PDA

View Full Version : Wood Type

cyn
05-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Okay... I'm going to get a sheet of wood today to start my box build for my AA 15 since I fried my VC's in my Skar some how....

Here are the choices I have all sheets cost the same $44 a sheet.

Japanese Maple
White Oak
Birch
MDF - $28

out of them which is the best one to get.. I know everyone talks about Birch but what about Japanese Maple and White Oak?

wenn_du_weinst
05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
to be honest the 3 ply wood types will sound very similar, the mdf may sound less bright. That being said I seriously doubt you will hear anything when using it for a subwoofer. I'd get the "birch"
which is actually birch laminate over pine.

fasfocus00
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
i say just get the 3/4" MDF, it's tried and true as well as cost effective.

Kangaroux
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Get Aruacoply at HD. Costs $31 here, 7 ply, looks and sounds great.

cyn
05-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Get Aruacoply at HD. Costs $31 here, 7 ply, looks and sounds great.

Just checked they don't carry that here...

cyn
05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
to be honest the 3 ply wood types will sound very similar, the mdf may sound less bright. That being said I seriously doubt you will hear anything when using it for a subwoofer. I'd get the "birch"
which is actually birch laminate over pine.

I've always used MDF and trying to do something different, I plan on doing a Stain on the box and building a false floor and staining it also..
Only diff. I seen when I was looking at them was the White Oak was actually 50% lighter than the Birch or Japanese Maple and the Maple was Lighter than the Birch

cyn
05-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Aight... I'm going to go get some Birch, and see how this does, hopefully I can get HD or Lowes to Cut it for me while I'm there. Well cut it to where I can get it into the Car anyway.

fasfocus00
05-05-2012, 03:00 PM
just curious but what are you cutting it with and what's the final finish?

cyn
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
just curious but what are you cutting it with and what's the final finish?

I had them rough cut it 1" bigger than I needed.. will be using a finishing blade to trim it.. will do the box in a ebony stain then 4 layers of clear

cyn
05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Okay I went with the japanese maple... they didnt have any birch left and wouldnt have any in for three weeks.. will be posting pics up when i get home and start

wenn_du_weinst
05-05-2012, 06:12 PM
the grain on that wood is rather nice.

cyn
05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
the grain on that wood is rather nice.

Yes it is. I think it should look good with the ebony stain. I am going to do the inside to see how it looks first tho. If it doesnt turn out the way i like ill do a dark maple stain.

cyn
05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
All Trimmed Up and Sanded smooth on the corners and sides.

http://db.tt/55OFTZCn

Eh... First time I actually had everything meet and join 100% Correctly lol... When the box is almost done... Top plate left to put on, I will sand the inside completely then stain It.. Then run a few layers of sealer over it.. This will take a few days to do. I am taking my time on this box.. I will also round over all the corners when I'm completely done.. will be doing a light round over maybe 1/4 or less
http://db.tt/rtJHRmms

SuperSaeYoung
05-06-2012, 06:09 AM
More pics!

cyn
05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
More pics!

lol just waking up haven't started doing anything yet today lol... I can say this, If anyone that reads this and it is the first time you are building a box Get the right tools the first time, Clamps, good table work area, It makes the world of difference. And take your time when doing it also don't get in a rush at all.

VisceralSound
05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
If this 15 is going in your impala I'd be interested in seeing what it does/sounds since my Malibu might have roughly the same trunk area.

*watching

ssteele18
05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
lol just waking up haven't started doing anything yet today lol... I can say this, If anyone that reads this and it is the first time you are building a box Get the right tools the first time, Clamps, good table work area, It makes the world of difference. And take your time when doing it also don't get in a rush at all.

True story bro...

cyn
05-06-2012, 05:34 PM
If this 15 is going in your impala I'd be interested in seeing what it does/sounds since my Malibu might have roughly the same trunk area.

*watching

Yes this 15 is going in the impala.. box is 36 x 16 x 16.. 3.5cu net at 32hz
Also I only have been able to get one more side on before i left the house this morning. When i get home i will be cutting my 45s and putting the front and ports on. Hopefully anyway lol