definitely fits better than some other screws. The stainless steel seems almost 'soft' with how easily it stripped. I will definitely look in to the deep square or torx head bits.

and word, Buck, I know how to drive some screws.

The only reason i went and got these stainless steel screws was because the multipurpose/sheetrock screws I built the box with were snaping the heads off when i was securing the 3rd layer to the baffle. I guess having 2 solid inches of thread grip was enough to pop the head off.

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Ah double baffle are usually when they break. Screw the screw in like half way, pause for just a half second and screw it the rest of the way in. They tend to generate a lot of heat while going through 2 baffles. I watch a guy break off about 30 screw heads in one box on the double baffle. They simply get to hot and break.

hmm that makes sense for sure, never thought it was the head but that makes sense for sure. Would a deck screw vs. a sheet rock screw be stronger? I just don't wanna get the screw almost all the way in just to break the head off last minute haha.

audiobaun
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
square heads all day long..no more phillips heads or slotted.they torche in..counter sinking will help alot..go get $2 worth try them out for yourself.

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
square heads all day long..no more phillips heads or slotted.they torche in..counter sinking will help alot..go get $2 worth try them out for yourself.

right on man, I know when I was doing home renovations and such all they used were square heads and I knew it was cause they have a much better grip.

Stupid me, thinking that these 1$ a piece stainless steel screws could hold up to the job haha

Jerhemy
05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
just went to the Ace hardware down the street, got a nice vice grips and manually turned the screws out by hand. Also got some T20 torx driven premium deck screws that really seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys!

dirtyunclerandy
05-08-2012, 10:30 PM
just went to the Ace hardware down the street, got a nice vice grips and manually turned the screws out by hand. Also got some T20 torx driven premium deck screws that really seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys!

THe torx work great. Very easy to drive them in.

logiball
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I have always had good luck with phillips pan head machine screws. They sit flush on the mounting ring and if you get the coarse thread they bite pretty good. Another trick my wood shop teacher showed me back in the day is get a bar of soap and rake the threads across it before you screw it in and that will make it go in alot easier. Good luck

logiball
05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
and ALWAYS use something to cover the cone/surround while you are fastening the speaker to whatever....lol I use my hand because bandaids are cheaper than surrounds......

Buck
05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
and ALWAYS use something to cover the cone/surround while you are fastening the speaker to whatever....lol I use my hand because bandaids are cheaper than surrounds......

Until you almost poke a hole in a finger (did that) or a hand. Then you wish it was the sub :crap:

I use a 120 psi nail gun with 15 gauge nails, 1.5" long :cool:

RangerDangerV2
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
grade 8 1/4 inch square head bolts with t nuts

MisterDeadeye
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM

Yeah, but is a trip to the ER and surgery less than a recone?

logiball
05-08-2012, 11:24 PM
very good points but you learn quickly to be careful lol!! another fairly safe bet is one of those sleeve things that covers your bit and screw that seems to work pretty well.

RangerDangerV2
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
oh and invest a good impact.... I just bought a brand new milwaukee set... made a huge difference.

Buck
05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
oh and invest a good impact.... I just bought a brand new milwaukee set... made a huge difference.

This does make a HUGE difference.

logiball
05-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Just a quick tip on the impact driver......make sure you buy the combo kit with the regular drill and the impact. I bought the bosch set and each drill alone was like $150-$160 but the combo kit for both was $180. Just tryin to help people not get ripped off lol

audiobaun
05-08-2012, 11:56 PM
I have always had good luck with phillips pan head machine screws. They sit flush on the mounting ring and if you get the coarse thread they bite pretty good. Another trick my wood shop teacher showed me back in the day is get a bar of soap and rake the threads across it before you screw it in and that will make it go in alot easier. Good luck

nice!! ill try that out next time..thanks for the info

RangerDangerV2
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Just a quick tip on the impact driver......make sure you buy the combo kit with the regular drill and the impact. I bought the bosch set and each drill alone was like $150-$160 but the combo kit for both was $180. Just tryin to help people not get ripped off lol

here's what I got Milwaukee 2697-22 18 Volt M18 2-Tool Combo Kit (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSNJ_enUS476US476&q=milwaukee+drill+set&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16543940975095928097&sa=X&ei=gOupT4uqG4So8QSt0rmbDA&ved=0CMoBEPMCMAE)

dirtyunclerandy
05-09-2012, 12:05 AM
here's what I got Milwaukee 2697-22 18 Volt M18 2-Tool Combo Kit (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1TSNJ_enUS476US476&q=milwaukee+drill+set&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16543940975095928097&sa=X&ei=gOupT4uqG4So8QSt0rmbDA&ved=0CMoBEPMCMAE)

I have that drill and its beast. MDF is no problem with that.

RangerDangerV2
05-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I have that drill and its beast. MDF is no problem with that.

FOR SURE!!! one of my favorite purchases....