PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter in a 2003 Santa FE

The Drizzle
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I want to replace the speakers in my Santa Fe with something better than the factory provided ones. I was looking at the Pioneer TS-D1602's because all the component speakers I've come across seem to have problems fitting the tweeter in the door. I'm not trying to cut the hole for the tweeter any bigger because that would be a disaster (I'm terrible at cutting anything). Anybody know of any component sets that have a small enough tweeter that I can fit in my car, or should I just stick with replacing just the 6.5"s and keeping the tweeters in place? Thanks in advance

zako
05-05-2012, 03:28 AM
I'd recommend to replace both the tweeter and the woofer. If you're using passive crossovers, leaving some old pieces in place is like replacing an old car with a new car, yet deciding to keep on using old car's transmission in the new car. Will it work well? Probably only by luck. If you were running active crossovers, then you would have more flexibility in matching a factory tweeter with an aftermarket woofer.

How small are your tweeter mounting locations? You can always try to take the tweeter out of its cup, and try to install the bare tweeter. One relatively small tweeter is Vifa OT19NC00-04, but that's just a tweeter without woofer or crossover. It should be used ideally with active crossovers.

maylar
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
What I did in my install is destroy the factory tweeter with a Dremmel tool and chop it from the mounting flange. Then I glued the new tweet to the old mount. Not pretty, but it works.

I think standard tweeter sizes go down to 3/4". Not sure if there's anything smaller.