PDA

View Full Version : idea...

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
some of you may remember my box dilemma with my mounting holes... well I had an idea of cutting out a 1 inch area of where the holes were drilled, epoxying steel block to the cutouts, drilling and tapping them, and then mounting my 18 to the blocks... do you guys see any drawbacks to this?? I would think that it would be super strong as long as the proper adhesive was used to glue the steel blocks to the box... input please.

audiobaun
05-03-2012, 05:23 PM
im wondering if that area you are going to be modifying will support the weight of the sub, and the modification? i myself would create a new face/baffil to be sure for security/support

audiobaun
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM
i would also be concerned about the heavy vibration over a period of time making the glue joint weaken/possibly breaking

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
im wondering if that area you are going to be modifying will support the weight of the sub, and the modification? i myself would create a new face/baffil to be sure for security/support

I would have to create a new box because the wood will break before the glue.... and I think that steel blocks should be strong enough...

wenn_du_weinst
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
why would you do this when it's more work then just building a new box?

audiobaun
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I would have to create a new box because the wood will break before the glue.... and I think that steel blocks should be strong enough...

just sounds like alot to go through rather than taking a sheet /partial sheet of new mdf/? and putting/screwing down for a new face, and cutting a hole for the sub,take like 1/2 hour to do with measuring/cutting/less work/more stability..but try it out and see how she does..im curious...you giong to be using like gorilla appoxxy or loctite?you have pics of the issue for us to look at?

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 07:18 PM
just sounds like alot to go through rather than taking a sheet /partial sheet of new mdf/? and putting/screwing down for a new face, and cutting a hole for the sub,take like 1/2 hour to do with measuring/cutting/less work/more stability..but try it out and see how she does..im curious...you giong to be using like gorilla appoxxy or loctite?you have pics of the issue for us to look at?

ok heres the new idea.... I will take a ring of metal cut out to the shape of my subwoofer cutout, it will be about 1 inch wide... It is sort of like an oversized washer. then I will weld threaded rod to the part of the "washer where the holes are, then mount the washer to the inside of the baffle ( the washer will have to be cut in half to fit into the inside of the box) I will use this thick foam tape to stop any vibration noise between the baffle and the washer, then I will mount the sub to the baffle, use some nyloc nuts and voila sub is mounted and the weight is distributed througout the entire cutout area instead of the small contact points of the t nuts... hopefully you guys can understand this, I will post pics in my build log when I get this finished...

wenn_du_weinst
05-03-2012, 07:20 PM
there is no point in that, your over engineering it

miker
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
How about a ring of wooden studs 4+ depending on their size, wooden dowels would work well... Easy cheap and extremely strong.

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
there is no point in that, your over engineering it

what would you reccommend for an 80 pound sub that is sitting horizontally???

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

How about a ring of wooden studs 4+ depending on their size, wooden dowels would work well... Easy cheap and extremely strong.

I prefer steel

wenn_du_weinst
05-03-2012, 07:35 PM
by using screws like I mounted my sub.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9413/0521091844.jpg
that sub weighs more then the apxx does and had zero problems.

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
by using screws like I mounted my sub.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9413/0521091844.jpg
that sub weighs more then the apxx does and had zero problems.

thats what the plan was but three of the holes are waaay too close to the edge and the mdf would break right away....

wenn_du_weinst
05-03-2012, 07:38 PM
so rebuild the box instead of trying to ghetto rig something to work. What your proposing will not only cost more but take more time.

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I have thousands of pounds of steel at my house so the cost is free and it wont take more than a half hour to build... and to rebuild my box would be even more time and more money... thanks for the help though wdw

audiobaun
05-03-2012, 07:47 PM
interested in seeing the final product

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
interested in seeing the final product

in short it is a big washer with 1/4 inch bolts connected to it.

Full Tilt
05-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Dude, if you're gonna defend it so hardcore, then just do it. I'm rather interested to see the finished product myself. But if you're going to keep shooting down ideas and defend your own, then just do it already.

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Dude, if you're gonna defend it so hardcore, then just do it. I'm rather interested to see the finished product myself. But if you're going to keep shooting down ideas and defend your own, then just do it already.

um... I am doing it??? but my generator is broken and it is my only 220 volt source so I have to wait till tomorrow to do it....

Full Tilt
05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
um... I am doing it??? but my generator is broken and it is my only 220 volt source so I have to wait till tomorrow to do it....

Well, get some pics up ASAP. :nerd:

RangerDangerV2
05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, get some pics up ASAP. :nerd:

will do... I think that this will be the strongest mount ever... I may just patent it lol

king nothing
05-04-2012, 07:50 PM
will do... I think that this will be the strongest mount ever... I may just patent it lolIts only as strong as the wood that its glued/screwed/bolted to. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link

RangerDangerV2
05-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Its only as strong as the wood that its glued/screwed/bolted to. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link

double baffle brah.